Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
"research shows that bikes with modified exhaust systems crash more frequently than those with stock pipes"

Considering exhaust is one of the first things people change on their bikes, I'd say the research is slightly flawed. Or maybe it's one of the first things forum members and my friends do?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
"research shows that bikes with modified exhaust systems crash more frequently than those with stock pipes"

Considering exhaust is one of the first things people change on their bikes, I'd say the research is slightly flawed. Or maybe it's one of the first things forum members and my friends do?
I see your point.

That's like saying that 'bikes with aftermarket seats crash more frequently than those with stock seats'. The statement means nothing. What they would have to do is detail the circumstances of the crash and correlate that to see if loud pipes would have been a factor or not. In addition, I hate it when an article (or person) states that "research shows" (geez - anyone can say that and sound "credible") but I would like them to follow-up with a link that shows the actual research.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
People that shower in the morning get in more car crashes before Noon than people that don't.

See...anyone can come up with worthless facts!

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
I actually agree with every point. That's a first for me, I believe. I must be getting mellow in my old age.:grin:

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Although the author made a few good points, the research seems flawed.
"Helmeted riders survived more crashes than non-helmeted riders."
I wonder if that study was just raw numbers or if it took into account percentages based on crash locations in relation to helmet laws. I think a study done exclusively in a state with the freedom to choose would be more accurate. Also, did they determine if the rider actually had a head injury. A rider with no helmet but has a fence post through his chest doesn't speak to the effectiveness of helmets. A link to the research would have given the author more credibility.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
5,810 Posts
They can't put anything on the internet that's not true....

·
Registered
16,802 Posts
Yeah, it`s gotta be true!!!

They can't put anything on the internet that's not true....
Then here`s another true fact or two I`ll post on the internet ;)

I can hear better when NOT wearing a helmet, while stopped....

I can hear another vehicle approaching IF it has no muffler...

I Like HSN forums...
:D

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Then here`s another true fact or two I`ll post on the internet ;)

I can hear better when NOT wearing a helmet, while stopped....

I can hear another vehicle approaching IF it has no muffler...

I Like HSN forums...
:D
I concur on all three points

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
CrazyDave answers..

Myth 1: Other Drivers Don't Care About Motorcyclists

This is only considered a myth by those who do not ride.. those of us on the road know that the
majority don't care, nor do they even see

Myth 2: Loud Pipes Save Lives

50/50.. loud pipes are like helmets.. I can say they may have helped save my life but unless I go back to the corner where that blind blue haired lady nearly ran the stop sign until she heard my nasty offensive pipes with a quieter bike and try again I am only making an assumption..much like those who say the helmet saved their life.

Myth 3: Motorcycle Helmets Break Necks

Myth?...mmm aside from the numerous cases of basil skull injury that are already known..lets just take a look at basic physics to see that this is hardly a myth..Understanding Head & Neck Trauma - Bikers Rights Motorcyle Helmet Laws Motorcycles Freedom Fighter Issues Riders Biker Harley Davidson

Myth 4: Helmets Block Your Ability to See or Hear Danger

Defintely no myth here.. if you say it is you are a liar

Myth 5: A Helmet Won't Help in Most Crashes

There are those that will tell you when you point out that 100% of mc fatalities in MC law states died while wearing a helmet is false logic for being against helmets.. yet those same people want to believe that a helmet is effective in most crashes.. you know, like that dump truck that just ran over you.. No myth..helmets, if they save lives at all are only effective in a relatively small spectrum

Myth 6:

A Helmet Will Leave You Brain Damaged in an Crash When You Would Have Simply Died

Not only is it not a myth but it's a costly truth..treating helmeted riders for brain injuries actually costs more on average then treating a non helmeted rider

Myth 7: A Skilled Rider Should Be Able to Handle Almost Any Situation

That's supposed to be a myth? Logic is a myth? Sound reasoning is a myth?? LOL!! Look the main reason people crash is because they are NOT skilled or not applying their skills.. what is mythical about that truth?

Myth 8: If You Are Going to Crash, Lay It Down

YAY we have a truism!

Myth 9: One Beer Won't Hurt

One beer won't hurt unless you are extremely sensitive to alcohol

Myth 10: It's Better to Stay in Your Lane than Split Lanes

YAY truism # 2

Myth 11: I'm Safer on the Street than on an Interstate

Not a myth or a truth basically nonsense.. You are safer if you are paying attention no matter WHERE you are

Myth 12: A Skilled Rider Can Stop Better with Conventional Brakes than with Anti-Lock Brakes

Yes that is a myth..but a skilled rider might be able to stop better with conventional brakes that a neophyte can with ABS

·
Registered
289 Posts
One thing I have noticed over the years, you can always find a survey to say anything you want to agree with. As my old grandfather would say - "boy, be careful out there, stuff can get you killed." He was right. Old age got him.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Are you a politician CD?? You will argue anything .. LOL And if you don't agree with it, it's wrong. I see a chair in DC with your name on it. (AGAIN LOL !!!!)

As to the louder pipes crash more, I think the thought here is you put pipes on to hear them. To hear them you accelerate faster, ride faster, etc. I know I do, they do sound nicer when you are pushing it. :p:grin:

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Are you a politician CD?? You will argue anything .. LOL And if you don't agree with it, it's wrong. I see a chair in DC with your name on it. (AGAIN LOL !!!!)

As to the louder pipes crash more, I think the thought here is you put pipes on to hear them. To hear them you accelerate faster, ride faster, etc. I know I do, they do sound nicer when you are pushing it. :p:grin:
mmm.. seems to me I agreed with a few. Well no I am not a politician..politicians tend to agree with whatever they think would get them votes from the voters and at the same times whatever will get them money from companies and financial backers so they tend to be uh..two faced..I don't think and helmet company would give me a dime.. and finally I did not argue I took the 12 supposed myths to task one by one finding fault with what was faulty and concurring with what was not faulty ..that is what I do:wink:

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Oh and just because I am not a politician is no reason not to vote me into the office of president, the first couple of presidents were also not politicians

1 - 20 of 41 Posts