Honda Shadow Forums banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,091 Posts
I do not have a brand preference on bikes or anything else. I buy what I like that I can afford. Last year when my fiance said she was going to buy us both a bike I thought "great". She started looking around and I told her about a dealership in Chattanooga that I heard had good prices on bikes. So she goes to their site and she fell in love with the AERO. Then she showed me a pic of the Phantom, I fell in love right away. They were at the right price too, almost $2000 less than the local dealer.

I would like to have a Harley some day. A '80's Dyna wide glide is my style. But I would like to build my own bike, starting with a bare frame and go from there

I just like bikes! There are many that I like the look of, like the history of, but they are just not right for me. My biggest problem is with the people,,,the ones that make a point of pushing their views and opinions on everyone that is not riding what they think is "the only bike to own".

Harley did a good thing back in the '80's, They got their act together and started making a better more reliable bike. The biggest thing that Harley did was to make everyone think they needed to own a Harley. Their marketing was top notch and did the trick. It also happened at a heightened time of American pride, and what was more American than to own an American made bike. The only downside was all the yuppies that bought them, along with their clip on ponytail, and just let the bikes sit in their garage as an investment.

Ride what you like and enjoy what you ride!!!

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I do not have a brand preference on bikes or anything else. I buy what I like that I can afford. Last year when my fiance said she was going to buy us both a bike I thought "great". She started looking around and I told her about a dealership in Chattanooga that I heard had good prices on bikes. So she goes to their site and she fell in love with the AERO. Then she showed me a pic of the Phantom, I fell in love right away. They were at the right price too, almost $2000 less than the local dealer.

I would like to have a Harley some day. A '80's Dyna wide glide is my style. But I would like to build my own bike, starting with a bare frame and go from there

I just like bikes! There are many that I like the look of, like the history of, but they are just not right for me. My biggest problem is with the people,,,the ones that make a point of pushing their views and opinions on everyone that is not riding what they think is "the only bike to own".

Harley did a good thing back in the '80's, They got their act together and started making a better more reliable bike. The biggest thing that Harley did was to make everyone think they needed to own a Harley. Their marketing was top notch and did the trick. It also happened at a heightened time of American pride, and what was more American than to own an American made bike. The only downside was all the yuppies that bought them, along with their clip on ponytail, and just let the bikes sit in their garage as an investment.

Ride what you like and enjoy what you ride!!!

LOL That reminds me of the Corvette Club......Lots of cars sitting in garages keeping the miles down for the next buyer, I just bought an 05 Sportster with 28K miles After having and selling a 12. I won't put big miles on a bike here so I don't need nearly new anymore.

I like the HArley brand for a number of reasons. I go to the local Harley Boutique and everyone knows my name. Riding the Yamaha for 7 years and I was a nobody when I went in for service or anything. They just don't have the "brotherhood"

Its raining like hell here and I spent a few hours at the Harley Boutique shooting the ****. No need for "bike Nights to "meet and greet people". Harley has a ton of goings on here including two Bike Weeks a year and a lot of day events. All bikes are welcome but when I had the Yamaha, I didn't participate.

IMO one usually pays for entry to any "exclusive" club whether Corvette or Miata owners. I use that word because the leading reasons people do not buy Corvettes and Harleys are they are not cheap to own if something goes wrong. (The Corvette fuel sending component is nearly $2000 to replace). Those owners are as passionate about their cars as Harley owners. I see nothing wrong with that. For my riding and social needs those brands have a lot to offer. as does the Tacoma for some, but I am not into "Mudding and 4x4 off roading.

I see a lot of parallels between the Harley and the Corvette, Both American Icons. Both are expensive to have worked on by a dealer. Definitely a Corvette/Harley "tax" But the sense of belonging to something bigger than one's self has a lot of people who will always have a Harley and/or Corvette. Even the Miata Club is fun to be around with many events. I enjoyed that little car. But I sold it and will wait for the 14 Vette to see the mid thirties or maybe just buy the Miata RF for the same money.

The MIata is fun to drive at legal speeds......Vette isn't all as much fun until one is travelling over 90 MPH and steps into it.LOL..

21 - 22 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
12 Participants
Hondaguy
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing