Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was about 39 degrees f. when i started up the bike with the choke, and i noticed that there was a small puddle (and i mean a light "puddle", more like a dark spot). i dabbeled it with my finger and it smelled like brake fluid. and right underneath the kickstand is where it is dripping. anybody dealt with the same thing or have any suggestions. i noticed this during my work week and havent had a chance to sheck on it.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
What bike (model) do you have??
But I doubt your leaking brake fluid and your rear brake still working and that is if your rear brake is disk.
MarkC

·
Registered
18 Posts
Leak Near Kickstand

I'm not sure what model motorcycle you have but it's possible it could be a coolant leak coming from the weep hole on the water pump.

I hope not!! Just a thought.

·
Registered
1994 Honda Shadow VT1100C. 1993 Honda VF750C Magna.
1,379 Posts
skaggs23 said:
It was about 39 degrees f. when i started up the bike with the choke, and i noticed that there was a small puddle (and i mean a light "puddle", more like a dark spot). i dabbeled it with my finger and it smelled like brake fluid. and right underneath the kickstand is where it is dripping. anybody dealt with the same thing or have any suggestions. i noticed this during my work week and havent had a chance to sheck on it.
Do you have a cable or hydraulic clutch? I seem to recall the hydraulic slave cylinder can leak although I am not certain of its location. Pretty easy fix, by all accounts.

Collector

·
Registered
336 Posts
Small leak, brake fluid, near kickstand...

I would guess it's a hydraulic clutch and the slave cylinder is leaking a little.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
sorry got it wrong

The liquid was actually anti-freeze. it never did it before, until i noticed it was low and i topped it off. i saw that someone else had this problem. i appreciate the replies. does anyone have any input on this sittuation?
thanks.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Check your colant hoses 1st in the cold everything contracts and the rubber stiffens and they will some times loosen up and seep a little. IF thats not it I would look at the water pump and keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
335 Posts
It's possible you just overfilled it. When the engine is cold the radiator will suck water in from the reservoir tank, then when it gets warm the coolant is pushed back into the reservoir. If you filled it when it was cold it could have overflowed a little while you were riding, and the coolant could have been blown anywhere, so it could drip from unlikely places and not be a problem.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Check the......

.... coolant cross over pipe between the cylinder heads. My Spirit has a small leak there that leaves a little damp spot by the kick stand. Need to address that. From what I understand it is a simple fix.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah i believed i overserviced it. it was cooled and i just filled it to the top of the resv.. and just for safety sake where is the water pump?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Easiest way to find a leak is to put a light coating of baby powder on the area you suspect the leak came from after you park the bike. When you come out later on, it'll be obvious where the leak is coming from.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts