Honda Shadow Forums banner

86 Shadow 1100 for $1700? Or 2003 VTX 1800 basket case for $2600?

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
The VTX1800S model that you posted a link to is a carbon copy twin to my '02 VTX1800S that I bought brand new in March of '03. If that winds up being your choice then the first thing you need to do while 'checking out' the bike is remove the oil fill cap and taking a smell. Any hint of gas smell in the crankcase and you need to question when was the last time the FPR (fuel pressure regulator) was changed? '02 and '03 VTX1800s had the fuel pump mounted inside of the tank and afterwards the fuel pump was moved exterior to the gas tank. The FPR on the '02-'03 models have a nuance of needing to be changed due to age and not to mileage. I change mine every 10 years and have never had a problem.
Lol, I just looked up that FPR issue. I dont know how Honda screwed up there, but it looks nearly identical to an 88-91 civc/crx FPR, which I used to race and abuse like crazy in the early to mid 2000s. I must have had at least 15 of those FPRs all 15+ years old back then, and nary an issue. Those had certifiably bulletproof FPRs, mine in my 89 CRX is the one that came with the car and worked fine last time I ran it about 6 months ago. Not sure the pressure and bolt spacing matches, think those old ones were all specced 42psi, if yours is near that I might just grab a used 30 year old one off a civic and never worry about it again.

VRX FPR:
Wood Auto part Metal Engineering

88-91 Civic/CRX FPR:
Nickel Gas Metal Aluminium Machine

Gas Metal Auto part Cylinder Engineering

Is the body of the VTX one cast iron? If so, that might be an issue.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Update on this, I got the first of the Magnas running well, and they make GREAT bikes for around town, and on normal freeways. However, with my size and the speed of the freeways around here, and the potential ride distances, I just wanted something a bit more solid for long rides. I finally decided to man up and fork over some cash and have money down on this bike:

2014 Honda® Gold Wing Valkyrie | RideNow Chandler / Euro

It is a 2014 Honda Valkyrie ABS with 36K miles on it that will end up costing me about 10k after everything, including shipping to me. I could have got a prettier 2014 in blue with only 6k miles, no bags, and no ABS locally for 9k out the door, but I just figured the ABS was a good idea and an extra 30K miles on a Goldwing drivetrain probably doesn't matter much.

Not sure yet if I will keep one of the Magnas or not, probably depends what kind of offers I get on them, but they are a BLAST to ride, so I will probably just keep one as a toss around toy.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I believe you'll like that one, no problem keeping up or handling the curves.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,663 Posts
Though the newer Valk will probably make you go around with a fixed grin on your face, you'll probably be a lot happier than going through the process of getting the 1800 VTX up and running. You can't beat the flat sixes for smooth abundance of power and handling. :giggle: The Valk forum is good place to hang out also. Valkyrie Riders Cruiser Club

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I guess it's too late for me to offer up my services to go get it and ride it to your place? Ha Ha. You're going to love that thing. Ride it will be a hoot.

Let us know ........

]Congrats on what looks like a great purchase.

• Haha
Reactions: h13man

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Thanks everyone! I will keep you updated on how it goes. Just overnighted them the check today, which they should get on Friday, not sure yet what the schedule will look like on the shipping yet.

I guess it's too late for me to offer up my services to go get it and ride it to your place? Ha Ha. You're going to love that thing. Ride it will be a hoot.

]Congrats on what looks like a great purchase.
Honestly not sure on delivery yet, I touched bases with the guy who the dealership recommended, a company called VTwin Express who can do Chandler Arizona to Victoria Texas for $750 in an enclosed trailer.

Looks like I could also get a flight early next week for around $100, take a $50 Lyft ride, pick up the bike and drive it the 1,100 miles home. Assuming 38mpg and $3.50 a gallon that lands me about another $100... Hmmmm.....

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,663 Posts
I would definitely take the flight @ cheaper $$$! You're gonna love that POWER! The seat comfort would be the only concern I would have but there's only one way find out. :giggle: You start getting over 65 mph. the mpg's might start getting less. Honestly with my carbed version @ 75 mph. drops to 32 mpg. Check your speedo error also.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I would definitely take the flight @ cheaper $$$! You're gonna love that POWER! The seat comfort would be the only concern I would have but there only one way find out. :giggle: You start getting over 65 mph. the mpg's might start getting less. Honestly with my carbed version @ 75 mph. drops to 32 mpg. Check your speedo error also.
I will see how the timing and weather looks, plus check with the wife. She might be very disappointed if I go on a road trip without her, as she hasn't had a chance to get much seat time on her Rebel 1100 yet.

I am more worried about keeping up with the flow of traffic than MPG, and I imagine if I did take that trip the flow of traffic on some of those rural highways and freeways is a whole lot higher than 65.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I got the first Magna sorted out and sold it for $2k, the second Magna is a work in progress. Especially since I am working through the whole no title thing as well as the mechanical issues, but I did finish going through the carbs last night, so I feel that was one major hurdle down.

The actual bike I ordered though is a 2014 Goldwing Valkyrie coming from Arizona.

Still undecided if I will sell the second Magna or keep it as something of a spare bike. The gas tank is ugly, the seat is cracked, and it is missing a couple covers, so I doubt I could get much for it. But it should be a solid runner when I am done and having it on my insurance only costs me $70 a year, so we will see.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I will see how the timing and weather looks, plus check with the wife. She might be very disappointed if I go on a road trip without her, as she hasn't had a chance to get much seat time on her Rebel 1100 yet.

I am more worried about keeping up with the flow of traffic than MPG, and I imagine if I did take that trip the flow of traffic on some of those rural highways and freeways is a whole lot higher than 65.
Dude, if you struggle keeping up with traffic anywhere in North America or Europe on that Goldwing you need to hurry up and sell it (to me at a reasonable price) and buy yourself a Dodge diesel. Just sayin'! You'll be golden.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
This will probably sound weird, but the one thing I don;t like about those GoldWings with that engine is they are so incredibly smooth. None of my bikes have fairings or windscreens. I found when riding a Valk and a new 'Wing that I had zero sensation of speed because that engine is so smooth you don't pick up any vibration and behind the big windscreen you don't feel the wind. I think I'm easily cruising down an open road, look down at the speedo and see I'm doing well over 100. Barely have the throttle cracked. Smooth as silk sheets.
Everyone liked to call my 'Busa or GSXR "ticket getters". I believe I would of gotten a bunch more tickets operating that flat 6 than I ever got operating a bike with an inline 4.

Reactions: h13man

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Rode a friend's F6B naked goldwing a few times, definitely smooth, large seating area, kind of a climb on, wander around and find a place to sit feeling. The crappy low factory windshield on that one was terribly turbulent. Adding a deflector wing to the shield fixed it for me. He's taller than me, needed a larger deflector,,,

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
There is a link above with pictures of the 2014 Valk I am getting, looks like it comes with a pretty large windscreen.

I ride with a full face helmet and dont mind the wind on the shorter trips I have done so far with no windscreen. Seems like it would be a pretty good core workout if I was doing a 2-3 hour ride at 90-95 without a windscreen.

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
There is a link above with pictures of the 2014 Valk I am getting, looks like it comes with a pretty large windscreen.

I ride with a full face helmet and dont mind the wind on the shorter trips I have done so far with no windscreen. Seems like it would be a pretty good core workout if I was doing a 2-3 hour ride at 90-95 without a windscreen.
That tall shield might beat you up. I spent 11 years working on a windshield setup that actually works. The bigger it got, the worse the vacuum behind it got. Causes Von Karman vortices, which give you that "paint-shaker" feeling. Final fix was a 2-layer setup. + deflectors on the engine guard for my Tourer. Yours shouldn't need the deflectors with the frame-mounted fairing. PM me if you have issues,

I didn't have a shield for years, I used to tell people "If I wanted to ride behind a windshield, I'll just get in my car" Things change... then got older(smarter?). It was OK for a 15 mile commute to work, 8 to 10 hours a day for two or three days on a trip beats you up. When you get to where you're going, you're too worn out to do anything.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
It does seem pretty huge, but it looks fairly easy to remove from the pictures. Chances are I will keep it off around town and only put it on when I am going for a longer ride.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

I didnt really plan it like this, but I do like that both my wife and I will be riding blacked out non traditional Honda Cruisers. Hers is even more blacked out than mine:
Tire Land vehicle Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle

Finally finished all my paperwork, and the shipper has it now. They said probably a week or two until it gets to me, but should know for sure by end of week or early next week.

I feel a bit like a kid at Christmas.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts