Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a 99 shadow that got wrecked. A few years ago I decided to pull the engine off the bike and since it was a good running engine, to make a boat motor out of it. Once it was out of the bike I did a rebuild, and port and polish on the heads. After a couple drive style changes, I made this finial design out of 6061 aluminum. This last winter I decided to take the motor apart and replace the output shaft with one that I machined all the chain sprocket splines off of. That was done in December, since I had some winter left I decided to complete the upgrade from carburetors to fuel injection. I have been collecting parts for that project for a while. I also decided since it will be injected, I might as well turbo charge it. 1999 750cc Honda Shadow V-twin on 1984 Bass tracker. Hope my work may inspire someone to do something unique with their bike and motor. Thanks!

·
Registered
962 Posts
You've got some mad skills. I love the water proof electrical box, great idea. Did you use a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger? Have you had it out on the water yet? I bet that runs really good.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You've got some mad skills. I love the water proof electrical box, great idea. Did you use a closed cooling system with a heat exchanger? Have you had it out on the water yet? I bet that runs really good.
Thank you. It is a closed loop cooling system. Since I run this in mud and super shallow water with weeds, it needs to be closed. This also required a bigger radiator than stock pushing a boat as the load. I used an aluminum Honda Civic radiator. I have not had it on the water since the fuel injection and turbo upgrades. The carbureted motor ran great and being able to shift gears helped with varied load with gear and people on the boat. The little radiator in the back is the intercooler to keep the air charge from the turbo as cool as possible.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Thank you. It is a closed loop cooling system. Since I run this in mud and super shallow water with weeds, it needs to be closed. This also required a bigger radiator than stock pushing a boat as the load. I used an aluminum Honda Civic radiator. I have not had it on the water since the fuel injection and turbo upgrades. The carbureted motor ran great and being able to shift gears helped with varied load with gear and people on the boat. The little radiator in the back is the intercooler to keep the air charge from the turbo as cool as possible.
That is really cool. I forgot about the MC engine having the transmission still on it. You must use a trolling motor for reverse. The lady asking about a turbo to boost her shadow needs to ask you questions.

·
Registered
12,835 Posts
Very creative with the belt drive and added injection system.
I was wondering why the long tail shaft to the prop. So I looked up some videos and now I understand the design. COOOOOOL !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all. Tail length is kind of a hard number to figure out. The longer it is the more traction you will have in shallow water but it will make you slightly slower and harder to turn. A shorter shaft will be faster and easier to turn but there’s a limit due to the prop needing to be slightly above water.

Having no reverse can be a challenge but usually you just have to push off an object with the spud pole or park into the water current to allow the boat to float back as your reverse. I am designing a planetary gear addition to get reverse. Not sure when I’ll have that part done though.

I also wanted to tell this group that with a bit of wiring and the need for a custom intake manifold, you can convert a shadow ace to fuel injection using parts from a 2011-15 shadow. The biggest question I had was if the crank sensor ring would bolt on and be in the correct position and it did line right up.

·
Registered
8,247 Posts
Nice to have a different point of view to what a Shadow can do. :p Like to see the latest results in action.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts