Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HOLLY, Mich. -- Michigan State Police said a woman has died after being thrown from a motorcycle her husband was driving.Police said Ellen Fuson and her husband, Jackie Fuson, were riding Sunday on South Holly Road near Begola Lane when the motorcycle crossed the center lane and collided with a Ford pickup truck. Police said Ellen Fuson was thrown from the motorcycle and hit by a Ford Econoline van.The couple was taken to the University of Michigan Hospital in Ann Arbor, where Ellen was pronounced dead. Jackie Fuson is in critical condition.Police said alcohol does not appear to be a factor in the crash.

Verifying my belief that most motorcycle accidents are caused by the rider or are avoidable by the rider...

·
Registered
776 Posts
I wish they would have stated whether or not speed was a factor. There is a remote possibility that the driver of the bike had an emergency (stroke, heart attack, etc.) but more likely he was either distracted or could not control the bike due to speed. For sure, he crossed into oncoming traffic. It is sad.

·
Registered
228 Posts
ya gotta ride for every other vehicle out there-it is active, not passive, transportation

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
:shock: She was probably "whacking" him on the back of the helmet telling him she had to pee! :shock:

·
Registered
131 Posts
A factor in these types of accidents is target fixation. The motorcycle goes where you are looking. If you look at an oncoming vehicle, you can actually drive right into it.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I agree with target fixation being a real issue in a lot of these crashes. It sucks that the target you get fixated on is never a nice flat, grassy field, it's a huge truck, a gaudrail, a tree, or a rock wall.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
I'm not coming to any conclusion. Just feeling bad for the family, and perhaps the driver of that truck.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Very sad. I'm sure that their family would find little satisfaction in knowing whether or not it could have been avoided.

·
Registered
5,811 Posts
I am familiar with the road where this happened.
There is a pair of curves in the road right there and I would bet they ran wide on one of them. Speed limit there is 35 or 40 mph as it goes from country to residential.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
I feel sad for the people involved... things like this are never pretty, no matter who or what the blame is.

Got my first taste of "target fixation" on my recent 800 mile trip... didn't like it at all. Made me realize just how important it is to not be distracted, and how easy it is to just pull over and regroup, get my head back together again. I had no real idea of just how powerful that fixation is... I literally couldn't "push my handlebar in the direction I wanted to go." Totally a mental thing, but very powerful. Luckily nothing bad happened other than to my ego (a group of other bikers observed my fubar), and y'know what? Doesn't matter how much experience ya have, it can happen if you're not 100% in the game 100% of the time.

·
Registered
11,212 Posts
Maybe let his guard down for a split second. Sad indeed.

This is what worries me the most when I take my daughter or wife.
I make sure I'm totally 'there' when we hop on the bike.
We've been doing real 2 up riding together for about a year and once already we have geared up, took off, went a few miles and stopped. Told my wife I wasn't feeling up to riding and we went home. She kind of gets it now; why I turned back, what I felt like. Funny thing is I can't describe it, it's just an uncomfortable feeling of some sort. Have done the same thing on solo rides....gas up for a ride, then decide to head home.

Maybe this gentleman had that feeling and ignored it?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Sad story, indeed. No conclusions or speculations on my part. Just sorry to hear that it happened.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
First let me say I feel real sorrow for this families tragedy.

I'm assuming as it's the law in Michigan they were wearing helmets. It's always funny to see how the helmet is the main focal point when they die without wearing one but not even a mention when they are. Whos agenda are the reporters following here.

·
Registered
145 Posts
From what it sounds like in this particular accident the presence (or lack thereof) of helmets wouldn't have made much of a difference. Getting thrown from the bike and then hit by an Econoline? Definitely a very big ouch factor there, and I don't think even the best helmet in the world would have saved her, it was probably severe trauma to her body that killed her. Still, you are right that it is interesting how the media skews the viewpoint towards those who die without helmets.

That being said I also feel bad for the family. A very tragic accident. Seems like there has been quite a few of those posted on this board of late.

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Could have been anything.
I have found myself drifting out of my lane in a curve by simply not paying attention.
Riding a bike requires a higher level of awareness.
Dan

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.