Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2003 ACE 750CD, 1998 ACE Tourer
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. What are you opinions on oil for high mileage shadows. My new acquisition has 95,000km (60,000) in it. Hydraulic lifters. Supposedly been on Lucas semi synthetic generally since at lease the last owner got it around 50,000 km. Also learned that the last change likely was 12,000 km ago. It’s pretty dark.

I presume the standard recommended weight is 10w40. Trying to recall. I may Have added about a 1/4 or 1/3 of a quart to top it up. Including a shot of MMO. Doesn’t seem like it burned or lost much but I dont know.

Given that, will I be doing it good to start using 10w50? Might as well ask should I stick to semi? will moving up to full amsoil synthetic increase chances the engine might spring leaks?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hi all. What are you opinions on oil for high mileage shadows. My new acquisition has 95,000km (60,000) in it. Hydraulic lifters. Supposedly been on Lucas semi synthetic generally since at lease the last owner got it around 50,000 km. Also learned that the last change likely was 12,000 km ago. It’s pretty dark.

I presume the standard recommended weight is 10w40. Trying to recall. I may Have added about a 1/4 or 1/3 of a quart to top it up. Including a shot of MMO. Doesn’t seem like it burned or lost much but I dont know.

Given that, will I be doing it good to start using 10w50? Might as well ask should I stick to semi? will moving up to full amsoil synthetic increase chances the engine might spring leaks?
That is not high mileage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,258 Posts
My recommendations:

1. I don't consider 95K high mileage but if i did I would still stick with 10W40
2. I don't use oil additives.
3. I used synth when on a long trip would have exceeded the recommended oil change interval. Otherwise I dont require it. The one characteristic of synth that I like is the possibility of extending the oil change interval. However I am typically storing bikes for 6-8 months and change oil yearly rather than based on mileage.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,657 Posts
In your region 10w40 is the recommendation or even 10w30 if you are that "hardy". Heavier oil is harder to flow thus if you lived Arizona in the summer, I'd say 15w50 could be an option.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok Thanks. great to know it’s not high mileage. I was thinking rings gap may be getting bigger or something. I’m gonna stick with semi synth. But I can’t find the Lucas. I bought the Maxima semi and a genuine Honda oil filter.
On a mild tangent, this machine needs a clearly firmer tap to go from 1st to 2nd than my 750cd. Is that natural or is trouble brewing?

Amsoil always tests so much better in all characteristics in every article I’ve found. I was thinking people would say the anti wear out weighs Any increased risk of leaks using synthetic. Thanks.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
In your region 10w40 is the recommendation or even 10w30 if you are that "hardy". Heavier oil is harder to flow thus if you lived Arizona in the summer, I'd say 15w50 could be an option.
Always said I’m tough but not hardy. And an excited new rider that got in near the end of the season. So very motivated to ride until the end!

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,140 Posts
Whatever oil you use make sure its JASO rated for wet clutches. I use Rotella T-6 /15-40 in all our bikes. My riding weather goes from the teens Fahrenheit to 100 +.

Reactions: Krash

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Whatever oil you use make sure its JASO rated for wet clutches. I use Rotella T-6 /15-40 in all our bikes. My riding weather goes from the teens Fahrenheit to 100 +.
^^^Agreed^^^

But I use T4,,,for what it’s worth.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yes, I read a lot of positive older posts on the T4/T6. So I put T4 into my Honda vt750cd when I first got it in the heat of the summer. The plan was to put something affordable for a short time at the end of the season to clean out any gunk. Only 12,000km on it, but PO had a very poor care regimen. Anyway, I noticed hard starts and pinging in the am and the weather was still in the 70s/80s. I switched out the T4 after only about 1500km of serious joy riding and learning. Put in Honda GN4. Starts were fine next day onwards, pinging was there but disappeared very quickly after starting. I also noticed clutch engagement was earlier, noticeably more sure, and very linear. Wear wise it might be better than GN4, but I've got some Amsoil I'm betting is going to be the cats meow for that one.

There haven't been very many opinions since the T4 formulation change as there were prior when it was a no doubter. I think people started to shy away due to those doubts or experiences like mine. I might try T4 again in my Tourer next year mid summer for a short bit and see how it likes it. Or maybe even T6 today for a gunk out. And I will be sure to post if I do. The shadow world needs more qualitative data on the new formulations. Give it a shot people and let us all know. Especially those who can ride year around, we need reading material. Oil threads are the best!

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’m in SouthEast Louisiana & run 10w40 year round (90% of the bikes life I’ve used Valvoline 4-Stroke conventional MC oil, currently using Supertech 10w40 full synthetic MC oil because it was only $5.09 @ the time & they did not have Valvoline on the shelf ) the 03 750 ACE does not have hydraulic lifters. 60k is not a lot of miles if the bike has been maintained & not abused, my bike is nearing 102k miles & still runs mint.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m in South East Louisiana & run 10w40 year round, the 03 750 ACE does not have hydraulic lifters. 60k is not a lot of miles if the bike has been maintained & not abused, my bike is nearing 102k miles & still runs mint
Thanks. I have two bikes and ACE 750cd and 1100T. Referring to the big one on these posts lately. Ya, Louisiana has the weather. And culture. And music. And pretty women. And amazing food. Wait this it about oil. Do they have good oil down there lol?

Speaking of running mint, that's the eventual goal of course if possible. I'll be doing a simple compression test as soon as possible. I want to know how much internal wear this has on it before I throw parts, time and money at it. I'm starting another post about engine noise now. Anyone with a vt1100, esp twin pin please check it out. Talk soon my two wheeled peeps!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Ok Thanks. great to know it’s not high mileage. I was thinking rings gap may be getting bigger or something. I’m gonna stick with semi synth. But I can’t find the Lucas. I bought the Maxima semi and a genuine Honda oil filter.
On a mild tangent, this machine needs a clearly firmer tap to go from 1st to 2nd than my 750cd. Is that natural or is trouble brewing?

Amsoil always tests so much better in all characteristics in every article I’ve found. I was thinking people would say the anti wear out weighs Any increased risk of leaks using synthetic. Thanks.
Having been an Amsoil dealer since 1978, I'd agree with that last statement. except for the leak part. I look at Amsoil as cheap motor insurance...

Shifting,,, there's a technique I use, I "preload" the shifter with my toe, just enough pressure to take the slack out, then hit the clutch lever and shift. Had to do my Nomad that way too. Also works on downshifts. it'll be automatic after a week or so.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Having been an Amsoil dealer since 1978, I'd agree with that last statement. except for the leak part. I look at Amsoil as cheap motor insurance...

Shifting,,, there's a technique I use, I "preload" the shifter with my toe, just enough pressure to take the slack out, then hit the clutch lever and shift. Had to do my Nomad that way too. Also works on downshifts. it'll be automatic after a week or so.
Hey I heard of that then totally forgot about it. My tourer came with cobra floor boards and a heel toe shifter. Im just getting used to it. There was so much learning curve in the first few months with my kittke ACE. With this bigger bike I feel like I was almost starting over again. Running it around the neighborhood within battery only distance really helped.

Anyway the PO oil was so dark I couldn’t bear to put the Maxima in. I put that Castro’s Go 4t in just now. I guess won’t run it more than say 500 miles before I change it again. Some 10 year old reviews were pretty bad. I’ll Just get the sludge out. Anyone have better experience with this stuff recently? It must be better by now no?

anyone tried running the new formula Rotellas lately? I’m considering T6 for some pre winter driving, storage and early spring riding. Save the Maxima for late spring. I love experimenting with oil. Weird hobby within a hobby.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
Just make sure whatever you use has the MA and/or MA2 rating for wet clutches.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,657 Posts
Ok Thanks. great to know it’s not high mileage. I was thinking rings gap may be getting bigger or something. I’m gonna stick with semi synth. But I can’t find the Lucas.
I've never seen semi synthetic MC oil in my years of riding. Like Oldguy mentioned just make sure whatever you use has the MA and/or MA2 JASO rating for wet clutches.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a 99 VT750CD (or is it DC?) and shifting 1 to 2 and back is click, click. On the VT1100C2 shifting 1 to 2 and back is clunk, clunk.
Well that makes me feel better about the trans. It’s easy in every other gear. Just have to make sure I make that clunk sound going to second. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I have a 99 VT750CD (or is it DC?) and shifting 1 to 2 and back is click, click. On the VT1100C2 shifting 1 to 2 and back is clunk, clunk.
Try the preload thing, it will practically shift itself soon as you touch the clutch lever.

Reactions: gdb069

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try the preload thing, it will practically shift itself soon as you touch the clutch lever.
I tried it once or twice. It worked so well I hardly noticed I no was doing anything. I’m a little concerned that a mistake could lead to problems but the preload shifting is pretty cool. I’m going to incorporate slowly and see if it becomes natural or I mistrust myself. I beta lot the good smooth riders do it

1 - 20 of 34 Posts