Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else up for this 5 day ride, June 25-29? I'm definitely going. This Honda Magna group does a 5 dayer every year. I did the one 2 years ago up in Humboldt County across to Lassen through a lot of beautiful country. But this "mountain pass" ride in the Sierras looks even better. They're a great bunch of folks from all over California (1 guy came from Nevada, 2 from British Columbia, 1 from Oregon).

Details at:
http://www.chromevisions.com/westcoastmagnas/events/sierras/index.htm

Here's a current thread on this year's ride:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/MagnaRider/messages?msg=14032.1

And here's info on the 2005 ride:
http://www.chromevisions.com/westcoastmagnas/forgotten/main.mv

Looks like there'll be a So Cal contingent riding up together. I highly recommend this ride if you can afford taking the week off.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
if i can get the time off (have 3 weeks off in July) i will make that trip.
i have been on all the major roads like 108, 4, 120 the scenery is fantastic.
it should be fun with a group of riders.

ROD

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Since most of this is in my back yard I can state authoritatively :)lol:) that this is well-thought-out itinerary. If I weren't going to be out of the country in June I'd certainly join in. I don't know if it was intended or not, but the day 3 map shows a route from Hwy 88 to Kyburz that is extremely obscure. Even some local riders I talk to haven't heard of the Packsaddle Pass road. It's a good one, though.

Keep an eye on the Caltrans website, though. If late winter snows are heavy some of those passes might not be open even in late June.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
MikeB said:
Keep an eye on the Caltrans website, though. If late winter snows are heavy some of those passes might not be open even in late June.
Good tip Mike. Thanks. The guy who planned the route lives in El Dorado, I believe, which is probably close to where you are.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm a definite maybe. Looks like a great ride. I'll see what I can schedule, there is way too much going on that is beyond my control. A few days in the saddle might be just the thing.

Pete

·
Registered
457 Posts
Pleaze keep me pozted!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
six weeks and counting ! ! !
cant wait for this ride.
might take a ride up 108 or hwy 4 in the next 3 weeks
and come back on 88 to the mormon emigrant trail to hwy 50.

ROD

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
According to a Caltrans sign on Hwy 395, both Tioga Pass and 108 are supposed to be open today. As of this writing, however, Mormon Emigrant Trail is still closed.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
the sign on hwy 50 says closed when the road is open a lot.
and if i can't get through, the North South rd. should be open.

ROD

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Yes, the North-South road has been open for a long time. In my experience, however, the opening signs for the Trail have been pretty accurate. It's just that last few miles above Meiss Meadows that's the problem. I had to dig a little old lady out of a snowdrift across the road where she high-centered her Subaru trying to get through on a nice, warm late spring day a few years ago. That area can be deceptive. I'll try to get up there this coming week to see what's what.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Follow-up to the above: Mormon Emigrant Trail is still closed by snow. I was able to get about a mile above the Packsaddle Pass turn-off, maybe five miles from Hwy 88, by following melted tire tracks but finally ran out of pavement.

I'd guess it will take another week or so of hot weather to melt the snow. Then they have to unlock the gate above Meiss Meadows and remove any fallen trees before it's open.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm not putting on the saddlebags, rack & backrest until the 23rd. Leaving on the 24th...

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
So how was the ride?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I could spend hours writing about how much fun we had. It was just a fun ride, everyone at their own pace faster riders up front and slower ones bringing up the rear. They were a fun bunch of guys. Sorry I still take pictures with a 35 mm so they are still being developed. We will have to wait for the others to post their pictures. I will keep checking on the magna site and as soon as the pictures and video are posted I will put a link to them on here. We had one bike go down, thankfully the rider was only banged up but ok. The bike finished the ride with some cosmetic damage but rode just fine. The weather was beautiful, when we got to Tahoe we couldn't even smell the smoke. The smoke from the fire was minimal like it was almost out.
Again it was just a great bunch of guys to ride with and I am glad they let me tag along. We had riders from the bay area, southern california, sacramento(me), the foothills, texas, and one crazy rider from michigan (who rode 600 to 700 miles a day for four days just to make it here for the ride). Now he has to do it all over again to get home.

ROD

1 - 20 of 23 Posts