Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I woke up this morning and no one was home so I decided to take a ride and get breakfast. It was a beautiful morning so I jumped on the bike and headed up Route 1 into NJ. A few observations.
  1. If anyone is looking to invest in a business I suggest a diner on the northbound side of Route 1. Seriously! I rode from Fairless Hills PA to East Brunswick NJ and there are NO diners on the northbound side of Route 1. When I got to Route 18 I exited and rode several more miles past the Brunswick Square Mall until I finally found a diner.
  2. I know that you guys in Jersey pay a lot in taxes (I used to live there and know first hand). If I were you I'd complain much louder about your roads. Route 1 and Route 18 are probably the two worst roads I've ever ridden. I was bounced out of my seat more times than I can count and hit a couple of bumps so hard I want to go to the Honda dealer and have my front end looked at!
  3. (This may be offensive to some but it has to be said). I always assumed they must have motorcycles in India. I'm starting to think that may not be true. I was cut off and pulled out in front of more times in my almost 100 mile ride this morning than ever before. When I'd see the driver most times they represented the immigrant nationality you see most in New Jersey (again, sorry to offend). FRUSTRATING!
  4. Your female toll collectors on the NJ Turnpike love bikes! I thought the girl might jump on the back and ride home with me.
Those things aside I had a great ride this morning. As I said I rode up Route 1 to Route 18 then turned around after breakfast and rode home the NJ Turnpike to 195 back to Route 1 into PA. It was nice to get in an almost 100 mile ride when all I was looking for was breakfast.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
You road route 18 and lived... Oh I have to send you your t-shirt. Iffin you had gone a few miles further north on 18 you would have found yourself in Rutgers main campus... and the girls there like bikes more than the toll collectors. LOL

Next time you're bored and heading this way message me. I'll hook you up with some good rides up here.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You road route 18 and lived... Oh I have to send you your t-shirt. Iffin you had gone a few miles further north on 18 you would have found yourself in Rutgers main campus... and the girls there like bikes more than the toll collectors. LOL

Next time you're bored and heading this way message me. I'll hook you up with some good rides up here.
Only if you are going to participate in the ride!! In a couple of weeks I'm thinking I am going to head north, stop and see my mom in Iselin then head to Dickie Dees in Newark for an italian hot dog. Ever had a Dickie Dees dog? Worth every minute of the ride! Is that area far from you?

·
Registered
525 Posts
(This may be offensive to some but it has to be said). I always assumed they must have motorcycles in India. I'm starting to think that may not be true. I was cut off and pulled out in front of more times in my almost 100 mile ride this morning than ever before. When I'd see the driver most times they represented the immigrant nationality you see most in New Jersey (again, sorry to offend). FRUSTRATING!
Your female toll collectors on the NJ Turnpike love bikes! I thought the girl might jump on the back and ride home with me.[/SIZE]
Mike, not offensive but examine your stereotype. You assume these are immigrants from India and that fails upon inspection of the known evidence. Medical research has discovered that peripheral vision is directly related to cranial circulatory patterns. To summarize a complex body of literature, the same blood vessels that supply the peripheral optic nerves also supply the upper and lower lip regions of the head. So when you see a pair of purple lips on a darker skinned individual, you may assume a particular country of origin. In reality, their eyes, lips and brains are being starved of oxygen, resulting in the coloration and failure to see your approaching motorcycle. Extreme cases actually cause a facial anomaly just above the nose, that may resemble an Indian caste mark, further exacerbating this obtusely racist observation.

Finally, your remark about female toll collectors strikes a chord. I dated a toll collector once and she loved to "jump and ride" just like you state, in an insatiable quest for lust. Something about being in a confined space for extended periods that stimulates libido. Paul Simon sang about "counting the cars on the NJ Turnpike" that was a coded reference to nymphomania. In spite of all the scumbags I loved living in NJ for the frequent toll deposits.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mike, not offensive but examine your stereotype. You assume these are immigrants from India and that fails upon inspection of the known evidence. Medical research has discovered that peripheral vision is directly related to cranial circulatory patterns. To summarize a complex body of literature, the same blood vessels that supply the peripheral optic nerves also supply the upper and lower lip regions of the head. So when you see a pair of purple lips on a darker skinned individual, you may assume a particular country of origin. In reality, their eyes, lips and brains are being starved of oxygen, resulting in the coloration and failure to see your approaching motorcycle. Extreme cases actually cause a facial anomaly just above the nose, that may resemble an Indian caste mark, further exacerbating this obtusely racist observation.

Finally, your remark about female toll collectors strikes a chord. I dated a toll collector once and she loved to "jump and ride" just like you state, in an insatiable quest for lust. Something about being in a confined space for extended periods that stimulates libido. Paul Simon sang about "counting the cars on the NJ Turnpike" that was a coded reference to nymphomania. In spite of all the scumbags I loved living in NJ for the frequent toll deposits.
Bikenut, now that you have presented me with medical evidence i may owe the good hard working immigrants of the state of NJ an apology! I just never thought about it and obviously no one has presented me the medical evidence before. Thank you so much for setting me straight.

As far as the toll collectors it sounds like some late night rides up and down the Jersey Turnpike might be in my near future!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Bikenut, now that you have presented me with medical evidence i may owe the good hard working immigrants of the state of NJ an apology! I just never thought about it and obviously no one has presented me the medical evidence before. Thank you so much for setting me straight.

As far as the toll collectors it sounds like some late night rides up and down the Jersey Turnpike might be in my near future!
Mike: No apologies necessary, many have fallen into this immigrant trap. Most important, I hope you count many cars on the NJ Turnpike. Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Only if you are going to participate in the ride!! In a couple of weeks I'm thinking I am going to head north, stop and see my mom in Iselin then head to Dickie Dees in Newark for an italian hot dog. Ever had a Dickie Dees dog? Worth every minute of the ride! Is that area far from you?
Dickie Dees? You're going into Newark you're eating at Iberia's!

Yep know Iselin well. Road on the first aid squad there for a few years. Yeah I'll be right on your route. We can hit the highway. Give me a holler. But do it before the weekend. I don't get on here much during the weekend.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dickie Dees? You're going into Newark you're eating at Iberia's!

Yep know Iselin well. Road on the first aid squad there for a few years. Yeah I'll be right on your route. We can hit the highway. Give me a holler. But do it before the weekend. I don't get on here much during the weekend.

Don't know Iberia's. For awhile my son and I would go on this web site and go check out the places we found Holly Eats.Com - Home Page. That is where we found Dickie Dees. I once took a business associate who was in town from Texas there and he couldn't believe how good an italian hot dog is.

I know the first aid squad there well. Many years ago I looked into buying the Subway across the street. My at the time fiancee has been a Subway manager in Vegas (where we both lived) and I thought about buying that Subway for her to run. My mother and step-father were very involved in that VFW up the street for many years. In fact, I grew up hanging at the VFW and had one of my first beers at the bar.

I'll reach out when I'm heading that way. It will be a few weeks. We are heading to "The Roar to the Shore" in Wildwood this weekend and a few rides planned in the upcoming weeks.

·
Premium Member
1,180 Posts
Don't know Iberia's. For awhile my son and I would go on this web site and go check out the places we found Holly Eats.Com - Home Page. That is where we found Dickie Dees. I once took a business associate who was in town from Texas there and he couldn't believe how good an italian hot dog is.

I know the first aid squad there well. Many years ago I looked into buying the Subway across the street. My at the time fiancee has been a Subway manager in Vegas (where we both lived) and I thought about buying that Subway for her to run. My mother and step-father were very involved in that VFW up the street for many years. In fact, I grew up hanging at the VFW and had one of my first beers at the bar.

I'll reach out when I'm heading that way. It will be a few weeks. We are heading to "The Roar to the Shore" in Wildwood this weekend and a few rides planned in the upcoming weeks.
Cool I looked at the roar to the shore... see if my schedule allows me to go.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's pork roll in these parts pal! :wink:

I'll tell you why I would actually do that. When I lived in Las Vegas there were many things a boy from Jersey had to do without. Good pizza, good cheese steaks, good subs, and PORK ROLL! Every person I knew traveling west I'd get them to bring me pork roll. One girl even brought me cheese steak meat w/ friend onions wrapped in foil and a good roll wrapped in plastic. Man I loved that girl.....

·
Registered
525 Posts
Could someone in the New Jersey area mail me some Taylor Ham? Man, I miss that stuff. My cardiologist probably is glad I'm away from it, but wow that stuff is good.
Pork roll on a real english muffin is the perfect food. Most cardiologists do not realize a high fat, low carb diet will actually lower serum triglycerides and normalize cholesterol. So if you eat the pork roll without the bun you are as Bruce says, born to run...

·
Registered
213 Posts
I call it pork roll.

Pork roll, fried egg and cheese on a kaiser roll is my favorite way to eat it.

I found this online

What is Pork Roll? - The History of Pork Roll

What is the difference between Taylor Ham and Taylor Pork Roll? The proper name according to the manufacturer is, "John Taylor's Original Taylor Pork Roll, " but many of us in Jersey call it "Taylor Ham." Think of it as Kleenex is to tissues, Taylor Ham is to Pork Roll.

According to Eric of Taylor Provisions, people use the two names interchangeably. We also asked him about Taystrips, and he said they have not been manufactured for many years and have no plans at this time to do so in the future.

The name debate seems to be between North Jersey locals calling it Taylor Ham, and South Jersey and Philadelphians calling it "Pork Roll."

Maybe Middletown, NJ is the dividing line? A few weeks ago I heard from two different people originally from Brooklyn, NY, and they both called it Taylor Ham, but a woman in Queens knew it as pork roll. I'd love to hear what others think

·
Registered
57 Posts
Up by the Delaware Water Gap we call it Taylor Ham. That's what it says on the menu at the Belidere Diner. If you do come up this way to ride, you need to stop at Hot Dog Johnnys on route 46 along the pequest river right before "The Gap". Big biker stop where they serve the best hot dogs and Taylor Ham sandwiches.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mike -- educate me please. My family comes from the shore area (Avon-By-The-Sea) and Morristown and they've always called it Taylor Ham.

Is it a Soda vs Pop issue?
Sorry, I was away for the weekend. I'm pretty sure it is a soda vs. pop thing although I've never heard very many people call it taylor ham. I grew up in Bayville (near Seaside and Toms River), lived for awhile near Atlantic City, spent over 11 years living in Vegas and now live in the Philadelphia area. It's always been pork roll. Diners here call it pork roll on their menus.

Another poster called it a "kaiser roll". When we grew up it as a "hard roll". The first time I said that to my wife (who is from Philadelphia) she was like "what the f**k is a hard roll?!?!

Regardless of what you call it similiar to the kaiser roll poster there is nothing better on a cold morning than eggs, cheese, pork roll, and ketchup on a hard roll! That sandwhich is only second to the same sandwhich with bacon!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.