Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I need to 'richen' up the mixture on my '03 VLX but I cant find the mixture screw(s). I've done this on my bro's 750 ACE but I'm having no luck with mine. Anyone got a picture or diagram or description or advice, or joke, or roast beef sandwich, or anything that would help? Thanks guys (and gals)
Ride on,

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm not 100% sure of the screw's location(it's not in the same location as the 750), but I believe it is under the float bowl. It doesn't have a plug covering the screw either. The screw head is a "D" shape and requires a special driver OR I've heard of people using a .22cal. casing after squeezing a flat on one side.

http://www.dynojet.com/pdf/1197.pdf

On page 2 there is a drawing of the bottom of the carb pointing you to the screw. Hope this helps!

Brian

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
Brian is correct. The Dynojet drawing shows the location of the screw. The bottom of that drawing is the carb outlet where it attaches to the boot going to the cylinders.

If it's never been adjusted, it will be covered with an aluminum plug that needs to be drilled out. Because of the location, it can't be done with the carb on the bike. If you have a small mirror, you may be able to see if the plug is intact or not. I'll try to take and post some pics tonight of the location screw so you can see how limited the access really is.

Honda makes a tool (about $80) to adjust it. It looks like a ratchet with a twist-grip to make the bit turn. I've heard of using a .22 casing, but haven't tried it on the bike.

CB

·
Registered
‘00 Valkyrie Interstate, ‘01 Spirit 1100, 99 VLX
1,341 Posts
Here are some pics to match up with the DynoJet instructions Brian posted:

The view looking up between the jugs:

Closer view in a mirror:

Hope this helps. Note the mixture scew is inside a tube-like housing, not flush with the carb body.

CB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.