Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who say don't spend the extra cash in full coverage insurance for a older bike here is why you should. At this very moment (11:17 PM)I am sitting is a gas station parking lot with my bike broke down. Apparently the stator wires burnt up and since the battery can't get a charge the bike won't start now. Luckily I have full coverage with towing included so this will be free transport to the house. Lesson here is don't be a cheap skate with your bike insurance full coverage isn't that much for a bike.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Best of luck, dude! Hope it's nothing serious!

Reminds me, if you have full-coverage with towing, make sure they will tow to your choice, not limited to a shop. I got screwed on that arrangement a few years ago with a car. $600 bill for a $90 alternator later . . . I dropped towing insurance on my Mustang.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best of luck, dude! Hope it's nothing serious!

Reminds me, if you have full-coverage with towing, make sure they will tow to your choice, not limited to a shop. I got screwed on that arrangement a few years ago with a car. $600 bill for a $90 alternator later . . . I dropped towing insurance on my Mustang.
Thanks. Just a matter of soldering the wires up and charging the battery it looks like. But as far as the tow location it's up to 20 miles or nearest dealer through my insurance.

·
Registered
8,010 Posts
75 mi. on Progressive and the insurance I have now. And yes spend the the spare change for full coverage and be sure the towing service has a rig large enough to haul a Valk or you will get stuck in the arse for $$.

·
Registered
5,721 Posts
The difference in the premium for basic and full coverage cost more than a tow. I have CAA, Canadian equivalent to AAA, and motorcycle towing is included.

Sitting on my Shadow making vroom vroom noises.

·
Registered
16,269 Posts
Short prayer lifted

Thanks. Just a matter of soldering the wires up and charging the battery it looks like. But as far as the tow location it's up to 20 miles or nearest dealer through my insurance.

Yes Hopefully that`s all that`s needed and you`ll be back on the road today... ;)

Free Towing??
Join AMA!
Join the fight for our Rights as motorcyclists AND get FREE Towing!! :D:D

We need to stop legislation by NON Riders,
D

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Happy to report the tow truck driver knew what he was doing in regard to towing a bike for one lol. And me and the bike got home at about ahhh I'd say to dang late 30 last night lol. But I got the wires soldered up and she is making her own vroom vroom sounds again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I agree, not all insurance policies do include such services like towing, or either some do have particular area limit for that. That's why one should look before you buy. It is really important to know what is actually covered under your insurance policy. There are multiple factors to be considered while buying motorcycle insurance like rider's experience and age, your vehicle model and maintenance, insurers claim settlement ratio etc. My friend has recently done his bike insurance from motorcycle insurance Boca Raton and had got a quiet good discount for loyalty and long term insurance cover.

https://s28.postimg.cc/c6q4zl3fx/honda-vt750shadow-aero-13.jpg

·
Registered
467 Posts
Not all vehicle service policies in different locations have the same service. To my surprise, AAA-Plus in York, PA does not cover motorcycles at all. In other locations (where my Sons reside) it is covered under RV added to their policy. However, RV added to my AAA-Plus does not cover motorcycles. As for insurance, mine will cover road service via reimbursement to a limit which is not defined in the policy or by the agent. By attempting to read the fine print, it appears to have numerous loopholes for them to decline reimbursement unless the planets are aligned properly and it is every other leap-year but not Russian groundhog day! Go figure... What real insurance do we have you ask??? Cash, credit card, and a real friend(s) that has a vehicle to do the job no matter what.

·
Super Moderator
6,472 Posts
I've got Progressive (full coverage) which includes towing and I gotta' say, their towing policy awesome.

I discovered my motorcycles rear tire flat on a Sunday morning; in my garage.
I called Progressive and within a couple of hours a flat-bed tow truck with a special motorcycle hook arrived at my driveway. The only motorcycle service department that could get me in on a Sunday was about 25 miles away.

No problem for the tow truck company and the best part, when I got to the Dealer, they took my bike right in, no waiting. In fact the service advisor explained to the other customers that their policy is when a bike comes in on a hook, they get top priority.

I was out of there in less than an hour. I did have to pay for the flat tire repair, but the tow didn't cast me a penny. And I was still able to get a ride in that day!

Phil

·
Registered
10,970 Posts
I agree with the need for good coverage, but I think it's funny how someone will pay each month for maybe a few years, then say "...and the tow didn't cost me anything...."
Yeah it did.
Do a cost analysis of what you have paid in for your coverage from the day it started to the day of your one tow. Look at the cost of the tow. I'd bet in most cases more $$ is paid into the coverage than what the tow cost.

Not knocking coverage, but nothing is as free as it seems.

·
Registered
10,153 Posts
I agree with the need for good coverage, but I think it's funny how someone will pay each month for maybe a few years, then say "...and the tow didn't cost me anything...."
Yeah it did.
Do a cost analysis of what you have paid in for your coverage from the day it started to the day of your one tow. Look at the cost of the tow. I'd bet in most cases more $$ is paid into the coverage than what the tow cost.

Not knocking coverage, but nothing is as free as it seems.
Indeed. The absolute coverage every biker needs is UNDER Insured. There are few "fender benders" on a bike. If someone causes you to go down with only minimum State mandated coverages.........The helicopter ride would use up their coverage. The rest is on your if you don't have under insured. There are far more people who buy the minimum coverage When I see "$90 a year coverage cost I know that person is underinsured and does not carry under or uninsured........ALL costs will be born by the downed biker, Chances are the person at fault has nothing to sue for or they would have protected themselves, People who have a lot to lose normally insure to protect assets. Others just buy the minimums and hope for the best.

$25K liability is nothing today. Especially if bikers are suing for damages, Rant over

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Meh, I get health from my employer, and I have like a $100 deductible or some ridiculously amazing number.

The full coverage for Grace is nearly 1k, because Jersey, so even if I could afford that, in 2 1/2 years, I'll save enough to cover the replacement cost, and you'll never get back the actual cost on a wrecked bike, I don't care what your policy says.

As for towing, if I didn't have 2 truck driving, trailer owning siblings, and a truck driving trailer owning father, I would definitely pay the abate cost!
But the trailers already paid for, so I'm covered.

·
Premium Member
8,681 Posts
..People who have a lot to lose normally insure to protect assets. Others just buy the minimums and hope for the best. ...$25K liability is nothing today.
Agreed. How much do you value your bike. Insure it for that much. How much do you value your ass? Insure it for that much. How long do you think you will be off work with busted bonez and TBI's? OooPs! Didn't make it.. :( ...have insurance for that sh*t too.

Or not.

But I wouldn't count on the other guy covering your costs, or the muppet you bounce off-of having anything to sue for to cover those costs - that's IF you could get a lawyer to take your case for a percentage of next-to-nothing.

It's all risk these things we do. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Progressive as I understand it covers the first 50 miles? ABATE covers 35? miles ..Either way, I have towing pretty-much covered if I should need it. ...The rest costs me about $850 a year - which - yes - buys me a LOT of insurance. Lets hope I'm just wasting money! ;) .. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
15 Participants
Mark-B
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing