Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my wife comes home from dealing poker. One of her players mentions he has a 2001 HS VLX for sale, (!4,000 miles, $1500). She rode a lot as a kid; me too, but only on the back with my dad, scared the CRAP outta me. Now, it's 20 years later, and we're bike owners. Time for me to face some fears and for her to live her dreams, but we need some info before we start.

1) Did we get a good deal?
2) Is there any way to get an owner's manual, and is it worth our time to track one down?
3) It has a toggle shift. Wife says all bikes are "one down and four up," (I'd rather not wait until bike school to figure out what that means, any help?), but that she doesn't know if that is true with the toggle shifter. Is there something out of the ordinary that she (I) need to know?
4) She wants it puurrrty...will any accessories fit (particularly saddle bags), or is she better off with Honda products?

Well, I guess that's it. Flame me if you must, but a minute or two of your advice would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,689 Posts

If it is in good shape and has been taken care of I would say you got a very good deal

2) Is there any way to get an owner's manual, and is it worth our time to track one down?

Yes keep an eye on ebay. You can order them from heiminc.com. (I believe is the correct link)

3) It has a toggle shift. Wife says all bikes are "one down and four up," (I'd rather not wait until bike school to figure out what that means, any help?), but that she doesn't know if that is true with the toggle shifter. Is there something out of the ordinary that she (I) need to know?

It is a VLX so it's 1 down and 3 up (4 spd), neutral is between 1 and 2.

4) She wants it puurrrty...will any accessories fit (particularly saddle bags), or is she better off with Honda products?

Yes but wait til you get used to it and get the newbie ''drops and skitters" out of the way.....save you a ton of money and won't be damaging new bling.

Get that MSF course as soon as you can sign up now!!!
Read David Houghs Proficient Motorycycling and More Proficent Motorcycling while you are waiting for the course.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yep, CBJR about summed it up. But one thing's worth repeating nevertheless - its a good idea not to spend a lot of $$ making Bike #1 the "Dream Bike" - Better to have that first bike be something you enjoy, but otherwise wouldn't mind parting with in a year or two (voluntarily or otherwise ... :roll: ).

Good luck with your MSF course!

·
Registered
3,736 Posts
Yep, yep and double-yep!

As mentioned, before you bling, wait and make sure the bike is a keeper. I started out on a VLX 600 but upgraded to an 1100 after a month because I needed more power.

Some bling, engine guards, certain saddlebags etc are bike specific and it won't necessarily increase the value of your bike if you decide to trade in or sell. However, you did get a GREAT deal if the bike is in good shape.

Good luck and welcome!

BTW,

Ain't nothing finer than a wife that rides! YeeeeeeeHAAAAW!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all so much for your kind and quick replies. Feelin' AWESOME about the purchase now, and that was 14,000, not (holy crap!)4,000 miles. I should proof better...

I'll try and track down the manual; thanks for the link!

So, one down, (the front of the toggle) puts you in first, next three up (back of the toggle) takes you up through fourth. I'm not sure how neutral can be between 1st and 2nd, a half click or something? Downshifting on the front of the toggle, right?

Excellent advice about the "first bike" bling. Saddle bags will be a practical purchase necessity, but I'll definitely try to pick up used, now. I'm not looking forward to the "drops and skitters," but I guess it's a given.

And as to the comment...

Hunnus:Ain't nothing finer than a wife that rides! YeeeeeeeHAAAAW!!!

LOL! No lie, my friend, no lie!

Much obliged!

·
Registered
225 Posts
yeah, most stock bikes tend to have a "neutral" light.

just keep jamming the front down until it stops doing anything. then if you push the back down about halfway, you should see a lite pop on. that's telling you you are in neutral.

if neutral is halfway back from first, then second is all the way back.

then third is back again.

and forth is back a final time.

from there
forward all the way goes to third....
then second...
then first (unless you stopped halfway, and lit the light)

G

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the forum :D Just to give you an idea of all the accessories that are available for your bike you should check out http://www.cruisercustomizing.com Click on the Honda picture, then click on the VLX. You'll see most everything that is available.

That's a very good price for that bike. Have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Check the for sale forum here for some accessories. I have bought several items from forum members at about half the price of retail. Other than that, ebay is a great resource for gently used Shadow parts.

·
Registered
335 Posts
delserpio said:
(!4,000 miles, $1500).
Heck yeah you got a good deal, new you'd have spent 6-7k and used is usually between 2-3k. You can keep it 4 or 5 years and sell it for what you paid.

delserpio said:
Ebay is a good idea. Also, if you are planning on doing any of your own work, the official Honda Shop Manual is the best, better than Clymer (more specific, good pictures) so keep an eye out for a deal on one of those too ($60 from the dealer)

delserpio said:
Does a 'toggle shifter' mean a heel-toe? if yes, then pressing the rear is the same as lifting the front (all I have) so if you're in Neutral First gear is down (front down), second, third, and 4th are up (heel down). Neutral is sometimes hard to find, it's between second and first. I seem to have better luck finding it if the engine is off or if I am rolling down the driveway toward the garage. I don't use neutral at stop lights, I stay in first as I want to be ready to move if someone is coming up on me fast.

delserpio said:
I bought saddlebags for mine, love them. Beware that large saddlebags won't fit, the rear turn signals are too far forward and the seat is to close to the exhaust. If your bags are too close to the exhaust you can have melting, warping, and worse case, fire. Mine are about 2 inches off the exhaust and seem to be fine (Tour Master mid-size). Also, you will need guide bars to keep the bags from swinging in and hitting the tire or sprocket. The dealer tried to sell me Honda brand but I found MC Enterprises on the next shelf over that were 25% less. Look around online, here on the For Sale boards, and anywhere else you think of.

You're going to love that bike. You didn't mention color, but it's a twin to mine otherwise. Take the MSF course!! I only took it to get out of the DMV ride test but after going through it believe that it has saved my life, and plus it was fun.. .you're learning surrounded by others that are also learning, and you're doing it on a small bike that ISN'T YOURS. I was less paranoid about dropping a bike that's already been dropped a few times, but it was a non-issue, the training was excellent and not rushed, I didn't do anything I hadn't been prepared for.

Sorry that was so long-winded, I hope it was helpful. Welcome to the forum, and for that mater, the world of motorcycles! If you get a chance, I would love to see a picture of your new ride and the happy owners!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome, enjoy your ride! Take the MSF asap!!
Ask around everyone has that stupid moment they don't wish to share about when they ooops dropped the bike. Better to do with a used. We. hubby and I have 1 vlx. I would like bigger but she suits our needs of riding around where we live. Capable of comforable 2 hr stint with speeds from 30 to 65 ish. (Meaning when giving the chance 75) Enjoy :D

·
Registered
231 Posts

No one has a dumb question.. Newbie or Not. We all have questions to ask and some people may be more knowledgeable in some areas than others. So don't think that a question is dumb or stupid.

Speakin of which i had said I had a stupid question, but in fact it wasn't only because I didn't know, but with the help of the people on this forum that are knowledgable and are experienced more we are only greatful that on here.. That's why they call it a forum so that people can answer questions where other people may know the answers we are unaware of.

Anyway on that note. Welcome to this fantastic forum of such knowledgeable and friendly people..

I am glad I joined..

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Great bunch of folks here, both new riders and seasoned veterans (light on the salt for some of the older fellas :) )

I picked up my '92 VLX for $2400 from a good friend, so if your bike's in good shape then you got an outstanding deal.

As others have said, take the MSF course. It's easy, it's FUN and you learn some of the basic skills that could save your hide someday. Afterwards, find yourself and empy parking lot and practice, practice, practice your slow speed maneuvering. Our instructor once said, "The MSF course gets you qualified to practice in a parking lot. Once you can do that regularly, you're ready for the road." That might be a bit harsh to some, but I took it to heart and I almost always find a parking lot while on my afternoon ride and practice a few things.

I've found the VLX to be a perfect starter bike for a new rider such as myself. It's got enough horsepower to get you down the road, but not enough to get you in trouble (unless you push it). It's great in the curves too.. very forgiving bike.

It's 1 down, 3 up, with neutral a half-click between 1st and second. You'll get that down when you go thru the MSF course.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the forum!

-JB

P.S. Don't know if anyone's hit you with this yet, but pics of the scoot are durn near mandatory! C'mon, we wanna see! :)

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
One thing I would suggest as far as accessories that you might want to add now is an engine guard and I say that mainly to protect your investment. Statistically a goodly number of folks drop their bikes in the first year of ownership and you'd be suprised at the amount of damage you can do to a bike just having it dropped while sitting still.

Engine guards will help protect the fenders, tank and bars which are the items that typically get dented and scratched in a drop. It may also help protect the exhaust. Considering the sweet deal you got on the bike, if you keep it nice, you might sell it for more than you've got invested.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Trueseaker said:
delserpio said:
(!4,000 miles, $1500).
Heck yeah you got a good deal, new you'd have spent 6-7k and used is usually between 2-3k. You can keep it 4 or 5 years and sell it for what you paid.
I don't think any one is spending that much new on a bike that lists for $5500, and shops here are knocking $1000 off of that. But you're right on what used are going for

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
If it's in even "fair" shape... you got a good deal.

Take the MSF, ride it for a year, and then when you want to trade up to a bigger bike, sell it to me.

(And I know how much you paid, so you can't rip me off! :D :wink: )

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
With all the great folks on this site, as you hopefully have gathered by now, you will not want for anything knowledge wise. :!:

So what can Dragoon offer to the thread, nothing but a great welcome to our wonderful words of shadowheads. :lol:

Enjoy, I look forward to the pics and some progress reports. Please be safe, you can wait a few years before trying the wheelie stuff :lol:

Cheers
Paul :wink:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts