Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of the best rides I ever had involved roads I didn't particularly want to ride on

·
Registered
323 Posts
Many of the best rides I ever had involved roads I didn't particularly want to ride on
Yep! I never plan a ride. I wound up in a little town called Old River Winfree Tx this weekend. Took me four hours to figure out how to get home and only two hours to get there in the first place.

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Got to agree. My Dad used to play a game of hide and seek with me on our bikes in his back road biking grounds in northern WI. He knew the area and would take me to some great scenic sites. Good times!!

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
Normally I have to plan rides due to time constraints, but last Sunday I just headed out >^v< ...?? mmm.... > Thataway :)

.. Awesome.. Gonna be doing that more often ;)

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Ya know I tend to agree it is possible. Not the roads that I already had a preconceived notion about, but just the ones I had not planned to ride on, yet somehow discovered. But, getting lost out in the 'woods' with a small fuel tank is a real drag.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
When I was a little kid my grandfather would pile us in the car and "take a drive". His idea of a drive was to go until you were lost, then find a way back. To this day I credit him for my enjoyment of coming to an intersection and deciding which way to go based on "that way looks interesting" or "I wonder where that goes".

A recent road I didn't think I'd enjoy was route 30 but one day it was just the most practical to take. When I got west of Chambersburg I discovered there are some beautiful and fun stretches of that road. I always equated Rt 30 with the stretch that runs east of the Susquehanna River, which is not a fun ride.

Reactions: punxsybob

·
Premium Member
8,857 Posts
But, getting lost out in the 'woods' with a small fuel tank is a real drag.
That's when I find my GPS comes in handy.. Just hit the home button, it will tell you how far you are away, how far to nearest gas station, how long it will take you to get back..

True. Not as Exciting. :lol:.. But they do definitely come in handy for that. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I did this years ago with a friend that now rides too. We ended up in Globe NC. Start the "Deliverance music". I'm talking about getting the look from everyone at the little store we stopped at, and then wisely decided not to go in after all.

·
Registered
467 Posts
..."When I got west of Chambersburg I discovered there are some beautiful and fun stretches of that road. I always equated Rt 30 with the stretch that runs east of the Susquehanna River, which is not a fun ride.[/QUOTE]

Thought of traveling US30 (the Old Lincoln Highway) on it's full original path from coast to coast. But I waited to long and now it's to late for me to physically accomplish on two wheels. :-(

·
Registered
232 Posts
I'm not trying to be "that guy", but pickin' a direction is 99% of my riding. All last summer the G-son and I would take off and ride for a couple of hours stopping to look at creeks, or to stretch, grab a soda pop. I'd let him pick where we'd turn or which direction we'd go. When we decided to head home, we'd just go a certain direction. Eventually we'd cross a highway, road, or a town we knew and go from there. I seriously thought that's what you did with motorcycles. When I worked, I used it for a daily driver, but still rode like this every chance I got. We put 8300 miles on my shadow last year like this and me riding at night. I ended up in Arkansas once last year. Grabbed some McDonalds for supper, and spent the night sleeping on the ground at some lake. Coffee at a waffle shop next morning and back home. Great fun when you just wander.

·
Registered
52 Posts
howdy , yup, I stopped to ask directions to the nearest coffee shop and the feller stroked a little and scratched his nose and said "well I reckon ya can't get there from here, ya gota go up the road a right smart piece and turn right , then go to the house at an angle and just past that ya turn right on the pasture road and go to the nex road an' I reckon ya can get there going west from there a whoop'n'a'holler. yup an I reckon if'n I had done a u turn where I asked d'rections it'd only been a half mile.

ken

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I did this years ago with a friend that now rides too. We ended up in Globe NC. Start the "Deliverance music". I'm talking about getting the look from everyone at the little store we stopped at, and then wisely decided not to go in after all.
LOL, this happened to a friend and i once. We were on our way back from ATL and two weeks of training for our new position at work and stopped at some dead end exit off I-75 in middle the of KY. We hung around long enough to take a piss and i looked at him and kinda under my breath did the dueling banjos sound and he said "yea, you got enough gas to make it to the next exit?" and i replied "yea, i think were too pretty for this one" and we split.

To this day we still bring that up and tremble a bit and we are both 6ft tall and at the time well over 300 lbs, so no 'pretty boy college nerd type', yet it still scared us enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts