Honda Shadow Forums banner

86 Shadow 1100 for $1700? Or 2003 VTX 1800 basket case for $2600?

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Yea, I have been looking at the F6Bs and the Valks, but the valks around me all seem to be super high mileage, which is a good sign of how good they are I suppose, and newer F6B is a bit out of my price range.

I am actually waiting for someone to come look at my shadow as I type this, and if he buys it I am kind of down to one of two choices at the moment.

Either I can buy a relatively close (3 total hours of driving) two pack of mid 90s 750 Magnas, which apparently both run well but one of the gas tanks is a bit rusty and needs to be treated for $2,000. Since $2k is about the going price for a single decent shape mid 90s Magna 750 around here I cant help but think that means with a little cleanup and patience I could keep one and sell one, and basically end up with a free Magna.

Of I could pick the possibly more grown up option and just go buy this VTX $4,400-4,600 out the door after TTL:

Which is apparently a near immaculate trade in they got with 12k miles, but it has some squishy brake issue and they dont want to spend money fixing it, so if it doesnt sell soon they are going to send it to auction.

That would require 10-11 hours of driving to go get it tomorrow, and at least bleeding the brakes, and maybe a caliper/MC/line change, which I doubt will be a big deal.

I suppose the other thing to consider is how my wife will react when she sees I sold my motorcycle today, if she notices, and how she will react tomorrow when she comes home to either a pretty red VTX 1800 or two mid 90s Magnas in the garage.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Hey Joel,

It kinda reads like you have moved on from the '86 1100 Shadow and the VTX1800 'project' bike, so, there is no need for me to expand on the last question you asked?

Anyway, taking into consideration all of the info you have offered up so far, I do not think that the 750 Magna would be the correct selection for you. It is light, flickable, and certainly has the 'Honda' reliability built into it but.... I have ridden 2 different Honda 750 Magnas, and my impression from those rides, being based on 140lbs. of rider weight, would lead me to guess that 'your' squirt-away throttle response is not what you would want. Sure, it can certainly roll on the interstate at the desired MPHs that you want, but, I do not think it would provide the get-away throttle response you desire (based solely on the info you have provided).

The VTX1800S model that you posted a link to is a carbon copy twin to my '02 VTX1800S that I bought brand new in March of '03. If that winds up being your choice then the first thing you need to do while 'checking out' the bike is remove the oil fill cap and taking a smell. Any hint of gas smell in the crankcase and you need to question when was the last time the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) was changed? '02 and '03 VTX1800s had the fuel pump mounted inside of the tank and afterwards the fuel pump was moved exterior to the gas tank. The FPR on the '02-'03 models have a nuance of needing to be changed due to age and not to mileage. I change mine every 10 years and have never had a problem.

The VTX1800 you posted a link to has a Honda-line windshield on it so that should help with your 'parachute' styled body frame that you offer up. Like I have already mentioned, the VTX1300 final drive is a direct bolt-up to the 1800 and due to it's gearing offers less RPMs at interstate speeds. What you may or may not be aware of is the close proximity of your right inner thigh to the rear exhaust pipe pictured on that bike. It took me years to realize what I needed on my bike (to get the heat away from my right inner thigh) was a VTX1800C model exhaust system. Scorched inner right thigh problem solved. The Kuryakyn Pro Hypercharger pictured on that bike is cool as all get out to look at but offers no more function than the stock airbox (just so you know). If there is an aftermarket fuel injection program management system installed on the bike...take it off and throw it away. Nuff said.

The Lindby engine guard installed on the bike...I like those.

A studded Mustang seat is always a thumbs up.

Already has a passenger backrest, another thumbs up.

Already has a Honda-line windshield to reduce 'parachute' body affliction...2 thumbs up.

Anyway,

John

·
Registered
53 Posts
TLDNR: The high speed freeway passing power and top speed of my 98 VT1100C just isn't enough for my situation. Should I buy a 1986 Shadow 1100 with 40k miles in good condition for $1500-$1700? Or a clean but basket case 2003 VTX 1800 with 19k miles for $2400-$2600?

I have my 98 Shadow Spirit 1100, which I thought would work well for me, and I do very much like at around town speeds, and the low speed acceleration is plenty for me, but freeway riding for me is going to be rough in the area I live with the performance level available.

I live in a small town in South Texas, and everything is like a 2-3 hour freeway ride away, and when I say freeway I mean the right lane traveling at 85-90 actual MPH is pretty much expected. I legitimately was almost run down several times in the 20 minutes or so total of testing the bike when it was only capable of doing 75-80mph according to the speedometer while in the right lane.

Now that I have the running issues fixed the bike is capable of reaching 105-110 gauge speed so probably 95-100ish actual. But of course that takes a bit to reach, and I dont feel like that leaves me sufficient acceleration room to use that as an option to quickly get out of the way of idiots who are not paying attention on the freeways I will need to travel to get anywhere.

Now, I know this isnt really the bikes fault, it was designed for a normal size person when the freeway speed limit was 55. I weigh a LOT and have torso like a barn door, both of which are rough on acceleration and top speed, and the cruising speed I am demanding out of it is WAY past what it was designed to travel continuously.

I am currently considering 2 possible replacements:

Listed as good running 1986 Shadow 1100 40k miles, no issues, Screaming Eagle aftermarket exhaust. Owner says I will have no problems picking it up and driving 3 hours back home. I have got him down to $1,700 just from texting, might be able to wiggle a bit more. $1500-$1700 I could swing today.

I like the idea of the lighter weight bike, the tach, the gas gauge, and the slightly more upright seating position as I don't like my legs super far out forward. I know the 86 Shadow has a lot more power than my 98, but not 100% sure how much quicker it can jump from cruising at 85-90 to GTFO 100-110mph actual, plus the fact that it is 35 years old and has very limited parts support is rough.

View attachment 298162

View attachment 298160

View attachment 298159

Option 2 is a 2003 VTX 1800 with 19k miles the owner disassembled to custom paint, planned on a ton of upgrades, but lost interest and is now selling as a non running basket case. According to the owner the bike was running well when parked, and no mechanical changes have been made to the bike. The bike appears to be mostly there, the owner says 95%+. I have got him down to $2,600 just from texting, might be able to wiggle a bit more. $2400-2600 is pushing my budget, and would be tight, but I could probably swing it within the next few days.

View attachment 298164 View attachment 298165 View attachment 298166 View attachment 298167

I like the idea of the more recent bike that was designed with higher freeway cruising speeds in mind, fuel injection is a HUGE plus, I know the VTX 1800 will have plenty of power once running properly, and a couple of the mods like the seat and the paint job are probably plus as I like high visibility white.

On the downside while I dont mind wrenching and working on some electrical any basket case is bound to be missing at least some parts, a LOT of those mods will be straight up things that I want no part of and will need to be replaced with factory parts, which the bike may or may not come with, plus the VTX 1800 is a straight up pig compared to the 86 Shadow 1100, which would likely make in town riding less fun, but freeway trips nicer.

Both the bikes are a significant drive away in opposite directions, although the Shadow is a bit closer.

What are your thoughts? Would especially love to hear from people who have previously owned either or both of these bikes.
Bear in mind that 1986 was the last year they put horse power in cruisers so all bikes made after that are not going to be nearly as fast. To make it worse they dropped a lot of bikes down to a 4 speed. Really boring bikes. If you want a bike with some get up and go but don't want to ride a big old boat like the 1800 then the 86 Shadow is the way to go. I own a 86 Shadow vt700c and it blows away the newer bikes that are a lot bigger and its much more nimble. The reason I bought the bike is because where I live there are lots of hills and curves. When I pass someone I don't want to spend the day doing it and thats where it really does good. Lots of passing power.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
The VTX1800S model that you posted a link to is a carbon copy twin to my '02 VTX1800S that I bought brand new in March of '03. If that winds up being your choice then the first thing you need to do while 'checking out' the bike is remove the oil fill cap and taking a smell. Any hint of gas smell in the crankcase and you need to question when was the last time the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) was changed? '02 and '03 VTX1800s had the fuel pump mounted inside of the tank and afterwards the fuel pump was moved exterior to the gas tank. The FPR on the '02-'03 models have a nuance of needing to be changed due to age and not to mileage. I change mine every 10 years and have never had a problem.

The VTX1800 you posted a link to has a Honda-line windshield on it so that should help with your 'parachute' styled body frame that you offer up. Like I have already mentioned, the VTX1300 final drive is a direct bolt-up to the 1800 and due to it's gearing offers less RPMs at interstate speeds. What you may or may not be aware of is the close proximity of your right inner thigh to the rear exhaust pipe pictured on that bike. It took me years to realize what I needed on my bike (to get the heat away from my right inner thigh) was a VTX1800C model exhaust system. Scorched inner right thigh problem solved. The Kuryakyn Pro Hypercharger pictured on that bike is cool as all get out to look at but offers no more function than the stock airbox (just so you know). If there is an aftermarket fuel injection program management system installed on the bike...take it off and throw it away. Nuff said.

The Lindby engine guard installed on the bike...I like those.

A studded Mustang seat is always a thumbs up.

Already has a passenger backrest, another thumbs up.

Already has a Honda-line windshield to reduce 'parachute' body affliction...2 thumbs up.
Thanks, that is all great info! I have decided I will get a VTX 1800, but my plans for tomorrow suddenly got changed, so 11 hours of driving to get that one isnt a possibility until next week at the earliest, so I dont know if they will still have it.

I was skipping over the 1800C models unless they were an astoundingly good deal, because I wanted the floorboards and the heel toe shifter, but it sounds like I might be best off with a 2004 or newer 1800c with the stock exhaust and buy aftermarket floorboards, unless I can happen to find a stock C exhaust somewhere, so that is very good to know.

The guy with the 2 Magnas I was talking to was kinda desperate to move them, sounds like his wife was coming back from some extended family event tonight, and he basically offered them to me for a song as long as I got them out before his wife got home. I think there may have been some sort of ultimatium.

Anyway, I agree they probably wont make good long distance cruising bikes, but they were close, cheap, and I have always wanted to play with one, so I got them.

Bear in mind that 1986 was the last year they put horse power in cruisers so all bikes made after that are not going to be nearly as fast. To make it worse they dropped a lot of bikes down to a 4 speed. Really boring bikes. If you want a bike with some get up and go but don't want to ride a big old boat like the 1800 then the 86 Shadow is the way to go. I own a 86 Shadow vt700c and it blows away the newer bikes that are a lot bigger and its much more nimble. The reason I bought the bike is because where I live there are lots of hills and curves. When I pass someone I don't want to spend the day doing it and thats where it really does good. Lots of passing power.
Check out the specs on the 94ish-2003 Magna 750 v4s, they are something like 40ishlbs heaver than your bike, but like 27 more hp. Also, no clue what the max lean angle is on those, but you would need to be looking REALLY hard to find those pegs in corner, it looks like over 45-50 uncompressed, not sure what that comes to when under load.

·
Registered
1986 Honda VT 1100
5 Posts
I've owned my 86 VT1100 since new and it has no problem cruising 80-90 mph all day long, and it does not require a downshift to pass at those speeds, just roll on the throttle and she'll go.. I too am a big guy at 6'4 and 275

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,989 Posts
The 750 Magna might not get your weight moving like you want, but worth a try! When I was looking at getting one for cheap, I found a site that had a design for an auxiliary oiling system for the heads. That was the one flaw in that engine design, that the heads would sometimes starve for oil…

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thanks, that is all great info! I have decided I will get a VTX 1800, but my plans for tomorrow suddenly got changed, so 11 hours of driving to get that one isnt a possibility until next week at the earliest, so I dont know if they will still have it.

I was skipping over the 1800C models unless they were an astoundingly good deal, because I wanted the floorboards and the heel toe shifter, but it sounds like I might be best off with a 2004 or newer 1800c with the stock exhaust and buy aftermarket floorboards, unless I can happen to find a stock C exhaust somewhere, so that is very good to know.

The guy with the 2 Magnas I was talking to was kinda desperate to move them, sounds like his wife was coming back from some extended family event tonight, and he basically offered them to me for a song as long as I got them out before his wife got home. I think there may have been some sort of ultimatium.

Anyway, I agree they probably wont make good long distance cruising bikes, but they were close, cheap, and I have always wanted to play with one, so I got them.

Check out the specs on the 94ish-2003 Magna 750 v4s, they are something like 40ishlbs heaver than your bike, but like 27 more hp. Also, no clue what the max lean angle is on those, but you would need to be looking REALLY hard to find those pegs in corner, it looks like over 45-50 uncompressed, not sure what that comes to when under load.
The 2003 model is about 16 more horse than my bike but still 16 can be a lot. I will have to take a look at those. I thought they quit building magna's in the 80s.I do know that most bikes made after 86 had been neutered.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
TLDNR: The high speed freeway passing power and top speed of my 98 VT1100C just isn't enough for my situation. Should I buy a 1986 Shadow 1100 with 40k miles in good condition for $1500-$1700? Or a clean but basket case 2003 VTX 1800 with 19k miles for $2400-$2600?

I have my 98 Shadow Spirit 1100, which I thought would work well for me, and I do very much like at around town speeds, and the low speed acceleration is plenty for me, but freeway riding for me is going to be rough in the area I live with the performance level available.

I live in a small town in South Texas, and everything is like a 2-3 hour freeway ride away, and when I say freeway I mean the right lane traveling at 85-90 actual MPH is pretty much expected. I legitimately was almost run down several times in the 20 minutes or so total of testing the bike when it was only capable of doing 75-80mph according to the speedometer while in the right lane.

Now that I have the running issues fixed the bike is capable of reaching 105-110 gauge speed so probably 95-100ish actual. But of course that takes a bit to reach, and I dont feel like that leaves me sufficient acceleration room to use that as an option to quickly get out of the way of idiots who are not paying attention on the freeways I will need to travel to get anywhere.

Now, I know this isnt really the bikes fault, it was designed for a normal size person when the freeway speed limit was 55. I weigh a LOT and have torso like a barn door, both of which are rough on acceleration and top speed, and the cruising speed I am demanding out of it is WAY past what it was designed to travel continuously.

I am currently considering 2 possible replacements:

Listed as good running 1986 Shadow 1100 40k miles, no issues, Screaming Eagle aftermarket exhaust. Owner says I will have no problems picking it up and driving 3 hours back home. I have got him down to $1,700 just from texting, might be able to wiggle a bit more. $1500-$1700 I could swing today.

I like the idea of the lighter weight bike, the tach, the gas gauge, and the slightly more upright seating position as I don't like my legs super far out forward. I know the 86 Shadow has a lot more power than my 98, but not 100% sure how much quicker it can jump from cruising at 85-90 to GTFO 100-110mph actual, plus the fact that it is 35 years old and has very limited parts support is rough.

Option 2 is a 2003 VTX 1800 with 19k miles the owner disassembled to custom paint, planned on a ton of upgrades, but lost interest and is now selling as a non running basket case. According to the owner the bike was running well when parked, and no mechanical changes have been made to the bike. The bike appears to be mostly there, the owner says 95%+. I have got him down to $2,600 just from texting, might be able to wiggle a bit more. $2400-2600 is pushing my budget, and would be tight, but I could probably swing it within the next few days.

I like the idea of the more recent bike that was designed with higher freeway cruising speeds in mind, fuel injection is a HUGE plus, I know the VTX 1800 will have plenty of power once running properly, and a couple of the mods like the seat and the paint job are probably plus as I like high visibility white.

On the downside while I dont mind wrenching and working on some electrical any basket case is bound to be missing at least some parts, a LOT of those mods will be straight up things that I want no part of and will need to be replaced with factory parts, which the bike may or may not come with, plus the VTX 1800 is a straight up pig compared to the 86 Shadow 1100, which would likely make in town riding less fun, but freeway trips nicer.

Both the bikes are a significant drive away in opposite directions, although the Shadow is a bit closer.

What are your thoughts? Would especially love to hear from people who have previously owned either or both of these bikes.
I've ridden both bikes, and if both were fully functional bikes ready for the road Id go with the VTX. As has been described by others the VTX is a fat pig but it does well on the open road. I didn't are for it in parking lots or slow speed maneuvering but that could of been me as much as anything else.

Personally I'd stay away from the VTX you mentioned simply because I hate working on other peoples mistakes. I'd rather ride than wrench.

For your particular situation I'd look elsewhere than a "mid-sized" cruiser. For just pure git-up-and-go there are a number of great options out there though they all are probably a bit more $$ that what you are looking at spending on the above choices. A 1050 V-Strom would blow the doors off any stock Shadow on the road. Better mileage, better speed, better handling, easy to strap luggage on for longer commutes. The Triumph Tiger is in the same category. Both the V-strom and Tiger have a neutral riding position which makes them quite a bit easier on the back when going distances and are equally maneuverable stop light to stop light, parking lots, and the open road.

Might be worth your tie to check out.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The 750 Magna might not get your weight moving like you want, but worth a try!
I am sure other things are better for cruising, but compared to the 1100 Shadow it is 40-50lbs lighter and has almost 40% more horsepower, I would be surprised if wasnt capable of a higher top speed than the 1100 Shadow.

When I was looking at getting one for cheap, I found a site that had a design for an auxiliary oiling system for the heads. That was the one flaw in that engine design, that the heads would sometimes starve for oil…
Was that for the first gen Magnas? I have seen some stuff on oiling issues for them, but I have not run across that being a standard issues on the 94-2003 version.

The 2003 model is about 16 more horse than my bike but still 16 can be a lot. I will have to take a look at those. I thought they quit building magna's in the 80s.I do know that most bikes made after 86 had been neutered.
Yea, its just because Honda was trying to appeal to people who wanted a "true" cruiser (Air cooled vtwin with lots f chrome and no power) with the Shadow series. The Magnas were never meant for that.

Sources seem to vary on 1994-2003 Magna hp and say it was either either 78hp or 86-87hp, I think the confusion was that some people were rating brake horsepower, and some were rating crank hp. 86 crank hp with 10% drivetrain losses comes out to 78.2bhp. It is my understanding that hp didnt change through the 94-2003 range. The VT700c was rated at 62hp at the crank so stock for stock the VT700c is about 24hp less than a 94-2003 Magna 750. Not a terrible tradeoff for 40 more lbs.

I've ridden both bikes, and if both were fully functional bikes ready for the road Id go with the VTX. As has been described by others the VTX is a fat pig but it does well on the open road. I didn't are for it in parking lots or slow speed maneuvering but that could of been me as much as anything else.

Personally I'd stay away from the VTX you mentioned simply because I hate working on other peoples mistakes. I'd rather ride than wrench.
I agree, but not because I mind wrenching on a bike some, but because so many of the stock parts are missing. If he had all the stock parts he was throwing in on that deal I would have it here already.

For your particular situation I'd look elsewhere than a "mid-sized" cruiser. For just pure git-up-and-go there are a number of great options out there though they all are probably a bit more $$ that what you are looking at spending on the above choices. A 1050 V-Strom would blow the doors off any stock Shadow on the road. Better mileage, better speed, better handling, easy to strap luggage on for longer commutes. The Triumph Tiger is in the same category. Both the V-strom and Tiger have a neutral riding position which makes them quite a bit easier on the back when going distances and are equally maneuverable stop light to stop light, parking lots, and the open road.
Yea, the problem is what is called "standard" or "neutral" riding position is that it can mean 3 about 90 degree angles at your hips, knees, and thighs, or it can mean hips extended, knees bent somewhat sharply, feet close to under your bottom, and ankles bent up. I want the first version, but most modern upright ADV and other bikes mean the second.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I am sure other things are better for cruising, but compared to the 1100 Shadow it is 40-50lbs lighter and has almost 40% more horsepower, I would be surprised if wasnt capable of a higher top speed than the 1100 Shadow.

Was that for the first gen Magnas? I have seen some stuff on oiling issues for them, but I have not run across that being a standard issues on the 94-2003 version.

Yea, its just because Honda was trying to appeal to people who wanted a "true" cruiser (Air cooled vtwin with lots f chrome and no power) with the Shadow series. The Magnas were never meant for that.

Sources seem to vary on 1994-2003 Magna hp and say it was either either 78hp or 86-87hp, I think the confusion was that some people were rating brake horsepower, and some were rating crank hp. 86 crank hp with 10% drivetrain losses comes out to 78.2bhp. It is my understanding that hp didnt change through the 94-2003 range. The VT700c was rated at 62hp at the crank so stock for stock the VT700c is about 24hp less than a 94-2003 Magna 750. Not a terrible tradeoff for 40 more lbs.

I agree, but not because I mind wrenching on a bike some, but because so many of the stock parts are missing. If he had all the stock parts he was throwing in on that deal I would have it here already.

Yea, the problem is what is called "standard" or "neutral" riding position is that it can mean 3 about 90 degree angles at your hips, knees, and thighs, or it can mean hips extended, knees bent somewhat sharply, feet close to under your bottom, and ankles bent up. I want the first version, but most modern upright ADV and other bikes mean the second.
well the beautiful thing is you get the excuse to go bike shopping. I always recommend grabbing a friend, spouse, whatever and going to every bike shop that'll let you in the front door and sitting on every bike they'll allow you to sit on. Bring along a helmet and gloves and test ride anything they'll let you roll off the lot.

You are 100% correct in phraseology can be quite relative. The only way you know a bike will work for you is to ride it around the block a time or two.

Good luck on your search, be interesting to hear what you decide on.

Reactions: blue flames

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,989 Posts
Mostly the early bikes had that oiling issues. Don’t know about the newer bikes. Even so, that issue actually being a serious problem crops up a lot less than people think. I didn’t say the bike couldn’t ‘cruise’, or get up to speed. Just that the acceleration may be ‘less than expected’ due to your ‘imposing stature’. 😉 I know my Shadow doesn’t seem near as powerful now that I weigh north of 200lbs, compared to when I weighed 140-160. 😔

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
I know my Shadow doesn’t seem near as powerful now that I weigh north of 200lbs, compared to when I weighed 140-160. 😔
I am 360 right now. I remember being 10 when I weighed 140, because I was officially taller and heavier than either of my parents. I dont know when I last weighed 160lbs, maybe late 4th or early 5th grade. I do remember I was 180 at the beginning of 6th grade and 210 at the end of it. Somewhere there is a picture of me in 6th grade standing on a basketball court with a classmate sitting on each of my shoulders, I remember both of them were boys that were older than me. I remember I was 14 when I weighed more than both my parents put together. I remember I was 320 in 10th grade.

What is funny is my dad is 5'4" and my mom is 5'5", outside of when my mom was pregnant I don't think either of them have ever been over 130. Those genes mixed hard.

I am sitting here as I type wearing my new HJC i90 5XL with all the front to back padding removed and replaced by thin strips of felt tape so it will fit and my head isnt directly against the styrofoam. I keep taking it on and off to take breaks while trying to compress the neck and cheek padding with my face in the hopes I will be able to close my mouth when riding without needing to remove the rest of the padding.

I kinda see why big Harley guys dont wear helmets, and dont even consider anything that is not a cruiser, as it seems like almost every other bike and gear is designed for someone who is the size of Tom Cruise, someone I could comfortably walk around with all day wearing as a backpack.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Its funny to me that cruisers are so terrible with aerodynamics even with their tiny frontal area that an 1100 Shadow with 60-67hp at 5k RPMs (depending on who was rating it) would have so much trouble reaching 100 mph. I have never put much effort into a true high speed run with my dead stock 1989 CRX HF, but I know I have had it cruising at 100 on flat ground, and it is rated as 62 hp at 4400 rpm.

God, thinking about that makes me feel even sorrier for the A.C.E 1100 owners.....

·
Registered
2002, Shadow Spirit 1100
2,263 Posts
I have an old 1986 Yamaha yx600 standard bike. I call it a 3/4 lean because that is how it feels to me. Seating leans you slightly to the front, your feet are under you but not behind you. Once your rolling at highway speeds you are in the perfect position. I have no problems going any speed on it and wind resistance is not noticeable at all. On my 1100 Spirit I have noticed that the wind rides up your legs, wind buffeting and some head shaking. I had to adjust my wind screen better which helped with the wind buffeting and head shaking. Considering power I don't think there is any issue with my 1100. I can hit 60 in 2nd gear and probably at least 80 in third even though I haven't tried it. 5th gear on my 1100 is where people think the bike has no power. At 70mph or more is where 5th on my bike seems to run good. Any speed lower using 5th gear seems sluggish.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 · (Edited)
Considering power I don't think there is any issue with my 1100. I can hit 60 in 2nd gear and probably at least 80 in third even though I haven't tried it. 5th gear on my 1100 is where people think the bike has no power. At 70mph or more is where 5th on my bike seems to run good. Any speed lower using 5th gear seems sluggish.
Mine was the same way going by the speedo, and as I said, in other circumstances that would have been fine, the revs were not an issue..

The problem is when you are doing 80 according to the bikes speedometer, you were probably doing low 70s actual, and in most places I have lived cruising around 72 or so is perfectly reasonable. The speed limit on all the freeways around where I currently live is 75 (probably 82.5 speedo), anything less than 82.5 (~91 speedo) isnt even a ticketable offense. The cops are pretty relaxed unless you piss them off, because these are all long, mostly flat, mostly straight roads, that people are easily doing 100 miles on between stops. So even in the right lane doing 85-90 (94-99 speedo) is perfectly normal. Cruising at 95+ (105 speedo, my top speed in 5th gear) in the left lane is also perfectly normal, and even some people doing that in the right lane isnt unusual to see. So just cruising along at right lane speeds keeps me withing 5 mph of my max speed, which is at or below the normal cuising speed for a large percentage of the people only one lane over.

So if I am not riding a motorcycle that can quickly and easily get going as fast as your speedometer reads as 100mph, I legitimately have no business even trying to get on to the freeways that are how you leave my town, as that is the common cruising speed in the right lane, and I wont even be able to get going fast enough to merge. All these freeways are only two lanes. So if I was doing your cruising speed of ~72 actual/80 speedo, I would easily have 5-20 cars a minute trying to swerve around me, all doing 15-20 miles an hour faster than me.

Picture doing that for the 240 mile round trip it takes to make my normal jog over to Houston and back, which I do at least 3-5 times a month. My rough guess at 72 mph cruising speed and 5-20 cars passing you a minute means something like 800-4,000 cars pass you every trip.

How long of playing that game of freeway roulette do you think it will take before that one half drunk soccer mom taking her kids to a swim meet in Houston with her cruise control set at 92 runs me over because she was scrolling through facebook on her phone during a 2-3 hour long mind numblingly boring drive?

Does that make more sense as to why I see a safety issue with my speed potential?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Right before I bought my 1100 Shadow Spirit there was a 2005 Goldwing that they said ran well and had like 15k miles on it, but needed some minor fixes, that they were only asking $3k for. At the time I was thinking "That is a good deal, but I should get a smaller bike...." It was a mistake, I should have grabbed it.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
For your type of riding I would get away from a Honda V-twin and look for either a parallel or transverse two cyl. The Triumph 3 cylinder in the Tigers chew up highway miles as well. Sure, most bikes can do 85+ once you get them going, but it's nice to be able to twist the wrist and quickly accelerate from that speed to pass someone. BMW's GS series bike fit that bill too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
For your type of riding I would get away from a Honda V-twin and look for either a parallel or transverse two cyl. The Triumph 3 cylinder in the Tigers chew up highway miles as well. Sure, most bikes can do 85+ once you get them going, but it's nice to be able to twist the wrist and quickly accelerate from that speed to pass someone. BMW's GS series bike fit that bill too.
I dont disagree at all, I think VTwins are a terribly outdated design that shouldnt exist on anything that is liquid cooled, and honestly I think Vs in general are a compromise that is trading off a lot of good things for packaging and to a lesser extent weight reasons.

That being said considering I dont want to spend a ton of cash it seems like the VTX 1800 is pretty hard to beat. I mean, I see stuff like this:

That is a 2008 1800 with 22k miles and minor cosmetic issues, $3-$3.4k and I am looking at a ride that may not be optimal, but should do everything I need it to do at this point with Honda reliability.

I suppose I am also just a bit biased, I actually like the look of the Triumph Tiger and BMW GS1200, although I have not ridden anything that tall, so not sure how I would feel especially with how top heavy I am by myself, but I just cant help feeling that even if I got a BMW or Triumph at an AMAZING deal for the same price as the Honda, that I would end up spending significantly more in repairs over the life of the bike.

Id fricking love a large comfy i4 metric cruiser with some good power and efficiency numbers that is fuel injected, but seems that isnt something that has been made for a very long time.

What do you think?

41 - 60 of 80 Posts