Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a honda shadow phantom and I am interested in adding an additional brake light or license illuminator. I recently took the stock taillight system apart and left the stock brake light and turn signals but removed that bulky housing. I mounted my license under the brake light, but would like to mount the license on the left side on the rear axle. However if I just throw it on a mount it will not be illuminated so I would need to add a brake light or illuminator in order for it to be legal.

Any suggestions or ideas?

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
A lot of guys do that on their bobbers.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A lot of guys do that on their bobbers.
Yeah I have figure out how to do it if you wire your brake light straight to the side mount, but I am trying to wire an additional light and leave the brake light where it is. Thanks!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Here's a suggestion - if you're just wanting a plate light, all you would need to do is tap into a 12v source somewhere along the stock plate light wire and branch it off to the new mount. You could either use a T splice to do it and retain the original plate light too, or just cut the wire ahead of the bulb and run a new one to the new mount.

If you're wanting to run a second brake/plate light, you'd have to splice a T into the existing brake wire and then do one of the above to route power to the new plate light.

Just my opinion, but I think it would look mighty lopsided if you had one center brake light and then one off to the side, but not another on the alternate side. I'd go with either a) keeping the center brake and moving the lamp light to the side or b) completely moving the brake and lamp to the side and doing away with the center all together.

Just google "bobber brake light" and you'll be flooded with photos and ideas.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
Relocating anything from the stock position to a side mount location exposes the said item to lots mishaps etc. I done a Back Off to my brake light as the only modification to rear lighting and works really well to warn my fellow traveler's behind me. Like my Fat Lady centered so to speak. A cool looking vintage tail light on the fender would look really but...

·
Registered
280 Posts
Relocating anything from the stock position to a side mount location exposes the said item to lots mishaps etc. I done a Back Off to my brake light as the only modification to rear lighting and works really well to warn my fellow traveler's behind me. Like my Fat Lady centered so to speak. A cool looking vintage tail light on the fender would look really but...
Good point, I guess that's why the newer Harley's with the side mounted license have a foldable mount now like your side mirrors on a car - no chance to pop it off. Now if you did a vertical one instead of a horizontal mount, that would greatly reduce your exposure to catching it on the odd cactus or tumbleweed.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts