Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:cry: :cry:

So the chopper that I ordered finally arrived today (above is the model, not the color) and I went down to look at it. It is hideous. Not because of its design but because they went ahead and painted it blood read and NOT the Candy Red I have stipulated. This is at least now my out if I don’t like any of the other colors so I am back in serious decision mode.

While I love the chopper and it really is a good deal, it certainly is NOT what I want (above is the model and color that started my quest for a chopper). So, to console myself, I went down to my dealership (Honda, not the choppers) to look at the colors I might be happy with. Low and behold, they have VTX1800’s on sale at great prices for a 07. So, I started thinking, I have three options, the VTX that has fuel injection and a host of other nice stuff plus they are enticing the deal with a three year warranty but I don’t like the colors that much either, go with the Swift chopper and have it repainted or continue with my mod plans on the VT1100 that I truly love in every respect. Now I assume that most folks here will give me very good reasons to either stick with the Spirit or go for the VTX.

So, I open it up to you folks to help me make this decision. I ask “ what would you do?”

Cheers

A very confused dragoon

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
You only live once, sometimes the safe path isn't the one that feeds your soul.

·
Registered
500 Posts
If I ordered a new chop, very specific on the color, no way that i'd be picking up the tab to paint it the color I really wanted.. The frame is painted a matching color too, so it's not just repainting the tins..

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ya know what F that! If I ordered it and it's the wrong color, then they broke the agreement, or I was wishy-washy in negotiating the terms. I say never settle for less than what you want. If I ordered it, they f'ed it up on the paint, I'd say repaint it with no cost to me, and I'll expect it to be cherry, AND then I'll take it. Honey always attracts more bees than vinegar, so I advise to be firm and don't be afraid to walk away. Walk away, and they'll call ya back and be willing to deal. I mean, these freakin' chops are so priced outta sight these days anyway. Harley's USED to be the working man's bike. Now they're the Dr.'s bike. My .02, but I say never settle.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
If it was me...I would make them get the right bike for you. You are spending the money...you should get what you want. Don't settle for anything else.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Normally I would tell them to paint it the right color and be firm about it, but that would mean, as stated, taking it apart, doing the frame and the tins. I would want it to be done at the factory not the dealership and some how, I think they are going to tell me to go f myself. However, I have the best of both worlds here, I can force then to live up to the contract or use this as way out of the deal in the first place. Decisions, decisions. Either way, it wont be in my garage by the end of march and I am PO’ed. Now, I could have a local painter do the frame and send the tins to one of our members of this forum who’s work I like, and I think I could trust this dealership to dismantle and reassemble the bike. It’s a matter of getting them to pay the two painters.

I will let you know what I decide. I am surprised that no one has told me to buy the Honda.

·
Registered
198 Posts
If You're choosing tween the custom & the VTX...

everybody's got a VTX!!!!!!!!! :shock:
(or a HD)
That's Why I got a VICTORY!!!! :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think they made a dealer trade....and X dealer told your dealer they had the red so they sent it...low and behold, the wrong red. Your dealer knows it's the wrong red, they know they got screwed by the other dealer. So they figure you'll still take it! Big Bear are not that hard to find, there is even a dealer in NW Ohio.Tell them your walking....by no means have it painted by the dealer, or anyone else....the paint will eventually come back to bite you in the ass!

Anyway, 30 grand is way too much for a motorcycle. But then that's my opinion! Hell it's really too much for a car or truck... :lol:

But again, whatever floats your boat and you're happy with!

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Dragoon said:
While I love the chopper and it really is a good deal, it certainly is NOT what I want (above is the model and color that started my quest for a chopper). So, to console myself, I went down to my dealership (Honda, not the choppers) to look at the colors I might be happy with. Low and behold, they have VTX1800’s on sale at great prices for a 07. So, I started thinking, I have three options, the VTX that has fuel injection and a host of other nice stuff plus they are enticing the deal with a three year warranty but I don’t like the colors that much either, go with the Swift chopper and have it repainted or continue with my mod plans on the VT1100 that I truly love in every respect. Now I assume that most folks here will give me very good reasons to either stick with the Spirit or go for the VTX.

So, I open it up to you folks to help me make this decision. I ask “ what would you do?”

Cheers

A very confused dragoon
I'd go buy a Star and end up with a bike you can ride for more than 100 miles, forget the custom and sell the Shadow.

$.02

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would think about getting the VTX with a wide tire kit installed. Local Honda dealer has 5 or 6 of them with the 240 kits and they are the bomb! At about $14 - 15K plus some chrome blingage it may be a perfect compromise and you would still have $ left in your pocket. (Not to mention a much more comfortable ride!)

There. That's my .02. 8)

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
billdksn said:
I would think about getting the VTX with a wide tire kit installed. Local Honda dealer has 5 or 6 of them with the 240 kits and they are the bomb! At about $14 - 15K plus some chrome blingage it may be a perfect compromise and you would still have $ left in your pocket. (Not to mention a much more comfortable ride!)

There. That's my .02. 8)
+ 1

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
Dragoon said:
Normally I would tell them to paint it the right color and be firm about it, but that would mean, as stated, taking it apart, doing the frame and the tins. I would want it to be done at the factory not the dealership and some how, I think they are going to tell me to go f myself. However, I have the best of both worlds here, I can force then to live up to the contract or use this as way out of the deal in the first place. Decisions, decisions. Either way, it wont be in my garage by the end of march and I am PO’ed. Now, I could have a local painter do the frame and send the tins to one of our members of this forum who’s work I like, and I think I could trust this dealership to dismantle and reassemble the bike. It’s a matter of getting them to pay the two painters.

I will let you know what I decide. I am surprised that no one has told me to buy the Honda.
You know Dragoon...I guess I am completely and utterly surprised that you are even having this discussion. Would you buy a car that wasn't the right color and then immediately send it out to get painted? Would you buy a house and do the same? To me...this is no different. BELIEVE ME...I know all about wanting to get the bike...I went through the same when I had to wait to get the Valk...but you will not be happy with it if you have to turn around shell out more money to get it the right color.

Do the right thing ans make the factory make it right. Even if it means havig to wait longer to get the bike. At least you have a bike to ride now. Right?

My thought on it. Sorry if I stepped out of line.

Joe

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I would definitely not settle for the chopper with the paint job you don't like. If you sense the chopper dealer is anything less than 100% sorry for the error, then forcing them to repaint it might result in a crappy paint job. It's just me ... but there's a lot about the chopper deal that has my warning bells dinging.

(Now, if the chopper dealer took a position of sincere regret for the error and expressed a strong desire to make things right ... then the dynamics are different.)

As for the VTX1800 ... my advice would be to sleep on that decision. If you've got a wicked chopper in your heart, then going with the VTX might come back to haunt you as settling on a second choice.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree with you all. First let me state that the great deal was way below20kof a bike that retails for 27k.Reason being is it was one of the show bikes that Swift used at their shows and the copy of the paper work that the dealer ( who is also a Big Bear dealer) showed it to be red. When he looked that color up in his shop book it was clearly candy, or very close. However, this, albeit new(as in never registered, three year warranty and about 15 miles) is an 05 and I bet he showed me a swatch from a different year. I have been in the dealers situation when it comes to PMA (post model allowance) when I was a dealer. So remember, I also go for the OK OK deal as I have mentioned. Regardless of what the cost is, everybody is right, it must be the right package in order for to fork over the coin. I will talk to the dealer today to see what we can do to remedy this.

Cheers

·
Registered
75 Posts
Yeah, most of these rigid customs or even semi non rigid customs are built for 2 things: local riding say, bar to bar, or shows. They still vibrate like a Harley, so everything gets loose, and needs constant maintenance. I'd say get the new VTX, bling that baby out, and enjoy a few nice vacations with the savings, maybe several nights out on the town. BUY the HONDA!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Shogun said:
these freakin' chops are so priced outta sight these days anyway
That's not always true. At the Easyriders / V twin trade show I went to in Cincinnati a couple of weeks ago there were 10 - 15 of those bike manufacturers there. On brands like Swift, Titan, Big Dog, American Iron Horse, etc the dealer cost was maybe 10% less than suggested retail. A $25,000 retail price bike was something like $22,500 dealer cost. I would say that the dealer will not want to sit on the bike for too long with that little of a markup. If you haggle enough or wait long enough they may even sell it to you at their cost to get it out of there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts