Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning to ride all of the West coast this fall and looking to make a few improvements for my Ace 750. One of the improvements im looking into is an exhaust mod or getting an aftermarket exhuast. Love the idea of saving money with a modification but would like to lean on some insight here. I just cleaned the carbs and don't plan to rejet so would like to avoid any of that for the next few years. What are the best exhaust aftermarket options or modifications ? My goal is more sound for safety and maintain a clean and classic aesthetic nothing too fancy

Im also looking to add some highway bars and pegs, and potentially adjust the foot controls. Ive added a windshield but I dont love the style. I'll post some photos of progress, when I make some :)
Anyone have some favorite ace 750 Mods for longer rides they love?

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
5,849 Posts
Welcome, most who mod their existing exhaust end up being disappointed, I'm sure if you list your year and model of your 750 you'll get some suggestions.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,666 Posts
Based on my experience aftermarket pipes will add very, very little or no power to a 750 ACE unless accompanied by other mods.
Around here a good stock 750 ACE exhaust is typically worth $150 to $200 used, a punched one worth <$50.
Punching a stock exhaust will make it louder, sound worse and may lose you a bit of power.

My advice is to buy a decent compact air horn and relay, loud when you want it and leave the well engineered stock exhaust system alone.

I miss my stock pipes, my bike is pretty loud and sometimes I think it saves me from using my horn.
All 750 ACE exhaust are the same for 1997/8 to 2003.

Important stuff other than the obvious bike maintenance.
Comfort is #1
Handlebars you like for extended use.
A comfy seat.
Decent saddle bags.
Rain suit, they can be cheap insurance, if you have one you won't need one.
AAA coverage that includes the bike.
Cell phone.
Money, plastic and paper.

A crampbuster plastic throttle assist thing.
Mine is clipped to a handlebar riser, when my wrist has had enough it is the greatest thing.

I'm not a windshield fan, I have a Memphis fats, I put it on the bike for long fast rides, crazy bug days and bad weather or dust.
I could have used it today on an impromptu one tank ride, I ended up under the only pitch black cloud for miles around of blue skies, must have come off the lake, even small hail bites at speed.

I can't like forward controls as I like to move around a bit on the bike and don't like to get stuck in a La-Z-Boy over railway tracks or bumps.
I have highway bars, they will save the bike from damage if it falls over, many are not compatible with control extensions on the ACE so check it out of you go that way.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I had the forward control extensions on, after the 1st week of a 12 day trip, I was ready to throw them away. Took them off when I got back. They are not bad around town or for a weekend trip. Had them on for probably 8 years. Would probably be ok if you have a 33"+ inseam. When they were on, I added 3/4" spacers and longer bolts to the peg mounts to space them out. Helps with not having to bend your knee around the air cleaner.

An engine guard gives you an easy place to add deflectors to help with the windshield turbulence. also handy for highway pegs.

Reactions: CSRoad

·
Registered
496 Posts
The ace is a very capable machine.

Exhaust - if you punch it you will need to back out the AF screw or you'll get popping. I've tried a bunch of different exhaust ideas.. I bought 4 stock systems over the years and tried punching it, I partially gutted one, I chopped one and put 28" x 2" straight pipes (I like this one), finally I chopped the muffler off, welded the glass packs back onto the header pipes and wrapped it with a 3.25" x 28" exhaust pipe, wide open. The glass pack takes the harsh pow out if the exhaust note. This one sounds deep and rumbles nice, but at speed (110km/h) it's a smooth sounding rumble, took a 3 hour ride with my wife and we both agreed it has a smooth sound. Stopping I had a few people ask me about it, it sounds like it should be a bigger bike.

Carbs and intake - I gutted my air box, pulled the snorkel, cut out the extra material and removed the wind blockers. I am also now running 134/138 Jets with an UNI foam filter. I get power and pull in all gears. Only time I feel it's lacking is 2 up in 5th when I try to overtake or climb any incline, dropping to 4th solves that.

Drive - I dropped to a 38t rear sprocket. I hated the drone on the highway, but I think maybe I want to go back to stock sprockets. Not sure on this yet.

Comfort - Save your money up, put a mustang seat and get progressives shocks front and rears, your ass, spine and kidneys will thank you! I swapped the bars for some Chump mini apes, love em, love the level arm placement, less wrist fatigue. I put on some 8" forwards, the bolt on ebay type. I did this in 2008 and I've been happy with em ever since. I modified my pegs to have a barbed portion that grips the sole on my boots better so I can let them hang instead of fight to stay on the peg.

Storage - I felt the bike needs bags, I put decent sized hard bags on it. I love em and will never not have em. They lock and can hold a lot! I also have a luggage rack on my sissy bad for our large pack when we take weekend rides.

I bought mine in 2003, brand new and I've been riding it for 17 years. It's just as fun to ride now as it was back then. Increasing the Jets and opening up the air flow has help the feel and response of the bike, it took me 15 years to finally decide on the suspension and seats, next bike gets a mustang if the seat isn't premium.

I have a pic of the finished bike in my SIG . You will see that the exhaust is still stock in appearance. I like the big can look, didn't like the gentle whistle. I punched it back in 2008 and ran like that for 8 years. Right now I have the gutted exhaust ( on the bike), the straight pipe exhaust and one fully stock untouched set, the 4th one was just destroyed over time.

Reactions: CSRoad and Froth
1 - 5 of 5 Posts