Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted something similar in the new member intro section before I had full privelages so mods please feel free to delete that post. I thought this was a more appropriate place for this inquiry.

I plan to buy a 2000 Aero 1100 locally this week but after test riding it, I noticed at idle, the handle bars shake up and down quite a bit, maybe a half inch in each direction constantly. I have never seen this before on any bike I have owned. Could something be loose? I read somewhere that certain bars have rubber bushings or mounts but I was not aware of that.

The bike was otherwise in nice shape and ran well, low miles, etc. I was just put off a little when the bars were shaking so much just sitting there idling. And this was after I rode the bike and it was idling so it seemed to be at a healthy pace. During the ride, it did not vibrate more than any other bike I ever rode.

Should I be concerned about this before purchasing?

·
Registered
274 Posts
My Spirit does this at idle. I assume that it's normal... you can do some things to dampen it but I don't find it a problem, personally

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Based on your question I'll assume you have never owned a V-twin Bike or seen one idling. Never seen the front wheel bouncing on an idling Harley. I might be wrong , but the Aero is a single crank pin motor. If so it will have an uneven idle, like a Harley, and will vibrate more at idle. The bar on all Shadows are rubber mounted to reduce vibration. You can go to a heavier bar or add bar wieghts to rduce the vibration.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Based on your question I'll assume you have never owned a V-twin Bike or seen one idling. Never seen the front wheel bouncing on an idling Harley. I might be wrong , but the Aero is a single crank pin motor. If so it will have an uneven idle, like a Harley, and will vibrate more at idle. The bar on all Shadows are rubber mounted to reduce vibration. You can go to a heavier bar or add bar wieghts to rduce the vibration.
I actually owned a handful of V-Twins, 2006 750 Aero with no bar shake, 2001 Sabre (no bar shake like this), 2006 Harley 883r (no bar shake like this or wheel bounce, but this was a rubbermount), and a SV650 which is a twin with no shake.

I have been around bikes for a long time, many of my friends ride HD and some have VTX's. Sure, I have seen the whole bike shake on my friends Lowrider at idle but I have just never seen handlebar undulation like this on the Aero. I guess I was comparing it more to my Sabre which was a twin pin of course, so that may be the difference.

I just wanted to make sure there was not something loose. But if the bars are rubbermounted combined with the single pin this makes sense now. Thanks!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Idle could also just be set too low. I have baby apes and they will get to gyrating if the idle is too low. Single pin motors vibrate more multi pins and mechanically balanced motors. Could be that, the bars, is where that particular bike manifests the vibration. Could be something is loose or too tight, for that matter? The vibration is not always Visable, and if it can be seen its not always the same place on every bike, every time My old Sportster would bounce the front wheel about 1/2" sometime and sometime almost not at all. My friend 883 was pretty smooth, but still shook a little.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, I'll have to check that. The bike had been sitting a little while, but I did take it out for 5-10 minutes on some backstreets, probably never got above 55, but I thought it would be warmed up. I'll have to play with the idle a little next time when I go to see it/maybe buy it by choking it a little and see if it goes away. As long as it is normal, that is fine by me, the bike is stunning, I have always wanted one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
That Aero is a single pin. It is supposed to vibrate. A lot. Now the risers may be loose, or the carbs out of sync (or both). Either way, when it idles and runs it vibrates. That is why many of us prefer the single pin years ('98-2000) of the Aero 1100's to the dual pin (2001 & 2002).

Congratulations ahead of time on joining the Aero Squadron.

·
Registered
74 Posts
My Aero likes to make the bars dance. It used to make me nervous---not so much now. Its good to see that this is a relatively common occurrence with a straight forward reason as to why.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
The A.C.E. shares the same motor and has the same sense of oneness you only get with a single pin crank, along with the shake that is. LOL

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Buy a Tourer....
I would love to but they are hard to find! There is one for sale locally but it is over $6000 with tons of miles. I am actually still on the fence about picking up the Aero 1100 or finding another Sabre.

I really liked my Sabre and the "pep" it had was much appreciated, especially when I was playing with the 18 wheelers on the slab in NJ years ago. 3rd gear and I could blast past anything in seconds, even uphill. I definitely love the sound of the single pin but I think the Sabre with a set of longshots sounds pretty righteous too! I don't think I can go wrong either way.

I have a Suzuki SV650 for the days I want to blast some backroads (if my wife lets me keep it), but I really miss just cruising and I love the older Honda bikes.

The Sabre is a good mix of everything since it does not weigh as much as some of the other offerings and it really does handle pretty well; better than my little 883r in my opinion, it just felt more balanced to me even though it was larger than the HD.

We'll see, I am going to look again at the Aero and at Sabre tonight and try to decide!

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
A bottle of Techron run through that motor might help smooth it out a little also. If really concerned, have a mechanic check it out.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts