Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I happened to stumble across your forum. I didn't know that this forum exists. I'm also a member of Honda Rebel Forum. I own '05 Rebel (Candy Orange).... possibly a future owner of a Shadow! :)

A reason why I came here is that a friend of mine is planning to sell his bike to me this coming spring. '84 Honda Shadow VT 500C for $1,200. It has 13,302 miles on it, 4.2 gallon tank, 4 spark plugs, 2 carbs, heat wrap short mufflers (custom made), chrome tails, saddlebags, windshield and fog/ spotlights.

My friend is a 2nd owner. The first owner didn't use the bike very often. Anyway, my question is 'is it a good deal?' How hard is it to find parts for '84 VT500C? LASTLY, what do you think of this bike?

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
If you are asking me, well I would by pass on it, might be a good price and all that but it is getting into the very old classic stage and unless you are a good/great mechanic you might have some problems in keeping it running and also obtaining parts, just my personal 2 cents, I'd save up my money, ride the rebel and get a bike 5 yrs old or newer.

·
Registered
10,167 Posts
Seems expensive to me for a 23 year old, small CC bike. I would say $500-$700 would be closer to the high end of what it's worth.....

·
Registered
323 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I can't tell you much about used bikes other
than if I like it and can afford it I'll buy it. Not the best strategy I know,
but as the saying goes the beauty is in the eye of the beholder. It is
a decent looking bike, I'm looking around for a smaller bike for my
grandson and I a project. He's only 13 now, maybe before he can
get his license we can do a project together. I know around this area,
there are some older bike shops with salvage bikes to pick over. Good
luck...

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forum! As to your question, 'is it a good deal?', unless it has exactly the extras you are looking for on a bike, I would have to say no. As xrayr said, you can find similar bikes for less money. I would also say it isn't a bad deal it's just that you are paying extra for the addons that your friend wanted. The mileage isn't bad so that means it should last for a while but as Eldorado said, it's going to be hard to find parts and if you don't work on it yourself, you might have a hard time getting someone to work on it.

Ultimately, it's up to you to decide. If it fits you and you enjoy riding it, then go for it. Otherwise, look for something else.

My 2 cents.

sanoke

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wouldnt say its a bad deal, I've always liked the older Hondas. Like Eldorado said though they do typically require a little work now and then to keep in top running condition. The bike looks to be very well taken care of and if you could get him to come down a bit on the price Id say go for it.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Welcome to the forum Deaf!! Maybe I could get a couple lessons for "signing". Got a friend who's deaf...it gets interesting at times. :roll: :lol:

As for your question, I'd pass on this bike. Yes, there's many good aspects but overall...age of bike, parts availibility are the biggest issues.
If your on a Rebel 250 now...save your money and move up to a little bigger bike like the VLX 600 (used). Many of this models are out there, some with a lot of extras, some not.

You probably looking for a little bigger bike for short commute/local riding. The 600 would fit all of that.

Bullzeyet

1 - 7 of 7 Posts