Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I feel my clutch is engaging late (lever is 3/4 way released before starting to engage).

A couple of questions

1) How to measure free play(at which end)? Here is my current "free play"

At this end its about 1/4"
Crankset Bicycle tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part

Measuring at the other end its about (gosh, seems like 1")
Font Plant Terrestrial plant Metal Close-up

Ruler Automotive tire Automotive lighting Office ruler Motor vehicle

2) I found this video online/youTube. Is this a good way to do my adjustment?
How to Adjust the Clutch on a Honda Shadow

3) Is there a way that I can easily add a little lubrication? Or must I completely disassemble the cable?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,210 Posts
I always liked a bit extra free play so I knew the clutch was fully engaged.
Yours looks fine from my experience.
If it is slipping adjusted like that the first question is what type of engine oil are you using?

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Update. My clutch handle is almost fully out before it engages. About 3/4 of the way.

Also. I haven't changed oil since acquiring bike 2 weeks ago. On my to do. Oil color is not bad.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, so seems like "free play" is fine

but, should the clutch be engaged when the level is at/almost 3/4 of the way released? If not, then should I adjust via the youTube video method, of adjusting the other end?

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,166 Posts
Ok, so seems like "free play" is fine

but, should the clutch be engaged when the level is at/almost 3/4 of the way released? If not, then should I adjust via the youTube video method, of adjusting the other end?
It is correctly adjusted. When shifting you barely pull the clutch in for full release. As the clutch wears the handle comes in towards the handlebar more resulting in more of a pull to release the clutch.

·
Registered
457 Posts
I feel my clutch is engaging late.
1) How to measure free play(at which end)? Here is my current "free play"

2) I found this video online/youTube. Is this a good way to do my adjustment?

3) Is there a way that I can easily add a little lubrication?
Hey Kezug,

1) Free play is a matter of rider/owner preference. It is that simple. With a cable operated clutch release mechanism such as you have on your bike it is a lot simpler to remedy than on a bike with hydraulic clutch.

I have some friends that could reach down with their fingers spread and pick up a basketball (big hands sons of mothers) off the ground. I cannot do that. My cable actuated clutch lever is adjusted so I feel 'forward movement pressure' when the lever is about 3/4" from the grip. That is where I like it and that is where I run it. No video or forum conversation is necessary to tell me where my 'comfort' zone is.

On the hydraulic clutch bikes that I have owned, I always have to take the clutch lever off, heat it in the oven, and then gently tap to re-shape to get to the desired free play (as it were).

2) Seek out every source of info when it comes to making your bike the most comfortable it can be to you.

3) Run the adjustment knob all the way in at the clutch lever perch. You will certainly have to pull the left side chrome beauty cover off also to get enough adjustment to pull the cable ferrule out of the lever slot. You can add lube at the ferrule end until you see it drip out of the ferrule end by the engine. Then blow through with an air nozzle to remove the excess from the cable.

John

·
Registered
18,100 Posts
Dry Slide is the brand name I prefer to use for lubricating cables, BUT I`ve been using graphite & Houdinie on accountta I ain`t found Dry Slide ...
They make an injector tool for these cables too, BUt I ain`t never bought it,
Dennis

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I get that clutch play is a personal preference. But is clutch engagement a personal preference too?

I am good with it if it is. What I want to be sure is that late clutch engagement is bad and I need to adjust to stave off problems later.

·
Registered
457 Posts
1) But is clutch engagement a personal preference too?

I am good with it if it is. What I want to be sure is that late clutch engagement is bad and I need to adjust to stave off problems later.
I just measured the same distances (as your pic) on my 2001 Sabre.

At the pivot end of the lever I have .235 before the lever takes the slack out of the cable.

At the ball end of the lever the travel is 1 5/16" before the movement takes the slack out of the cable.

During the colder months when I wear my insulated gloves I adjust the ball end of the lever to around 1 1/2 to 1 5/8" .

Late clutch engagement is not bad. I set my lever up (first bend in fingertips reaching the lower front side of the lever) so that my fingertips have full control of the lever. You can set up your lever to whatever suits you best. You don't want the lever to still have tension on it when it is fully released from your grasp, that would be the bad part.

John

1 - 10 of 10 Posts