Honda Shadow Forums banner

Adding a tach to a VLX

7K views 23 replies 7 participants last post by  99customvlx 
#1 ·
Thinking about adding one of these Cobra tachs. Looking for anyone who has one of these, and what you think about it. I'm assuming it can be mounted on either side since the mount just replaces one of the handlebar clamps.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Those can be mounted on either side (horizontal part of bars).

I would think that any electronic Tach made for non-fuel injected bikes would
work with your Bike. If they say it works on a honda motorcycle thats not fuel injected, it should work on your bike.

A lot of sellers use the old photo of the cobra tach (offset mount) when they are actually selling the newer model that mounts straight up and down as opposed to your "offset" tach pic.
Make sure you get the Tachometer model number being sold and compare it
to that same model tachometer on the Cobra website to see what you would
actually be getting. They should both work, they just look different when mounted.

I would look at this Tachometer (below), I would probably have it myself if it worked with fuel injected bikes ignition system (EFI =single fire).
Your VLX has a Dual fire ignition (common on non EFI bikes)

I recommend you get this one (below), i think you will be happy with it.

Chrome Mini Tach Tachometer for Honda with Clamp VTwin | eBay

#4 ·
Those can be mounted on either side (horizontal part of bars).

I would think that any electronic Tach made for non-fuel injected bikes would
work with your Bike. If they say it works on a honda motorcycle thats not fuel injected, it should work on your bike.

A lot of sellers use the old photo of the cobra tach (offset mount) when they are actually selling the newer model that mounts straight up and down as opposed to your "offset" tach pic.
Make sure you get the Tachometer model number being sold and compare it
to that same model tachometer on the Cobra website to see what you would
actually be getting. They should both work, they just look different when mounted.

I would look at this Tachometer (below), I would probably have it myself if it worked with fuel injected bikes ignition system (EFI =single fire).
Your VLX has a Dual fire ignition (common on non EFI bikes)

I recommend you get this one (below), i think you will be happy with it.

Chrome Mini Tach Tachometer for Honda with Clamp VTwin | eBay
Now I am confused... I've been told the VLX is a dual coil SINGLE fire ignition, that it doesn't fire both coils at the same time. each coil fires two spark plugs but they are on the same cylinder

This model Cobra tach #01-1636 is for among others an '06 750 Spirit. I've been told the 750 has the same dual coil single fire ignition on it like a VLX.

I've checked with Cobra's website, and others and the 01-1636 is the angle mounted tach. I've also checked OEM part numbers and both these bikes use the same upper handlebar clamp. Wire colors look to be the same inside the headlight bucket and at the front coil.

I have the tach you posted a link to on the Rebel, works great. I'm just looking for a smaller tach, and a little classier look with the Cobra.

#8 ·
For the tach itself, I can tell you this much: it's expensive for what it is. Cobra & Kuryakyn do make nice parts, but you pay a premium price. If the price doesn't bother you, go for it. If price is a concern...and it was for me, especially once I saw the product...either find an inexpensive tach or go without.

I would HIGHLY recommend finding one in a store and looking at it, holding it, inspecting it firsthand. THEN decide how much you want it.

#13 ·
My 'problem' was solved today. I called the Honda dealer's service department and he stated that both the '06 VLX and '06 750 Spirit run dual coil single fire ignition systems. He was familiar with the Cobra tach and said it will work fine on a VLX.

Now that I'm sure, I'll need to save up a few more dollars and voila... I'll know what rpms I'm running.

#17 ·
Just got a small tach for my 99 vlx. Anyone know where I would find the coil wire for the signal? I've looked around the Web a bit but not much luck. I would just go find it on the bike but it's too damn cold right now and the garage has no heat, soooooo...

#23 · (Edited)
Coils are under the gas tank I believe. Your best bet for now and for future work is to get yourself a repair manual for your VLX. There might be a free download link for your bike in the tech forum as a sticky.

#19 ·
Bob, I'm lead to believe that apparently most of the cheaper tachs are dual fire models. I mounted one of those ebay tachs on the Rebel and it works perfectly. I would have more seriously considered one of them for the VLX except it has a satin finished housing/bezel and I wanted more chrome!:mrgreen:

I'm in your shoes now, I know nothing about an 2011 Aero so I'm guessing. Do you have two coils? Do you have two plugs per cylinder? If you have two coils is one plug wire going from each coil going to the front cylinder and one to the rear? If that's the case it seems you would have to have a dual coil dual fire ignition. If yours is like mine where each coil has two plug wires going to the same cylinder seems you would have to have dual coil single fire.

Honda in all their wisdom hasn't gone to a single coil design to cut costs on the newer bikes have they? You don't have one coil with four plug wires do you?

Sorry for all the questions, I'm just grasping at straws here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.