Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone I am new here to the forum and I would like to say hello from south Texas. I need a little help if anyone doesnt mind. I was changing my plugs yesterday in my 02 Ace 750 when then 12 point socket I was using slipped down into the cylinder housing and now I cant get it out . Its coming up to the very top of valve cover and the very outer lip of the socket is catching there . I work at a Honda car dealership and me and 3 of the techs that work there spent an hour trying to get it out to no avail. It looks like the only resolution is to pull the valve cover and its just going to slide right out . But Ive never tackled doing that before. I was just wondering if someone can give me some pointers about doing this. It looks like the tank will have to be pulled among other things. And its such a pretty weekend here ! Nooo!!! I thank you for any recommendations or help you can give me . Ride safe everyone!

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Btw, which torpedo tube? And yes, it does make a difference. The LEFT-FRONT spark plug has an extra deep recess on my Shadow 600. Would you be able to take a cellphone photo and post it. Meanwhile, and before some bad influences chime in, the OEM wrench is about the only spark plug tool that's thin walled enough ($19.99) to spare you the grief. In the future. Yes, either the 12-point or the 6-point regular socket was suppose to be thin walled enough, but than, it's not long enough. But no, I can't offer you a solution to your question.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks . Its the Rt rr tube. If I cant get it out this weekend I will post up a pic

·
Registered
666 Posts
Turn the bike upside down and shake, just kidding, I'm with rk get one of those small round magnetic swivel head telescoping retrieval tools, might work out.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah we tried the magnet deal . when it lifts up and right when its fixing to come out , the top edge of the socket is catching on the valve cover and we cant get it. its so close to coming out its ridicoulous

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I use this at work for similar things, A nateral earth magnet will hold it much better, real strong pull and even will attract carbide, (Carbide doesn't stick to most magnets) so if you have the socket stuck to one of those, you'll really have to pull to get it off.

Dauntae

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
WOOT! I got it today! I feel kinda foolish actually after all the worry and fuss . I decided to loosen the valve cover bolts on each side and I gently lifted the cover and the freakin thing came right out. WHEW! Thanks everyone for all of their suggestions . I appreciate the help !

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Now I gotta check if my tool kit is complete LOL have some iridium plugs to put it, At least the Suzuki kit is all there so if mine is missing I can hopefully use that one.

Dauntae

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a 01' SS750. Whenever I have that problem, I always stick the plug wire back down in there and get it to snap to the plug. Usually this will work, you may have to twist and tinker with it a bit though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts