Honda Shadow Forums banner

A quick pic...

2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  aussieron 
#1 ·
I got this '96 Shadow for $5000 (Aus) with 15000Kms in pretty good condition, new tyres, no reg though :?
Whadya reckon fellas?

Oh, i did put the shield/screen on it and with a few rides and a few adjustments, it is now saving my bars from the death grip I was giving them at 100k's! A bit more noisy around my helmet but definately worth it! Thanks for the suggestions!

Sam

See less See more
#2 ·
Thats a sweet lookin ride there Sam.

Enjoy her mate and maybe next year I might be able to see her in person.

#5 ·
I think if Aus $$$ is worth more than american money you paid WAY too much for an 11yo bike.

Hell if you walk into a Honda Dealer here in the U.S. with $5000 cash you could probably walk out the door with a brand new 2007 VT750. Or 1 that is less than a year old and basically brandnew still under warranty.

#6 ·
White-Zombie-666 said:
I think if Aus $$$ is worth more than american money you paid WAY too much for an 11yo bike.

Hell if you walk into a Honda Dealer here in the U.S. with $5000 cash you could probably walk out the door with a brand new 2007 VT750. Or 1 that is less than a year old and basically brandnew still under warranty.
Aussie dollars are worth less than US dollars (but catching up fast!) and you'd obviously be surprised what used shadows go for outside of this country. Your scenario is useless - he's not in the US - it's simply not applicable.

#10 ·
White-Zombie-666 said:
AUSTRALIA Country
AUS $ Currency

1.701838 USD
1.521 EUR
1.5635 JPY

Aus $5000 / 1.7 = $2941.17 US.

I guess that's not AS bad. But it still seems like alot of money for an 11yo Honda.
No, $5000 Australian = $4,136 US (AUD is worth almost .83 cents US)

BTW, TassieRider I like the bike - especially the 2-tone paint (sorry we're turning this into our own pissing contest)

#11 ·
The guy I bought it off, was going to swap it with a dealer for a four wheeler. The dealer would have given him $5000 cash, and put $6500-$6999 on it, on the floor of his showroom. I have seen many shadows with more Km's on them, older and not in as good condition for no less than $6990 here. www.bikepoint.com.au is the most popular "mainland Australia" bike page. We have it a little different here in Tasmania (little island to the south of Melbourne) and most things are usually a bit more expensive. Bikes are also more rare, and less to choose from.
I dont mean to go on about it, but by our standards here (Tas) it is a pretty good deal.

#12 ·
I do not know how to explain this so maybe Aus Ron can help.

The price he paid is not bad at all for the bike being in AUS. While there is a difference in exchange rates there is also a difference in product costs. Australia has a population of close to 30 million people yet their land mass equals the USA. This equates to less purchasing power of products. For the most part the initial cost of a product is higher in AUS and because of this the used price will be higher as well.

When you have a small population like this, products cost more ( cars, bikes, appliances, etc. ). Their initial shipping costs are higher as well. Try shipping a package to AUS sometime. The costs can be outrageous.

I think he did OK on the deal.

Chris

#16 ·
Yea Christopher has a good piont.

Because our population is small we are but a spec on International Corporations markets. Thats why we only have 2 Shadow, 1 VTX1300 and 1 VTX1800 models to pick from at the dealers. We just end up with the left overs from the USA and Japan.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.