Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Shadow Peeps,
Guess what? (chicken butt!! - kidding!). Well, I'm not a chick biker anymore. Sold my Shadow a week ago... ~sniff sniff~. When I left Maryland a year and a half ago to move back to So CA, I bought a trailer specifically so I could bring it. I loaded her up and packed whatever else would fit, and pulled it to the west coast behind my Jeep. A week later, I rolled her off the trailer in Oceanside, CA. The bee-otch wouldn't start... and I spent the next year fixing one thing after another on her. Riding and fixing time was about 50/50. My gigs in So CA wrapped up, so I decided to mosy up the coast and make one of my long time riding fantasies happen - pack up the bike with camping gear and hit CA's Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). I made my way up to a buddy's house near San Francisco where I was gonna call home base and part the Jeep and trailer. But apparently I forgot to share my plans with the higher power of the universe becuz all hell broke loose and there were wild fires starting everywhere around that area. After a week, it wasn't looking like the Big Sur area was going to be accessible any time soon, so I hooked the trailer back up to the Jeep and kept rolling north. I decided to move the fantasy ride to the northern Oregon coast, but there was drama oozing at my step sisters place in Salem. So I kept rollin north. Since my brother lives in Seattle, I though, "Het, I can park at his house and check out the Pugent Sound area." I rolled the bike off the trailer the day after I arrived - just over a week ago. Turned the key. She started up, but didn't sound / feel road worthy. Then I saw that one of the front forks had been leaking. I took her for a ride and the front brake was frozen.
Back in So CA, I'd promised myself if one more thing needed repair, I'd sell her. Soooo.... I did. She sold in 24 hours after I put an ad on Craigslist. The good news is, her new owner isn't going to rape her for parts. It's a father /son project and she's getting a total makeover. This is a good thing. But I'm still really bummed.
And on that note - a HUGE thank you to my peeps here who helped me through the past year of tweeking and repairing and upgrading on my Shadow. I learned ALOT. A special shout out to Cleeve who was always patient and knowledgeable and sweet. The Shadow wasn't my first bike. I'm pretty sure it won't be my last. Love you guys madly!!

Registered
You sound like when I spent 5 years planning a 6,000 miles trip from the UK to Portugal :)

Things happen for a reason and the only thing you can do is to keep focus on what you want.
Obviously that wasn't the bike for you. You just need to find the right one and go back to your plans for a great trip 馃弽

Registered
04 shadow aero
California sucks. I regret moving here. Hopefully I can bust out of here before they tax me into the ground. Get out while you can

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
You sound like when I spent 5 years planning a 6,000 miles trip from the UK to Portugal :)

Things happen for a reason and the only thing you can do is to keep focus on what you want.
Obviously that wasn't the bike for you. You just need to find the right one and go back to your plans for a great trip 馃弽
That bike WAS the right bike for me while I had it. It's taken me from Maryland to Sturgis (NOT on a trailer), MD to Key West, Tail of the Dragon... All over the east coast. No complaints. No regrets. Just feel like I'm missing a limb now. But I'll pull through.

Registered
That bike WAS the right bike for me while I had it. It's taken me from Maryland to Sturgis (NOT on a trailer), MD to Key West, Tail of the Dragon... All over the east coast. No complaints. No regrets. Just feel like I'm missing a limb now. But I'll pull through.
Buy another shadow! What size engine was your old one?

Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
Many people sell there Shadows and still hang around the forum. Did you get a replacement bike yet?

Registered
I totally get it. I sold my Shadow a couple of weeks ago. The second I decided to sell, she decided to start running like crap. Through the help of forum members, I got her running good enough to sell, and she is going to a first time rider.

Yeah, this past year and a half have been hell for making any plans!

Registered
Many people sell there Shadows and still hang around the forum. Did you get a replacement bike yet?
Me too. Sold my Shadow and bought a VTX 1300. There is a pretty good VTX forum, but I like it here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
Yeah, Cali is a total pit...the taxes are insane...almost British in severity.
And I can't say much good for the rest of the laws on the books, either...
glad I was only stuck there while in the Navy.

Florida is a MUCH better deal...no state income tax...easy living...
no fires of any note since they "Prescribed Burn" regularly.
All we have to worry about is Hurricanes and those aren't much
of an issue if you build a Cat-5-Proof home...Concrete & steel rebar :)

We all hope you find another Shadow to play with when things are good!

Reactions: thebeav

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Yes, like me!
I wonder if my riding days are behind me... I mean, I bought a stupid trailer so I could bring my bike west with me so I could ride the PCH and camp in the Big Sur beauty - cross that adventure off my bucket list. What happens? It starts falling apart on me. So I finally get it running reliably. I haul it up to San Jose. I make arrangements to park my Jeep and trailer at a buddy's house. And then all hell breaks loose and Big Sur et al begins to burn. Arg. That's when I threw up my arms in surrender to the higher powers of the universe to succumb to the reality that I won't be crossing that one off the list. Oh well, I'll just revise the plan to 4 wheels in another awesome location. :}

Registered
I wonder if my riding days are behind me... I mean, I bought a stupid trailer so I could bring my bike west with me so I could ride the PCH and camp in the Big Sur beauty - cross that adventure off my bucket list. What happens? It starts falling apart on me. So I finally get it running reliably. I haul it up to San Jose. I make arrangements to park my Jeep and trailer at a buddy's house. And then all hell breaks loose and Big Sur et al begins to burn. Arg. That's when I threw up my arms in surrender to the higher powers of the universe to succumb to the reality that I won't be crossing that one off the list. Oh well, I'll just revise the plan to 4 wheels in another awesome location. :}
Well, you're already lucky enough to have a Jeep, so you've got that going for you! I keep saying "someday" to the Jeep, but I'm just too frugal to spend that kind of money! Then again, I'm considering buying a BMW touring bike sometime in the future. ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts