Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Engine swap. Old one had a cam chain try to crawl over the sprocket. Broke the end of the cam off. Pieces of camshaft all inside the engine. It was pretty high mileage anyhow.
[/URL][/IMG]

I told my wife to be sure and keep an eye on me. Don't let me try to put the old one back in by mistake.

[/URL][/IMG]

I've got a history of doing stupid things like that.

·
Registered
323 Posts
LOL! Good luck with that. As an old aircraft mechanic, years ago while working for the Army, we had 10 identical King Air RC12's on the flight line. I worked for two days removing a hyd pump assy in one, and another two days replacing it with a new pump. It was the wrong airplane.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was in the Air Force. Yeah, I've got some stories of flightline foulups too. Had a lot of fun, even if I didn't know it at the time. My time in the service was the best time of my life.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Bleeding brakes, forgetting to check the master cylinder and adding brake fluid or putting the master cylinder cover back on to keep the brake fluid from spraying out in my first car brake job. Luckily none of the brake fluid hit the paint, but my buddy wasn't so lucky on a 70 Mopar.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
Before I was a full time Pastor I was a Journeyman Maint Mechanic in factories and many times get a job going really well then turn it over to the next shift and come in the next day and have to pull it all apart again because they left out a part or didn't line it up right or something. It got to where I'd rather stay over if I could and finish it myself. Now people say I do too much and should let others help, in guess those days haunt me! I guess I've been blessed not to mess up too badly myself, always on the other side of the mess up. Not saying I'm perfect by any means just worked with a lot of people who didn't know what they were doing.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I was in the Air Force. Yeah, I've got some stories of flightline foulups too. Had a lot of fun, even if I didn't know it at the time. My time in the service was the best time of my life.
my personal worst military wise, was nearly putting one of the instruments in upside down.

the worst I saw was one of the guys in the shop got the idea to blow out the pitot system with compressed air, but somehow hooked the air up to the static system. had to change every pitot static instrument in the plane.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
my personal worst military wise, was nearly putting one of the instruments in upside down.

the worst I saw was one of the guys in the shop got the idea to blow out the pitot system with compressed air, but somehow hooked the air up to the static system. had to change every pitot static instrument in the plane.
The repetition and all those checklists were annoying sometimes, but occasionally something like that would happen to remind us why. Young kids fresh outta high school wrenching on supersonic machinery and weapons systems. Looking back I totally understand all the precautions and checklists.

·
Registered
18,122 Posts
Thank You to all you Veterans!!

My biggest bonehead was swapping to a custom oil tank on my 71-CB 750-4, reversing the feed and return lines...
I earned my handle " Crankshaft " as it cost me a new motor...

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
My list of personal "stupid" attacks is too long, I will tell ya'll that while in the Navy I had to gas up some of our vehicles over the weekend, tankers of fuel only(during weekends), the first one was a diesel tanker and I blithely went past it to the 2nd tanker. Didn't pay attention, it was diesel too. Pooched that jeep up really good and I was lucky the repairs didn't come out of my pay.

·
Registered
323 Posts

LOL!!! Somehow I know EXACTLY what you are saying. I can't comment further.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How many miles on the failed engine?
Well it's not a huge number of miles really but more the condition. It has a lot of blowby. 22,000 on the odometer. I tested the blowby and right then I knew that engine has had a hard life.
Once I get the little bike up and going I really don't want to part with it. We're planning an Arkansas move soon. Somewhere well off the beaten path. I told my wife I'll put some stiff shocks on it, a big sprocket and knobby tires and make a cowtrail bike out of it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts