Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys :)

Just brought my battery in for a trickle charge since I haven't been out much over past week and spotted some black "residue" inside the yellow caps. Image below is just to illustrate the yellow acid caps, my battery is a different Yuasa T shaped one.

Just wondering if the black residue I found on the inside of my battery's acid caps (they're hollow in the centre and the black was along the edges deep into the caps) is anything to worry about. It's a new battery since April 2014 and was wondering if the black residue is an indication of some sort of problem, or is it common to have that occur in acid caps...or could it just be dirt.

Any thoughts around this would be appreciated in case I need to check something else out.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,445 Posts
Black rubber orings are usually attached to the caps to seal them and keep them from leaking acid all over your bike.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black rubber orings are usually attached to the caps to seal them and keep them from leaking acid all over your bike.
K cool, once the shops are open I'll go buy some, thanks :)

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I'm gonna say its dirt. under my seat gets pretty nasty if I dont wipe it down when doing the rest of the bike. So I wouldnt be surprised if its just dirt/ road grime sticking to the "new" of the battery.

·
Registered
11,470 Posts
O-rings won't be effected by acid. If acid did eat them, they wouldn't be using them. I wouldn't worry about the residue.

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reassuring replies guys, appreciate them! Being a novie n'all in these things I was thinking maybe something's afoot I needed to pay attention to.

Battery charges just fine from a trickler, a nice healthy 13.6V in the end and everything's all good, just seeing something that looks like "soot" gets the pre alarm alarms ready to go off hehe.

Gona buy some rubbers tomorrow all the same, I'll get some o rings too :p

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
Gona buy some rubbers tomorrow all the same, I'll get some o rings too :p
Don't waste your money as there's nothing to worry about unless the o-rings are split.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts