Honda Shadow Forums banner

Advice on buying a VT1100 1986 .

1K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  swifty2014 
#1 ·
Hello all. I am Shlomi from Israel, new to this forum. I am about to purchase a 1986 VT1100 and I hope to get some advice here about this model. The bike I plan to buy has 35000 miles. Was imported from the U.S 3 years ago and was used once a week .it looks like it was well taken care of.
I know that this model was running for 2 years before it was replaced by a later model and I am worried about the availability of parts when I need them in the future. You see, here in Israel, there is little to no market for this model and I would have to order all parts online.
I am a capable mechanic and used to work on Ducati and Norton bikes and some Japanese bikes as well. I know that some ignition parts are discontinued for this year model but could be found (sometimes) online used. Anyone knows What other parts are discontinued and hard to find that I can expect to have problems with getting online? Also, what should I look for when I check the bike other then the usual when looking at a 30 years plus bike? Anything specific for this model? Or maybe wait to buy a later model? I will appreciate your advice on this.

#2 ·
Welcome, parts will be hard to come by. The nice thing about the bikes are that if they've been taken care of they will run indefinably. Your biggest problems will be dry rot of hoses and bushings and diaphragms. Also electrical problems like the three yellow wires from the stator to the voltage regulator and any custom wiring that other owners have done.
You can kind of check the availability of OEM parts on a sight like this 1986 Honda VT1100C - SHADOW Parts | OEM Motorcycle Parts | Partzilla.com.

Good luck

#5 ·
If you can ride it and see if it runs very well for 5 or 10 miles. That means all the electrical is doing fine even after it heats up.Those are usually the hard to find parts if they are failing.
And 3rd gear was a problem with some of that age.
Otherwise it may be a good investment if priced low because of being 35 years old.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.