Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lest any of you think your local government AND news media does not have a pro helmet agenda, listen up..

Two accidents, one involving a fatality occurred in NH yesterday. the guy in the fatal was wearing a lid..not ONE single word in the article pointing that out, ah but the guy without the lid..yep we knew all about him not wearing one. Keep this in mind as you peruse the seemingly endless posts about the protester..understand if he had died while wearing one you would never have known, understand that you are feeding off exactly what they want you to.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
Lest any of you think your local government AND news media does not have a pro helmet agenda, listen up..

Two accidents, one involving a fatality occurred in NH yesterday. the guy in the fatal was wearing a lid..not ONE single word in the article pointing that out, ah but the guy without the lid..yep we knew all about him not wearing one. Keep this in mind as you peruse the seemingly endless posts about the protester..understand if he had died while wearing one you would never have known, understand that you are feeding off exactly what they want you to.
No doubt both of these people went staright to heaven. I think we should offer up a prayer....Dear Lord, Please forgive the sins of mankind and allow that their disagreements will be peaceful. Bless all bikers whether they choose to wear helmets or choose not to wear helmets. Bless CD and speaking of CD, Dear Lord allow that he will know that I do not hold a grudge for very long even though it seems he makes a concerted effort to turn all of my posts into a religious discussion. Well, maybe not all of them, but for dam sure, too many of them. Peace out.....

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
No doubt both of these people went staright to heaven. I think we should offer up a prayer....Dear Lord, Please forgive the sins of mankind and allow that their disagreements will be peaceful. Bless all bikers whether they choose to wear helmets or choose not to wear helmets. Bless CD and speaking of CD, Dear Lord allow that he will know that I do not hold a grudge for very long even though it seems he makes a concerted effort to turn all of my posts into a religious discussion. Well, maybe not all of them, but for dam sure, too many of them. Peace out.....
I don't remember discussing anything, but rather stating something. Agree or disagree with it as you will. But apart from that you are absolutely correct in your devotion. However I made some changes, just for you.

·
Registered
650 Posts

Links to the news stories?

·
Registered
2,006 Posts

Nor would they have mentioned the accident if he had lived and had been helmetless.

Of course the story is a really big one because of the irony, not the facts.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Chicken Little comes to mind. Do you really think the fact that the rider without a helmet received more news coverage than the rider with one was due to a some collaberative effort between the government and the media to steal away your right to choose not to wear a helmet? Kind of reminds me of that movie Conspiracy Theory. Well, except that, in the movie I'm pretty sure they actually WERE out to get him.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Chicken Little comes to mind. Do you really think the fact that the rider without a helmet received more news coverage than the rider with one was due to a some collaberative effort between the government and the media to steal away your right to choose not to wear a helmet? Kind of reminds me of that movie Conspiracy Theory. Well, except that, in the movie I'm pretty sure they actually WERE out to get him.

no both got the same news, but one got *special" coverage to hone in on the point that he was "NOT" wearing a helmet..and yes it is to foster public sympathy to ever increasing laws for our "own good".. oh and they are actually out to get you.

and another..http://www.wmur.com/news/28317700/detail.html

·
Registered
790 Posts
I haven't actually seen anything about this other than posts on the message board so I'm curious as to what is considered "special" coverage. Also, what about this situation doesn't scream "NEWS WORTHY!" to you? All, political agenda's aside, this is just funny! Well, other than the fact that someone lost their life. But, this is the epitome of irony. A motorcycle accident is a common occurance. Only makes a big showing on the news if the rider was running from the cops or some other interesting scenario. But, a rider protesting the very thing that, had he had it, most likely would have saved his life? Reminds me of Indian Larry. Falls off a motorcycle that he was standing on and dies from head injuries. It was all over the news and not because someone was trying to save us from ourselves. It was because he was just STUPID! And stupid makes the news.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'm with and against the argument. (I'm middle of the road?! No way. Like always.)

CD makes a good point that "big brother" is always out to take away what little freedoms what have that we take for granted for the sake of protecting ourselves. But I'd also have to say that a story about a helmetless rider dying makes more money than a helmeted rider dying. One is a little irregular from the normal.

Granted, CD, this little point in the favor of the media's cash flow does increase the likelihood that the government has more of a grip on taking that small freedom away (or keeping it from getting to us to begin with). So, all-in-all, no matter what the reason, that wreck was a good blow to freedom for our choice in riding.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Happens all the time around here. If there is an accident involving injuries or death you can bet it will be pointed out if the rider was not wearing a lid.

What also drives me up the wall with these reports is that if another vehicle is involved it is alway the motorcyclist ran into the vehicle. Rare that you hear a motorcyclists right of way was violated.

**** if you take the reports at face value it sounds as if motorcyclists are just running into **** for kicks without helmets...........pisses me off.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I haven't actually seen anything about this other than posts on the message board so I'm curious as to what is considered "special" coverage. Also, what about this situation doesn't scream "NEWS WORTHY!" to you? All, political agenda's aside, this is just funny! Well, other than the fact that someone lost their life. But, this is the epitome of irony. A motorcycle accident is a common occurance. Only makes a big showing on the news if the rider was running from the cops or some other interesting scenario. But, a rider protesting the very thing that, had he had it, most likely would have saved his life? Reminds me of Indian Larry. Falls off a motorcycle that he was standing on and dies from head injuries. It was all over the news and not because someone was trying to save us from ourselves. It was because he was just STUPID! And stupid makes the news.
don't watch new much then I guess, because I have seen it plastered everywhere, national and local. It has nothing to do with the newsworthiness of a stupid biker crashing, it is the adamant need of pointing out one rider was not wearing a helmet when they died and not pointing out another rider WAS wearing theirs when then died.. a little something called equity that is missing. Does it make a difference, sure does, especially in public attitude, because most of the public are mindless sheeple that cannot put two and tow together. if you feed them a public image of only helmetless riders dying, you then reinforce the pro helmet law agenda in the public eye, which means it makes it a whole lot easier to pass along your agenda as law, because well we must protect them poor bikers from themselves.. John Doe does NOT go well ok..this ONE died without a helmet, and these three WERE wearing lids, so I guess the helmet issue is moot , so I won't be behind such a bill..John Doe goes, oh look at all the bikers dying without helmets, puts on his blinders to the fact that three died and supports such stupid laws!

·
Registered
790 Posts
True, I don't watch much news. Got other things going on. I still don't agree with you, though. For there to be a lack of equity, the helmeted biker would have needed to create a situation as loaded with irony as the non helmeted biker. Say, (hypothetically, of course) he was going to intentionally wreck to prove the effectiveness of wearing a helmet, but still died. That would have created just as much commotion and interest as the non helmeted biker. Obviously, no agenda would have been involved because it wouldn't jive with big brother trying to make everyone wear helmets. It would STILL be all over the news, though. Obviously, anyone that does have a agenda can use or disregard specific incidents as they see fit. I refuse to believe that that agenda is specifically driving the amount of coverage any one of these specific stories does or does not receive.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the newsworthiness of a stupid biker crashing.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
True, I don't watch much news. Got other things going on. I still don't agree with you, though. For there to be a lack of equity, the helmeted biker would have needed to create a situation as loaded with irony as the non helmeted biker. Say, (hypothetically, of course) he was going to intentionally wreck to prove the effectiveness of wearing a helmet, but still died. That would have created just as much commotion and interest as the non helmeted biker. Obviously, no agenda would have been involved because it wouldn't jive with big brother trying to make everyone wear helmets. It would STILL be all over the news, though. Obviously, anyone that does have a agenda can use or disregard specific incidents as they see fit. I refuse to believe that that agenda is specifically driving the amount of coverage any one of these specific stories does or does not receive.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the newsworthiness of a stupid biker crashing.

ok, stop looking at the NY thing and try to stay with me.. you and I crash we both die from the very same injury, but no one mentions you were wearing helmet, but the do mention I wasn't ..inequity, If it did not matter to the incident it should not be mentioned The mentioning of it gives off an assumption, just like some fool doctor saying " he may have not died..blah, blah..yeah right and you can prove that..how? None of this is for the mere purpose of reporting the news or being a good doctor, its all to propagate the cause of helmet laws.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Yeah that does piss me off how quickly they have to point the helmet usage out.Always at the last of the story too so you can have the well that guy should have known better thought stuck in your head.Same with seat belts in car crashes they always have to point that out like saying the guy was just asking for it.
For the record I wear a helmet most all of the time.

·
Registered
790 Posts
ok, stop looking at the NY thing and try to stay with me.. you and I crash we both die from the very same injury, but no one mentions you were wearing helmet, but the do mention I wasn't ..inequity, If it did not matter to the incident it should not be mentioned The mentioning of it gives off an assumption, just like some fool doctor saying " he may have not died..blah, blah..yeah right and you can prove that..how? None of this is for the mere purpose of reporting the news or being a good doctor, its all to propagate the cause of helmet laws.
Why stop looking at the NY thing? It's why we're talking about what we're talking about. If you change the situation to just you and I out for a ride then it doesn't represent the conversation we're having. But, since you insist... Had we both died today while out for a ride, neither of us would had been anything more than a quick explaination for the five mile back up during rush hour and then a 20 - 30 second spot on the evening news. The only reason this story garnered the attention that it did is, once again, because of the irony of the situation. Changing the parameters only reinforces my certainty that, rather than a big government conspiracy, we're only looking at what TV stations feel will raise ratings. Call it news worthiness or sensationalism. Arguing semantics doesn't change the situation.

At this point, I've come to the conclusion that you picture me as an ostrich with my head buried in the sand. I see you as a paranoid delusionist, constantly searching for any ambiguous scenario that you can skew the perception of to match whatever plot you feel big brother is hatching today. Neither one will concede nor convince the other that we are right. Having based these assumptions on the very little interaction we've had on an anonymous internet forum, I suspect (or hope) that we are both incorrect.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.