Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride a 2002 Honda Shadow 750 and I am wanting to place LED's on the body to shine down on the Chrome. My brother in law says to run the power off for the rear break lights.. I don't even know what the power wire color is on my bike. I have searched for wiring diagrams for weeks. I NEED HELP >>> ANYONE!!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Probably the easiest way to find the color of the wire to tap into is to pull the lighting fixture you are wanting to run your power from. (brake light, speedometer light, etc.)

If you run the power from your brake light then the LED's will only work when you apply your brakes. If you want them on whenever your bike is on then you should probably run the power from your speedometer light or you front running lights. (LED's don't use much power so either should be OK)

You could also run a lead straight from your battery to the LED's but then you would need to put a switch in so they could be shut off. If you do this then you could leave the LED's on while parked for shows & such. Once again, LED's don't use much power at all so this wouldn't put too much drain on your battery to be worried about.

Good luck & have fun!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the information.. Does anyone have a wiring diagram for my 2002 honda shadow 750 ?

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Just out of curiosity, are you running LEDs that are made for automotive accent, or are we talking about LEDs that you bought in bulk and just look like a lump of epoxy with two stiff wires running out the bottom? If you're using automotive-specific LEDs, the above advice is good. If you're using "stock" LEDs, then you have to add a resistor in series to prevent the LEDs from overheating and burning up. The math isn't hard to figure out what value resistor to use, but I won't waste your time describing how to calculate it if you're not going to need that info!

Also, you can run your LEDs from the brake light circuit without a worry. Just wire them up to the "running filament" circuit and not the filament circuit that comes on only when the brakes are applied. Brake light bulbs have two filaments: one that's always on, and one that only lights when you hit the brakes.

--Justin

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Actually I'd run them str8 off the battery with a seperate fuse and relay to some light like the running light.

That way you won't have to worry about overloading an existing circut, (or the notoriously under designed switch), with extra draw.

Look at the better web sites for LED's for bikes like Signal Dynamics, Electrical Connections, etc. They have lights for bikes and diagrams to boot.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Led power draw is so low I doubt you would ever have switch problems.

That being said I have a 6 light set from Kuraykin on my bike straight to the battery so I can leave them on when parked if i desire with out the key being on or any other lights, I hve left this set on for 4 hours + and never had a problem. Just make sure when your run the wires you take your time and keep them out of the way of cables exhaust and such.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts