Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was on my ride home from work coming into a small farming town last evening. There's a 2 way stop that crosses the main 2 lane Michigan highway that goes through the center of town. I was decelerating from 60 to 35 as I approached the edge or town and this particular 2 way. There were cars at either stop and I was watching the cage on my side of the lane. I was traveling east and she was stopped, looking east. I watched her the enitire time. She failed to look west at oncoming traffic (me) and she pulled out right in front of me, maybe 20 yards ahead. Then she decided after she was already out in my lane to look west. She saw me, her jaw dropped. Boom.

All I had time to do is slam on the brakes and prepare for the impact. I didn't have time to react other then to lock them up. I maintained control of the bike and slammed right into her door. I remember thinking, this ain't good. I went up and over her car and landed on my side in the street. Knocked the wind out of me for a few seconds and boy did it hurt. when everything settled down I was looking up at the sky try to access how bad I was. My back was killing me.

For the record, I had a thick cowhide jacket on with a liner. I wear an older Shoei RF800 FF helmet, gloves and boots. I hit with the car with enough force to eject my left boot and glove. I'm guessing I hit at 35 to 40 miles an hour.

People were on me in seconds. Luckily one was a doctor that had stopped. I could move all my limbs, so I relaxed a little. Some 1st responders showed up and one was a rider. He said "Man, an early Shadow too!" I asked him how the bike was. He said, forks are pushed back into the frame, the front tire took out the radiator. Not good buddy. Sheit.

It's sort of amazing what momentum and force can do. I wear glasses and have clip on shades. They were wedged up into my helmet. My visor was gone. I also had all matter of fine pieces of glass inside of the helmet. Don't know if it was from the car, my visor or my windshield. I had road debris in my mouth. My face was slightly cut up.

I had my 1st ambulance ride! Woohoo. They checked me out in the hospital, took xrays and guess what...just bumps and bruises. Nothing serious. Man am I sore. It's gonna take a while before I can walk and sit normally, but I'm greatful for the luck (or Gods grace) I received. Everyone who looked me over was amazed. So I have 800mg script for Motrine and Flexeril.

The State Police were on the scene and asked me what had happened. I relayed my version, and they met back up with me in the emergency room. It was a teenage girl driving the car. She was cited. They said she was very sorry. Eh, it can happen to any of us. No animosity from me. I've been riding all forms of motorized bikes since I was 18. Never had an accident. I'm 47, so I guess it was my time. Stinky part is that I've had the bike for less than 2 months. Makes me sick to my stomach thinking about it.

I'm going to recoup today and try to get back to work Thursday. I'll look at my bike options. My wife took photos of the bike aftermath. This incident in no way effects my love of riding or whether I'm getting on one again. I am. But it also demostrates the importance or wearing the proper gear.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Wow man, just wow.

You were extremely lucky and I'm glad you're okay. Your bike looks totaled alright.

I bet the girl feels horrible, but you seem to have a good attitude.

Have you spoken to her at all?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
No, I haven't. My evening was taken up at the hospital, finding an after hours pharmancy and walking around like a 90 year old man. My wife is calling our insurance tomorrow. I'm gonna let things settle a bit.

To add insult to injury, it was my wife's birthday too. Not the gift I was looking to give.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I am glad your doing okay. I am glad you still are looking at life positively..good luck on your recovery.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
With that attitude, your recovery should be a breeze. Sorry about your scoot. Things can change in an instant. Best of luck and keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
843 Posts
I am glad you lived to tell us your story, and that you will make a full recovery. After traveling through intersections and left turners, your scenario is one of my top threats while riding.

Cars turning in front of us, either a left turner or from a side street is cited by Hough as the most dangerous situations. Either the driver did not look before turning or she looked and her brain filtered you out. This last possibility is called inattantional blindness. We all have lots of visual and aural stumulus, so our brain reduces the load by filtering. You were not a threat to her, so her brain deleted you from the picture. She was literally blind to you. There has been a lot of research done on this topic, and not related to motorcycling.

Another possible explanation is motion camouflage. She saw your headlight but because you were traveling toward her the headlight looked stationary. So she turned.

Your crash scenario is pretty common and frankly I am not sure what you could have done to wake the driver up. If you saw her creep up through the stop you could have honked your horn or wiggled your bike so your headlight would show movement. Sometimes I also ride straddling both lanes, just to give myself more room away from the threat.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Greg - you gave your wife the greatest gift you can give - you lived.

Sincerely, I am glad that you came through that relatively well. I know the feeling all too well.

Sorry to hear about the bike - she's a total loss, for sure.

If you need anything, we're here for you.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Glad to hear you came through as well as you did. Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery. Sorry about the bike.

It always amazes me how often people approaching an intersection look the wrong way (especially when rolling through a stop). They don't look at oncoming traffic closest to them but at the lane they want to enter. They only do a quick check of the oncoming lane just as they pull out. By then it may be too late.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
You are very lucky indeed.
The biggest reason you are so sore and stiff was not the impact itself but a result of you "preparing" for it. In an instance like this you stiffen up and tense your muscles in preperation for the impact and this is when damage normally occurs. Luckily you were seriously hurt.
Have you ever wondered why Drunk Drivers or Drivers who fall asleep at the wheel are never seriously hurt in accidents? This is why, they are relaxed with no muscle tension. their body flows with the impact. Kind of crappy that its not the other way around.
Hope you have a speedy recovery and are back on 2 wheels soon.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the well wishes. I didn't get a lot of rest last night. The left side of me is much more stiff and sore than the right. A few moans and groans from me when I get out bed, or travel to the bathroom. It could have been far worse.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
WOW, I am so sorry that happened to you. Glad you are OK. Take your time and recover fully. Dan

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
You're a shining example of a survivor. I'm glad you made it out of it okay. You'll heal up and be back on the road in due time, sir.

The only good news(if there's any to have) is this gives you a chance to pick out a new vehicle. Nothing like shopping for two-wheeled horsepower! (I know I care for it).

Any ideas what you'll be moving on to? Or are you going to try and stick with the classic Shadows?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Bike wise I have no idea. Another Honda certainly isn't out of the picture. I like the Spirit 1100. I don't think I'll be getting much out of insurace on what I had tho.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Probably not. They tend to not give you the full value on an older bike like that :-\ KBB and all. But hey! Down payment on one at a dealer or you can save up from a good starting point!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Glad your ok, sorry about your bike.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I like your attitude. T-boned a car, flew over it, lying on the pavement, bystanders rush to help, EMT arrives and your question is, "how is my bike?"
Glad you made it through without major injuries.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts