Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thanks to all who responded to my "draggin jeans" post. led me to many (!) websites of other makes of mc wearing gear. my question: how many riders (i ride a 750 honda shadow - aero) actually wear impact protective gear, or only abrasion protective gear? when i bought my bike i promised my spouse i would be as careful as possible, and that includes what i wear. the impact gear looks very uncomfortable and cumbersome - is it worth it? at all effective? good abrasion gear enough? all feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
The old adage goes something like this:

When or if you finally have an accident, if you are not wearing the best most protective gear you could have afforded, you will wish you had been.

On the other hand, this is a sport with a known high level of risk and everyone has their own level or risk acceptance or avoidance.

·
Registered
546 Posts
100% of the time I wear the armor in my Brosh kevlar jeans and my Joe Rocket Jacket with elbow, shoulder and back armor. At Sturgis with the temps in the 80's and 90's I was one of the only riders with all that on- oh and a full face scorpion with leather gloves with gel pack on the outside knuckles.
Through the desert at 110 or when it is 38degrees- it all goes on, on every ride.
I duplicate when I ride my dirt bike but even more hard shell padding as the chances and reality of falling are much greater.
Remember as said above but slightly differently- If you knew you were going to crash at 10 am at the intersection near your house and there was no way to get out of it, how much gear would you wear? think about it

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have never heard anyone get up after taking a soil sample and say "I wish I wasnt wearing that (insert protective gear here)"
Glen

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
rockyjr said:
thanks to all who responded to my "draggin jeans" post. led me to many (!) websites of other makes of mc wearing gear. my question: how many riders (i ride a 750 honda shadow - aero) actually wear impact protective gear, or only abrasion protective gear? when i bought my bike i promised my spouse i would be as careful as possible, and that includes what i wear. the impact gear looks very uncomfortable and cumbersome - is it worth it? at all effective? good abrasion gear enough? all feedback appreciated.
Dress for the fall. No the padded/armored stuff really isn't uncomfortable if you get stuff that fits you properly. I can't say enough good stuff for quality armored gear.

·
Registered
549 Posts
i saw my friend neil (ihavethespirit) go down on his ride and get right back up without a scrape or a bruise...he was fully armored. i was wearing an armored jacket and regular jeans that day, but neil's survival made me decide to wear full armor all the time.

·
Registered
335 Posts
My gear is a Mossi jacket and pant set. They zip together so the jacket won't ride up, have abrasion and impact armor, and are waterproof. The jacket is comfortable, even in high temps, the liner zips out of the jacket and it actually feels cooler to have the jacket on than off in the California sun, as long as you're moving. The pants are a different story... if I wear them in temps over about 70 degrees, my jeans are soaked through after a 10 minute ride. Also, I have to take my boots off to get the pants on or off... Still, until I find something I like more that offers the same protection, I'm wearing all my current gear every time I go out, including helmet, gloves, and boots.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have started re-evaluating some of the gear I have bought as well. Some of the best information comes from other riders that have gone down. You find that either they have minimized their injuries and will replace the gear, or they blame their gear for the injuries received and will invest in better.

Here is another site talking about what type of gear to get and the protection points to be concerned about. http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/75.html

The problem I find is that you can't trust the write ups from the vendors. And let's face it, their goal is to make a profit. They are not concerned about crashes (in general) Abrasion resistant, heat resistant, what does that all mean when you crash?
Gone to some other boards and some of the gear I was considering was just trashed by other riders. This has more weighting in my decision then any professional marketing write up. If someone has gone down at 10 mph and their gear was destroyed...it's definitely off my list.

Also, going to vendor sites I am starting to read the labels more. Just because it's in a motorcycle store with a brand label means nothing. There are some MotoGP pants that I was considering, but even with an Internet search I can't figure out what they are made of (their site states "heat resistant material") We need to have more information to make a informed decision.

I ride a Honda Shadow Aero as well, and I will be wearing crash and abrasion protection. I won't be wearing a suit of armour, but definitely will buy gear that will give me the level of comfort and risk mitigation that will allow me to enjoy the ride. If I crash, I want to be in with the bikers that have been able to walk away and ride again another day.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I look for both impact and abrasion since I have a real loathing of skin grafts. Everyone thinks about broken bones but but deep tissue burns and abrasions can easily cost you a limb or two. The guy with the broken leg is back at it in six weeks while a bad abrashion can lay you up for months and cripple you for life.

If you get down to it heavy leather with hard armor will give you the best of both but for me in practical terms I don't enjoy passing out from heat stroke on 90 degree days with 90% humidity so I compromised by wearing textile jacket and overpants. The pants have soft armor in the hips and kness and the jacket has elbows, shoulders, back armor. Add to it leather gloves, full face helmet, boots and that is my everyday gear.

I fully expect that if I go down in a higher speed crash that the textile will be ruined but if it is and still protects me then it has done its job. I do know it works pretty well in low impact crashes because I was hit by a car doing around 25mph while wearing it, which is a longish story, but I walked away after being knocked over the hood. I was walking BTW not riding.

But again, nothing protects like good leather. I came off a race bike doing around 130 and slid across a better part of Florida and the gear not only protected me but was used again. The secret there though is to not hit anything solid while doing it. :)

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Having been a member of the "taken a ride on the asphalt slide" club, I can tell you that abrasion protection alone is not enough.

If you are going to spend that kind of money on protective clothes, go ahead and get race track quality CE armor approved stuff.

Textile or leather, either one will be fine as long as it fits you, it will not be uncomfortable.

Textile offers mesh for hot weather, as long as your moving you will be cool in even the hottest sunshine. And both leather and textile can be very warm in cold or rain riding.

As others have said, it's your choice as to what level of protection or not you want. I have full leather jacket and pants for cooler riding, and only a mesh jacket for warmer rides. Both are padded but not CE approved pads.

But I have to admit, I do not wear them all the time, I am guilty of being a jeans and tee shirt rider sometimes. But thats what I chose to do, you have to find what you are comfortable with.

·
Registered
949 Posts
okie, armor is great and all, but can you buy the armor pieces individually to get sewn into a garment? I am not aware of anyone that makes 3XL-Long underarmor. So it looks like I'd have to break out my sewing kit.....

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Sure you can get just the pads, look for replacement or "upgrade" pads on the sites that sell clothing gear.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I wear full leathers without armor most of the time and in summer wear a mesh jacket with armor. Having recently taken a fall, I'm looking at synthetic suits with armor. Leather is great for abrasion and worked well when I feel but synthetic suits provide all weather protection as well as abrasion resistance. I looking at the Areostitch suits, not cheap but are highly recomended.

billp

·
Registered
119 Posts
Well, with a question like yours I'd imagine the responses will be self-selecting. What I mean by this is, who would respond by saying "nah, I never wear any protective mc gear (on second thought, CrazyDave might, but that's another story :lol:)

That said, keep the following in mind - you're a new rider on a respectably-sized bike (at 544 lbs and 745 cc, the Shadow Aero is no slouch), that has a single-disc front, drum rear braking configuration (which is not exactly modern technology) and is pretty low to the ground (meaning you'll grind off your pegs if you lean too hard on a turn). So, its safe to say you might consider dressing for the crash, at least for awhile.

I only say this because I wrecked my old bike (also a Shadow Aero) and walked away with barely a scratch, only because I had a full-face helmet, armored jacket, and sturdy pants on. I didn't even notice how hard my head hit the ground, until I saw the ding in the back of my Shoei.

Keep the shiny side up dude!

·
Registered
54 Posts
:D :D I like a sturdy Leather Jacket And Leather Pants.
on a hot day I unzip the jacket 1/4 -1/2 way down unzip cuffs,
and belive it or not the zipper on my pants. (cool man, verycool) :roll: :roll:
But i'm a cruiser NOT a speed merchant.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
For Christmas, my wife gave me a full body suite made of Armortex. It was the result of a lot of research on her part and looks to be comfortable. I say looks, because three days earlier I got hit by a car so have not been able to ride since. I will never ride with out that suite again. I wish she had given it to me the day she bought it, but who knew, I certainly never planned on it. From now on, I will always plan on being hit.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Alot of good responses. As for comfort, I was pleasantly surprised that the Joe Rocket CBR Armored Mesh Jacket I bought is very comfortable while I am riding. It is cut to feel the best in the riding position. Its only uncomfortable when I get off the bike.

And welcome to the board!

Bruce

1 - 20 of 33 Posts