Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all -- new member here. Just picked up a 2003 Honda Shadow VT600CD VLX for my wife (and 'me' ... Shhh.... she doesn't have to know :D )

I am wanting to change the spark plugs, oil, oil filter, and air filter. I have all the parts, etc., but am having a tough job with some of it.

Oil Change -- Man ... it took me forever to find the drain plug!! I'm up on 2x6's front, back, and kickstand, and laying down still had trouble seeing up and under the engine to find it. Uggh. But, just did find it.

My biggest issue, though, is changing the spark plugs. I changed two of them using a standard 18mm deep well spark plug socket ... it was tight, but it worked. The other two, however, are WAY down inside the cylinder head and my socket nor two others I've purchased from searching these forums (one from Rural King and the other from Sears - Craftsman) was able to get in the cylinder head far enough to reach the plug. And, of course, no OEM toolkit was included w/ the bike.

Thougths? Ideas? I know I can take to my local dealer, but with something this simple, I'd rather do it myself. I google searched and also searched on Amazon to no avail for a special skinny/narrow spark plug tool.

Any help is appreciated more than you know.

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Get this OEM tool. If anybody tells you otherwise, poke their eyes out with your two fingers. Through the monitor screen, of course. It'll appear to made out of stamped metal, but it does the job just fine, especially for the extra deep Front-Left sparkplug. It's available on Ebay for cheap.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
And, of course, no OEM toolkit was included w/ the bike.

you too?..i bought mine used,no tool kit,a buddy bought his 750 used,no tool kit...does honda even put a tool kit on their bikes anymore?.i know when i bought my brandnew 94 vlx it came with one...i know its possible the previous owner couldve taken it out and kept them,or possibly honda didnt put one on when bought new.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get this OEM tool. If anybody tells you otherwise, poke their eyes out with your two fingers. Through the monitor screen, of course. It'll appear to made out of stamped metal, but it does the job just fine, especially for the extra deep Front-Left sparkplug. It's available on Ebay for cheap.

Hey RonW ... thanks a TON! That's exactly what I'm needing. I searched ebay and found several "Honda Spark Plug Tools" ...but not sure which one will work in my situation. I tired adding "motorcycle", "18" (for mm), and "Shadow" to the search and it came up with nothing.

Do you have a part number of some other identification to help me narrow it down?

Thanks again! I was beginning to pull my hair out!

Oh, I wonder if I can simply buy a new OEM toolkit that works w/ my Shadow? HHHhhhmmmm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Craig,

Your bike is a mirror image of mine as well! I have the stock pipes and I would imagine I have the standard jets, but otherwise, it looks the same.

Yes, what's up w/ the toolkits these days?! When I sold my 2003 Honda VFR ... I included my OEM toolkit, service manual, and all kinds of goodies including all the stock items I replaced w/ aftermarket. It was a steal! lol

Ever thought about simply picking up a OEM toolkit to go with it? Not sure where I'd put it unless I picked up a fork/windshield bag (and a windshield to go with it).

Changed your own spark plugs?? :D

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
Either the workers at the dealership stole it with the rest of the OEM tools. Or, the workers included it with the bike and the PO didn't pass it on. Or, the dealership put the tool pouch in the tool compartment behind the left-side cover with no tools in it.

·
Registered
3,469 Posts
Hey Craig,

Your bike is a mirror image of mine as well! I have the stock pipes and I would imagine I have the standard jets, but otherwise, it looks the same.

Yes, what's up w/ the toolkits these days?! When I sold my 2003 Honda VFR ... I included my OEM toolkit, service manual, and all kinds of goodies including all the stock items I replaced w/ aftermarket. It was a steal! lol

Ever thought about simply picking up a OEM toolkit to go with it? Not sure where I'd put it unless I picked up a fork/windshield bag (and a windshield to go with it).

Changed your own spark plugs?? :D
in my signature is a link to a vid of mine idlin,:mrgreen:
as far as where youd put the oem tool kit,inside the (sittin on bike)left side cover is a place where it shouldve been.but yea itd been really nice to have the oem toolkit as it has everything included to do small fixes on your bike..i had to go buy a tork bit to take my front wheel axle out to get a new tire on..yea it was only 8$ but it wouldnt have cost me that if id had the oem toolkit..the previous owner is a boyfriend/fiance of my wifes cousin and he said he didnt know there was supposed to be a toolkit with the bike,and he said he didnt take it.i believe him..id say either the dealership took it when they were fixin the bike,or the 1st owner took it...nope havent changed sparkplugs yet,,but then again,i didnt on my last bike either,it was a brandnew 1994 vlx 600,pic is in my photo album,i rode it everyday rain/shine,cold or hot to work and on weekends had it for about 16mos and put right at 10k miles on it,never changed the plugs as it ran great..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You guys ROCK! I've never owned a cruiser ... only dirt bikes and sport-tourers (VFR and FJR's) so my toolkits have never been under a side cover

GUESS WHAT?! Yep ... I have a OEM toolkit! Woohoo! I'm going to be able to change my spark plugs a bit more quickly now.

Feel kinda like a dope ... but, again, never expected a toolkit anywhere other than below the seat pan. LOL

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spark plugs are changed! woohoo! The front left one was a bit tight I must admit. But, with a little patience (about all I had) was all it took. That OEM sparkplug tool is an absolute MUST with these bikes! Wow.

Thanks again for the heads up as to where the oem toolkit is stored on the Shadow! :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Your next maintenance success........(drum roll).....setting the valves thru the cover ports. (applause). PM me for tool tips.
Oh Dave ... oh how ye have SO much faith in a man who has NO real mechanical know-how and experience when it comes to anything outside of the standard spark plug, oil change, air filter, removing wheels, and anything similar! LOL I'm not saying I wouldn't mind "attempting" it ... but I've never been much of a gear head.

Although, I really surprised myself back in 2004 when I changed the jets on the carb of my new Honda CRF230. I had everything laid out on towels in specific places and took digital photos as I took each thing apart so I would have some CLUE as to how to put it back together. I may have simply gotten VERY luck on that one. LOL

Anyway ... hopefully it'll run fine and won't need the valves set for a bit. :D

When it is that time, I'll definitely take you up on your offer!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.