Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like my Spirit just fine but I could go for some more power, what Honda models are around used that would be about the same size but more power? I think this fall I may start looking around at bikes. A guy near me has a 2001 Valkyrie for sale in mint condition but that is just a bigger bike then I want. I'm sure it's much faster than a Shadow but I'm not looking for huge highway runs, more an around town bike that can go a couple hours away from home every once in a while. I ride two up a lot which the Shadow has plenty of room for two of us so any other bike needs around the same amount of room.

I believe newer Shadows don't really have any power increases compared to my 1999, that true?

·
Registered
11,125 Posts
No, the newer ones are pretty much the same thing. VTX1300 has about the same power as the 1100's. The VTX1800 is more powerful but it's about the same size as the Valkyrie.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
As posted the Vtx 1300 are heavier with more pony's thus the PTW ratio is about the same as the Spirit but they do sound nice with the right set of pipes and smoother riding do to the extra weight. Vtx 1800 are a bit top heavy to me but weigh the same as a standard Valk but the Valk is silk smooth, indestructible, great irgonomics especially two up, and very well balanced @ 750 lbs. Now keep in mind there several variants of the 1800 Vtx (C,F,N,R,S) and 3 (C,CT,CF) of the Valk. The power/power band of a Valk is like Gold Wing just lighter. If I wanted a another vtwin as yourself, go test ride a Indian you will never know you are riding a heavy weight as far as of handling. I love the crap out of them but I'm Valk partial.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to take the Valkyrie for a test ride. 2001. The guy said it's been in his family since new so I'm thinking it was his dad's or something like that and he doesn't know what he has. He's asking $3,900 with 32K on it. Has some sort of glass pack setup on the exhaust which I read that was commonly done along with rejetting to get extra horse power out of the engine. The owner doesn't know any of that, just that the exhaust is modded. This bike is nice looking.

I'll know pretty quick, if the weight is low enough I might be alright with the weight. The Shadow may be getting a brother.

Think I'll pick the bike apart, how old the tires are stuff like that and hit him with a $3,200.

·
Registered
5,394 Posts
Nice looking ride. Love my valk.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I rode a Valkyrie for a whole day once and found it a wonderful ride with one exception: The engine threw off a massive amount of heat. The radiator is huge.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
From my perspective here in Canada, with the low mileage and level of accessories, the ask looks like a nice price.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
I rode a Valkyrie for a whole day once and found it a wonderful ride with one exception: The engine threw off a massive amount of heat. The radiator is huge.
Mine does if I leave the lower wind deflectors on which I designed to be quick detach otherwise not an issue.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be on the look out for that since I live in a hot climate. If this bike is just going to throw hot air at me, it might not be great 6 months out of the year. My Shadow already lights up my leg at long street lights this time of year. Not terrible but I don't want to sit there for long.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Update, I like the Valkyrie. Not hard to deal with at all. Pretty nimble for a bike that size.

Sure enough went for a ride around the neighborhood and something wasn't right. Asked the guy if he had checked the tire pressure lately. Whipped out my tire gauge and 17 PSI in the front and 19 PSI in the back. Pumped them up and took another ride. Rides great but you do feel the heat coming off of the radiator. Not a huge amount but I did notice it.

Negotiations,
Start tomorrow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts