Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone gone over 15000 miles on an aero without adjusting their valves. How did that work out. Thanks.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I'm sure there is someone who probably has. I check the clearances on mine every 8,000-10,000 miles, and FWIW have only had to make minor adjustments. My Aero currently has close to 40,000 miles on the odometer.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Damn it...something else I have to learn to do. I got 21K on my Shadow 750. I will be Googling this procedure. ;-)

UPDATE: I forgot...my Honda service manual should be here any day now!!! Woo Hooo!

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
I have had to do valves on my '98 ACE about every 7K - way more than I would like. For some reason the exhaust seems to go out of whack sooner. I will be changing the stems next time around on the assumption that the metal is soft allowing them mushroom which creates gap in less time. I have been keeping an eye on deformation at the tip but so far, the jury is out on whether it is really an issue.

The bride's Aero is at 14K and running perfectly with no adjustments to date. Next time the ACE gets done, I'll probably do hers too. Although pretty proficient at doing them, it is still most of a day and a major PITA. Anyone interested in my shortcuts can send a PM.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Damn it...something else I have to learn to do. I got 21K on my Shadow 750. I will be Googling this procedure. ;-)

UPDATE: I forgot...my Honda service manual should be here any day now!!! Woo Hooo!
The Honda manual gives very clear and concise instructions on how to adjust valve clearances. Just take your time, especially if its your first attempt. The biggest problem I had the first time was figuring out how to maneuver the head and valve covers for removal after unbolting because of limited space.
Also, it really helps to have a set of torx drivers (I use a set that can be used with a 3/8'' drive ratchet, metric sockets, and a set of "L" shaped allen wrenches. There is one allen screw on the front cylinder head cover that is tough to get to without using the "L" shaped wrench.
I should also add that while you have the bike torn down to adjust the valves, its a great time to change the sparkplugs since they are now so accessible.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Thanks for the tool tips. I changed my plugs about two months back, so they should be fine. Once my book arrives, I will have to build up the nerve to tear my bike apart. The most I've had it apart right now is the headlight cover off, and the seats off! LOL.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Also, it really helps to have a set of torx drivers (I use a set that can be used with a 3/8'' drive ratchet, metric sockets, and a set of "L" shaped allen wrenches.
I just needed to clarify that you don't need torx drivers for this job. What I use is 3/8" drive "allen head" sockets, metric sockets, and "L" shaped allen wrenches. I've been doing a lot of maintenance at work lately using torx drivers, and for some reason I have em on the brain.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I have 20,000 on my spirit and haven't done it yet. Besides mileage, what are the indicators that it needs to be done?
The only noticeable indicators may be the sound of a valve or valves "ticking" because of too much clearance. However, you may not notice anything if the clearances are too tight. That being said, if the valves are too tight, that can lead to them burning, which would obviously point to much more costly repairs down the road.
Checking the valve clearances is strictly preventative maintenance, and there may or may not be an obvious indication of a potential problem. The Honda manual suggests checking them at 600 miles when the bike is new and then every 8,000 miles afterwards. I do mine every 10,000 miles and have only had to make minor adjustments to this point.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a VW bug a couple of years ago, it required valve adjustments every 3000 miles or so, got pretty good at it too. Typically the clearances get tighter, which is caused by the valves sinking into the seats or the stem stretching. If the clearances increase then your cam, rockers or valve tips are wearing. One thing I noticed on my bug was the hotter it got, the tighter the clearances got. In the winter, they didn't move but during the summer I would loose all my clearance in 3000 miles, and these were always exhaust valves - intakes never moved in over 70,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
I had a VW bug a couple of years ago, it required valve adjustments every 3000 miles or so, got pretty good at it too. Typically the clearances get tighter, which is caused by the valves sinking into the seats or the stem stretching. If the clearances increase then your cam, rockers or valve tips are wearing. One thing I noticed on my bug was the hotter it got, the tighter the clearances got. In the winter, they didn't move but during the summer I would loose all my clearance in 3000 miles, and these were always exhaust valves - intakes never moved in over 70,000 miles.
I work at a honda dealer, with the newer stuff the exhuast valves are always getting tight, valve seats.
the older stuff could go either way, random intake, or exhuast, little tight, little loose.
as a rule of thumb, LOOSE LIVES.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.