Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't wanna mess with My BMW, but come this fall I think I'd like to pick up something basic to bob. It'd be a great experience, doing that work and watching a vision emerge. I'm gonna have to find something fairly cheap to start with however, can't afford things like y'all have been bobbing! Any recommendations for some older li'l 400-750 cc size scoots that might take nicely to a bit of bobbing? And be worth riding or selling afterward? And no, I'm not a big fan of cafe racers, so that type of winter-play is out. Thanks!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Seen some pretty nice 650 Yamaha's that have been bobbed. They're pretty plentiful and you should be able to pick one up at a reasonable price.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Yeah, I think they even make kits for the Yamaha's XS's.

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,097 Posts
The VLX goes back to '88, so it's possible to find one of those for pretty cheap. I was tempted to keep mine to bob. IMO the VLX is a quick and nimble bike and would probably be that even more so as a bobber. Definitely worth riding afterwards and depending on how much you buy it for and spend on it, it could potentially be worth selling afterwards too. (If you can bring yourself to sell it. ;) )

·
Registered
325 Posts
Have you considered buying a twin of what you have now. What better way to learn all about your present bike by tearing into it’s twin. Plus you'll have a rolling parts donor with all the OEM parts you shed during a bob, and donors in an emergency (like say spark boxes). Plus these bob out really well, and there is a wealth of examples and knowledge here. It’s a win win!

At least that what I would hope to do some day. I’ve taken my bike about as far as possible. But I have plenty of ideas for another lil’ sister and I pretty much know this model inside and out.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Have you considered buying a twin of what you have now. What better way to learn all about your present bike by tearing into it’s twin. Plus you'll have a rolling parts donor with all the OEM parts you shed during a bob, and donors in an emergency (like say spark boxes). Plus these bob out really well, and there is a wealth of examples and knowledge here. It’s a win win!

At least that what I would hope to do some day. I’ve taken my bike about as far as possible. But I have plenty of ideas for another lil’ sister and I pretty much know this model inside and out.
Not a bad idea if I can find her twin at a good price... and you're right, what a wealth of knowledge to be had. That's definitely on my shopping list, if one comes up at a good price this fall/winter :) I do like what I see in your sig pic :)

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not a bad idea if I can find her twin at a good price... and you're right, what a wealth of knowledge to be had. That's definitely on my shopping list, if one comes up at a good price this fall/winter :) I do like what I see in your sig pic :)
that is my plan. i have two 1983 VT500c and one 1984 VT500c basically the same bikes. and one is getting bobbed this winter one is a parts donor and the other is my daily commuter.

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
My brother has a Vulcan 750, I think its mid to late 90's, I think it would make a bad ass bobber, but, he still rides it and would be pissed if I stole it and bobbed it out:p And it runs like a raped ape!
Coop

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Look for an old CB 750 or like others have saig the Yamaha XS 650s are just about everywhere . I'm doing a CB 350 . Not my first choice but what do you want for free. Here are a couple of sites to look at and get some ideas and any help when you are ready . www.dotheton.com cafe site but also has bobber sections and very helpfull on the older machines . www.thechopperunderground.com your basic chopper site that has bikes in The Horse Backstreet Chopper mag every month. Have Fun

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
My vote is totally for the VLX. Cheap, plentiful, and looks awesome when bobbed. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
One more vote for a 600 Shadow. The triangulated swingarm/hardtail look only feeds the bobber style that much more.

And just in case you want the option of kitted parts for a bobber project, check out www.bluecollarbobbers.com

·
Registered
3,311 Posts

+1 on this idea

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I'm partial to the old Honda twins, CM400, CM450, CB350 etc. Of course much of that is due to the fact that I had a CM400 that I loved. Wish now that I hadn't sold it.

I really like this one:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.