Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So how do I get over the shame and self-doubt that his officially entered my brain??? I've been riding since last october and I have about 400 miles under my belt here in chicago on both the city streets and highway and I'm comfortable on both. I took the MSF class 2 weeks ago and passed easily. The next day the guy from the state came out to administer the road test and I actually failed the test. I thought about suicide (not really, but couldn't belive how big I choked). I screwed up the offset weave and on the U-Turn I put my feet down. Both errors I didn't do once while in the class. To put things into perspective, it was 29 degrees at 8am and I had to wait about 2 hours to take my test. My wife was waiting for me to go car shopping (we ended up buying a new Porsche Boxster BTW) and I was growing very cold and impatient. So I figure the conditions lead to my lack of concentration. Here's my problem, I'm actually nervous for the re-test. Anyone else experience what I went through? Any advise? I'm kinda freaked out since the test is way harder than the actual street riding. I guess I'm just venting.
Thanks,
Mitch

·
Registered
902 Posts
Ya know what?
<whisper>
I failed the first time too.
</whisper>
Just practice some more to prove to yourself you really can do it, and don't beat yourself up.
Good luck.
-G

·
Registered
145 Posts
Find a smaller DMV where you don't have to wait in line as much. I've heard of some that will let you retest within 1 hour of a failure.

Just tell yourself that the test is only practice......the real test is out on the streets where it sounds if you've already passed it for 400 miles

·
Registered
284 Posts
Practice in a parking lot. Use the space dividers as points of reference. Scrape your pegs, do figure eights, practice counter steering and all that stuff. No safer place to learn. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
The first time I went to get my motorcycle license was 23 years ago but I remember it well. The instructor looked at me and said the test starts now. He pointed to a spot on the other side of the course and said meet me there. Well I put her in gear and proceeded to drive across the course and meet the instructor. We'll he's standing there shaking his head and says you FAIL. I said WHAT!! I haven't done anything yet. Then he tell me that where I started was the beginning and I drove right across the course instead of following the signs and doing what you should.

Man did I feel like a bonehead.

·
Registered
25 Posts
mlavin00,

I took my DM test at the Elgin DMV located on RT 20 & RT 31. I have also taken all 3 of my kids for their drivers license there as well. They seem a little bit easier on individuals there. I got dinked for (supposidely) not up-shifting but the testor let it go & I got the license. I also remember the 1st attempt at the quick stop I didn't get it up to speed and they let me do it a 2nd time. This all happened on the same test. Ya might want to investigate a DMV facility next time. Good luck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Try the Elgin DMV and see if you can borrow/rent a smaller bike. I know that the Woodstock Harley has a 250 Rebel that the let new Harley riders get used to and take their tests on. Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I'm not sure how Il administers their test but a possible tip is this. On the offset cone weave either miss the cone or put your foot down but not both.

On the U-turn either cross the line or foot but not both since you get 5 points for either, max 10 for both.

In Indiana at least the offset weave and U-turn are weighted very heavy. On the cones your get 3 points the first foot down and 5 points the second for 5 points max. Same deal on missed/hit cones, 3 points first cone, 5 points 2nd, 5 max. So you can easily rack up 10 points on the offset weave alone which is usually the max allowable before failing.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not sure what IL requires, but in WA state, where I got my first license, the endorsement was based on engine size. I did it on a Goldwing (albeit after I'd been riding a few years, foolishly, without an endorsement) and managed to pass. But it was tough on a big bike, even with experience. So, if you can get a Rebel or an ACE 750 (which I think is easier to maneuver than the Rebel) and they don't care about engine size, do that.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I failed my first test in IL too. It was the offset weave. I started a little back from the line the next time so I could get fully in gear before I had to weave and had no problems. You just have to practice the U turn. You should be able to get it down to 2 parking lot spaces and then you will have no worries. Learn to ride in the friction zone. Keep the clutch parially enguaged, revs up, rear brake slightly applied, it works. I have to agree, that test is much harder than the road. I had the uturn down though, but the cones kicked my but. You can also practice on them after hours (there are dots under where the cones are) so that can help.

Alan

·
Registered
507 Posts
In California, if you do the MSF course you do not have to do the road test portion of the driver's test. And we can lane split too!

·
Registered
521 Posts
billp said:
Try the Elgin DMV and see if you can borrow/rent a smaller bike. I know that the Woodstock Harley has a 250 Rebel that the let new Harley riders get used to and take their tests on. Just a thought.
But make sure you practice with the bike you are going to test on. I made the mistake of using my bike to practice, but when it came to the test, I used my wife's bike because it's smaller - big mistake. I wasn't used to her bike - I was used to mine. Technically i failed, but the instructor was having a good day i guess. He pulled me aside and pointed out where he could have (or should have) marked me down. My wife scored much better. He made sure to point that out to me :roll:

In Michigan, you just have to take the 10 question written test and then go to a third party instructor/tester. If you take a course - and pass that, that is all you need to do to get endorsed. We didn't take a course, but just used a third party instructor/tester. And I believe that there are a few different scenarios for 500cc and larger vs. the smaller bikes - like the U turn test gives you a little more area, etc.

·
Registered
37 Posts
First test after two years of riding and I dropped my bike on the test. Instant failure. Felt like an idiot but got my head back on the way home. Retested 2 wks later and scored 100%.

I've never felt more nervous riding around other people. I think the first time it was the nerves. Remember, you've been through worse (since you've been on the road for 400 miles). Deep breath and keep at it till you pass!

Good Luck and safe riding!

·
Registered
79 Posts
The instructor looked at me and said the test starts now. He pointed to a spot on the other side of the course and said meet me there. Well I put her in gear and proceeded to drive across the course and meet the instructor. We'll he's standing there shaking his head
I was the first in the class to test and did the exact same thing....after shaking her head she let me start again. By this time I was pretty rattled and almost blew the square of death that I had just nailed about five times in a row in practice.

Passed though.

·
Registered
43 Posts
First thing to do is make up a much better story. :D Add in a distracting girl with way to small top and go over how cold it was again. :shock: Maybe you only get lucky once a year and that day was the day. etc.... You can do better.

My brother is a licensed off road instructor, and has been on the street with temp's for 2 years. He can ride and I would never worry with him on my 6 or side. And there is only 2 riders I will let share a lane with me.
His story is it was raining cats and dogs and the instructor would not walk the course before he went as they are supposed to. Then the marks on the road were to hard to see from the rain due to age fade. He was the only one out of 20 scheduled to take the test to even show up in the rain. He failed, and even she said the marks were unreadable but she would not let him try again..

Don't let it bother you at all. Just try again and make up a better story...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for the replies. I was out practicing on the shadow yesterday because I had an hour to kill. Man, the difference between that bike and the MSF crap is insane. I got the U-turns dialed in, even on that heavy beast. Panic stops were fun on her as well. However there is no way that bike will manage an offset weave with the cones as close as they are on the test. Thats 550lbs of sluggish beast trying to ballet thru the cones. Not gonna happen. Perhaps next year when I take the ERC. I'm hoping that I don't psych myself out because I'm very comfortable on a motorcycle. Stupid test!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.