Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 honda shadow spirit 750

This is my first bike soo please bear with me on the noob questions.
I am at least the third owner of the bike. The po that i got it from said all the modified parts were on bike when he got it.

1. The bike has a "custom" exhaust. it looks like someone made it (I will assume that because at the end of the exhaust there is a wrench welded to both pipes ( to hold them together?)) is there a way to tell if a jet kit was installed without pulling the carbs(i do not have the knowledge or confidence to do that)

2. the same person painted all the chrome parts including the fins on the cylinder head with something that looks like black undercoating. does anyone know if there is a way to remove that type of material?

·
Registered
719 Posts
Was this bike a gift? That wrench is an indication of the PO and his level of expertise on caring for a fine machine. If that is undercoating between the fins, it is now baked on and will not be easy, if all even possible to get all off. They do make undercoating remover that will soften it, but you still need to scrape it off somehow. I've used the Eastwoods on my Mach 1 and it worked OK, but still a lot of work.

http://www.eastwood.com/under-gone-...e=&network=g&gclid=CLX_y5LQ4sYCFQtqfgodFD0GUQ

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,336 Posts
That wrench is a classic !!!
Replace the exhaust and hang that on your shop wall.
I wonder if the black stuff painted on the engine is Plasti-Dip?
Many guys have used it as paint on wheels, etc. and it can be removed if you change your mind. But on a hot engine, I don't know if it will come off easily. Hope it will.

·
Registered
719 Posts
actually it was a gift , my wife bought it for me :smile2:
Good info to get some slack cut for you on purchase.;) Better get it running and make her proud. Hope she scored a really low price, but no matter really since it's a gift.

I hope for your sake it's not undercoating. That is really stupid since it will help insulate and lock the heat in, exactly what you dont want on cooling fins. Could be paint that bubbled from poor prep work. Try to scrape some off and figure out what it is before deciding on a plan.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
First welcome to the forum. That Brake line wrench welded to the exhaust to hod the pipes is definitely a first for me. I would be temped to leave on. What a great conversation starter.

·
Premium Member
8,930 Posts
The wrench

Yup! That would be a custom job alright! :surprise:

As far as your paint, has been said, gonna be a bear getting between those fins.. Maybe a fine media sandblasting type deal could do it. Couldn't use too much pressure tho..

·
Registered
719 Posts
Yup! That would be a custom job alright! :surprise:

As far as your paint, has been said, gonna be a bear getting between those fins.. Maybe a fine media sandblasting type deal could do it. Couldn't use too much pressure tho..
If it turns out to be paint, then I agree that would be a good option. But undercoating is made to protect against sand and dirt spray (pliable), and the media will pretty much just bounce off.

·
Registered
1998 750 ACE
20,106 Posts
Cool Wrench cussed`em Eyes it!!!

Most of the "Cylinder cooling fins" on mine are fake, plastic and removable...

Good Luck and Welcome to our Cussed `emized Bike world

John Hopkins memory RIDES in swGA two more days

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
Cool Wrench cussed`em Eyes it!!!

Most of the "Cylinder cooling fins" on mine are fake, plastic and removable...
Dennis has a good point. Might be easier just to replace the fins as they usually are a removable piece. The answer to your jet kit question is the only way to tell if it was jetted is to pull the carbs and open the float bowls and look at the size imprinted on the main jet.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay once i get a little more knowledge and a little more confidence i will remove the carbs....

back to the exhaust ...as you can see from the pictures it has some rust , what is good to coat them with after i sand them down? someone i work with recommended grill paint but i dont know if that would work or not

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,336 Posts
There is a product called VHT (very high temperature) paint that is easy to get at the auto parts stores. It comes in a lot of colors and some of it is for up to 550 degrees and some up to 2000 degrees. That should hold up well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.