Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What got you into riding? Is it because your significant other rides or you took it upon yourself? If the latter, what does he do while you're out cruising. Do you ride alone or with other people?

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
My wife is not a member of this board but I will answer for her:
She had always admired motorcycles from a distance and when we met I expressed to her my desire to ride (my ex-wife was firmly against motorcycles). She was all for it and the plan was for her to ride on the back.
I was pretty insistent that she take the course with me and at least learn how a motorcycle works in case of an emergency. She didn’t make it through the class the first time but not only did she learn that she “could” ride but that she rather enjoyed it. We went out and bought her a Rebel and about 2 months later she re-took the class and passed with flying colors.

She has been through 4 motorcycles and currently owns two motorcycles and loves to take long trips. I couldn’t be prouder!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I have had a real disire to get my own bike after going to my first bike rally in Myrtle Beach about 6 years ago! It took me a little while to finally get my first bike and now I am riding to work about 1/2 the time and Love going to the Rallys. Been to Dayton and Myrtle Beach this year!

·
Registered
617 Posts
What got you into riding? Is it because your significant other rides or you took it upon yourself? If the latter, what does he do while you're out cruising. Do you ride alone or with other people?
I always wanted to ride, even as a little kid I begged for a dirt bike and a moped, but my parents weren't having any of that!!! After leaving home I just never really did anything about it. When I was young I didn't really know anyone who rode...sooooo.

My husband had a motorcycle when we first met, but sold it soon after. We married, had 2 kids shortly after that, and I had put motorcycles completely out of my mind. Then last fall just after my 40th birthday, my husband brought a motorcycle home. He took me for a ride around the block and that was it - I wanted my own bike.(have never been on the back again)

We started buying gear in the fall and gave it to ourselves for Christmas. I started reading motorcycle books to learn about safety and basic motorcycle skills. I went down and got the booklet from the DOT office so as soon as i got a bike i could get the permit.

We finally got the Badoshadow in April when we still had 4 feet of snow on the ground. I got my permit right away. We started riding on any day that the roads weren't icy...it was so much fun. We took the motorcycle safety class in June, got our licenses the next morning.

We ride almost everyday and I LOVE IT. We ride together most evenings after work, and in the mornings before work sometimes. We ride on weekends too. I can't believe I did not do this when I was 20, but the truth is I didn't have the money to support the habit back then.

By the way Big B and QueenBee, I will be in your neck of the woods next week. I'm coming to Silver Spring on a business trip. One of my favorite co workers lives in Olney. It's such a nice area, very greeeeeeeeeen, very different from N.D.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a moped when I was 14. I think that started it all! Bought my first bike when I was 27, and then took a break for 16 years. We bought a 750 in July, and ya...chicks dig guys on bikes, cuz that's what got me interested a few years ago! I love being a passenger, but it's nice to hop on and escape the realities for a while! Husband stays home with 10 year old. And vice versa. So far, it's working out, but there will be a 2nd bike in our garage come Spring!

·
Registered
247 Posts
My dad has had a bike of some sort as long as I can remember and I spent many a trip on the back of his. Well, life happens and I just wasn't getting my daddy-daughter ride time anymore (mom's been taking my spot!) Then I got married and the hubby picked up an old shovelhead when he switched jobs and cashed out his 401k...that one wasn't so fun to hop on the back of! So, after being left home a few too many times I decided I wanted my own! Shopped around a while trying to find the right fit and the right price and I LOVE my little Shadow! Up until Tuesday, the hubby and/or dad have been my riding posse--hubby's primary belt broke on the way home from work so his is in the shop.

·
Registered
48 Posts
been on dirt bikes since i was 12, raced motocross growing up. Wasnt allowed to have a street bike...i moved home to pursue welding at a local school and pops had a late life crisis and decided to get a road star 1700. He had no one to ride with so we picked up an 84 gs1100 and ive been on the road ever since, but now im riding my bike and getting ready to build my next. I love riding and wish i had more people to ride with but my idea of cruising and others isnt always the same. However once in a while i go out with some of my boys that know how to roll and miss em when im solo. Lately ive been running 30minutes out to my union hall for welding certs solo everyday and love it.

·
Registered
110 Posts
been on dirt bikes since i was 12, raced motocross growing up. Wasnt allowed to have a street bike...i moved home to pursue welding at a local school and pops had a late life crisis and decided to get a road star 1700. He had no one to ride with so we picked up an 84 gs1100 and ive been on the road ever since, but now im riding my bike and getting ready to build my next. I love riding and wish i had more people to ride with but my idea of cruising and others isnt always the same. However once in a while i go out with some of my boys that know how to roll and miss em when im solo. Lately ive been running 30minutes out to my union hall for welding certs solo everyday and love it.
nice looking bike in your sig, are there more pics of it?

·
Registered
256 Posts
OK...for me My Dad had a motorcycle when I was small. It was a Yamaha something....anyway, my dad used to take me out on it for short rides. I loved his bike. The tank was silver metal flake with black flake flames. My dad had his helmet to match is was silver metal flake. That's where my love began. All through HS I loved the Ninja....read about them in motorcyclist mag that my dad had sent to the house for me. Fast Forward like 17 years and I meet this guy at the gym who had a 750Katana. That bike was hot...and so was he!!! Anyway I asked for him to take me for a ride. Well that hot guy at the gym was Big-B. Anyway he took me for one hell of a ride. Then we went to a park and got to know one another a little better.

Back on point....when I was going to turn 30, I decided for my b-day I was going to get myself my M license. I signed up for the Beginner rider course. I then went to the DMV ang got my lerner's permit. The class didn't start until a few months but I decided to start looking for a bike. I found one on e-bay and it was a Suzuki GZ-250. It was perfect for me. So I bought and had it tractor trailered to my house. After I got my lerner's Big-B would take me up the street to the elementary school parking lot. That's where I got my first taste a driver of that bike. Needless to day I was scared s h i t less.

The course came and went and when I got home I told Big-B I was ready to go out. I hoped on my bike and took off like a woman with many years experience of riding. When I got back home he asked me, "Who are you and what did you do with my wife?"

As the say....the rest is history!!!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I started out riding my brother's dirt bikes in the late 60's. Bought my first street bike, a Honda CB350 in 1970 and got my license. First woman to get a license at that particular registry. The registry officer told me a woman had no business on a motorcycle, but I passed the test and he gave me the license. Incidentally, I flunked my cage license the same day, so ended up for 6 months with a motorcycle only license. Rode my bike all winter in Massachusetts. Stopped once for a hitchiker and he wouldn't get on with me :). Fast forward 40 years, and kids grown, decided to get a bike again. My husband doesn't ride, so I ride mostly alone, and have one other girl I ride with. Love my Shadow!

·
Registered
756 Posts
I think you might be surprised with some of the responces, most of the women i know that ride have been riding for decades, see if the same shows here, I wouldnt be surprised if the small group of women on this forum have more riding time in than the men

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I started riding in my early teens, when I was single... took it back up when I became single again. Kids, relationships and life inbetween. I ride 'cuz I like it, to heck with what any so-called "partner" or "mate" might think. It's my ride, and I ride it my way, on my time, and with nobody's approval or permission. *grin*

·
Registered
213 Posts
Rode when I was 20 and stopped because I didn't have people to ride with and I was young and wanted to be with people.

Now I'm 48 and starting again. I don't want to be with people :mrgreen:

Just kidding.

My husband rides a lot and I rode on back with him sometimes. He complained I was a bad passenger because I had a hard time sitting up straight. I kept wanting to lean in the curves like I was driving. I didn't even realize I was doing it.

I also like to be in control and on the back, I had none. We went on the roads he wanted to go on, the speed he wanted to go, etc.

My job can be stressful, my kids are gone, and I wanted to have something to do that was fun. My life was beginning to be work, school, and cleaning the house.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
When I divorced the first thing I did was buy a bike. I 'd never ridden before either, was never exposed to it personally. Maybe I wanted to because for so long it was not an option :) lol anyway, all I know is I'm a huge enthusiast now. I live in an area that has great weather year round and I ride every day the sun shines and is above 35 degrees. I ride alone, something I can do all by myself. I'm at the point I want to go to school to learn to work on bikes. Luckily my employer has a presence in Kissimmee where there is a good program, could relocate temporarily. Anywhoooooo... biking has changed my lifestyle to say the least!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.