Honda Shadow Forums banner

86 Shadow 1100 for $1700? Or 2003 VTX 1800 basket case for $2600?

Advice on buying an 86 VT1100 or 2003 1800 VTX.

7K views 93 replies 17 participants last post by  oldguy 
#1 · (Edited)
TLDNR: The high speed freeway passing power and top speed of my 98 VT1100C just isn't enough for my situation. Should I buy a 1986 Shadow 1100 with 40k miles in good condition for $1500-$1700? Or a clean but basket case 2003 VTX 1800 with 19k miles for $2400-$2600?

I have my 98 Shadow Spirit 1100, which I thought would work well for me, and I do very much like at around town speeds, and the low speed acceleration is plenty for me, but freeway riding for me is going to be rough in the area I live with the performance level available.

I live in a small town in South Texas, and everything is like a 2-3 hour freeway ride away, and when I say freeway I mean the right lane traveling at 85-90 actual MPH is pretty much expected. I legitimately was almost run down several times in the 20 minutes or so total of testing the bike when it was only capable of doing 75-80mph according to the speedometer while in the right lane.

Now that I have the running issues fixed the bike is capable of reaching 105-110 gauge speed so probably 95-100ish actual. But of course that takes a bit to reach, and I dont feel like that leaves me sufficient acceleration room to use that as an option to quickly get out of the way of idiots who are not paying attention on the freeways I will need to travel to get anywhere.

Now, I know this isnt really the bikes fault, it was designed for a normal size person when the freeway speed limit was 55. I weigh a LOT and have torso like a barn door, both of which are rough on acceleration and top speed, and the cruising speed I am demanding out of it is WAY past what it was designed to travel continuously.

I am currently considering 2 possible replacements:

Listed as good running 1986 Shadow 1100 40k miles, no issues, Screaming Eagle aftermarket exhaust. Owner says I will have no problems picking it up and driving 3 hours back home. I have got him down to $1,700 just from texting, might be able to wiggle a bit more. $1500-$1700 I could swing today.

I like the idea of the lighter weight bike, the tach, the gas gauge, and the slightly more upright seating position as I don't like my legs super far out forward. I know the 86 Shadow has a lot more power than my 98, but not 100% sure how much quicker it can jump from cruising at 85-90 to GTFO 100-110mph actual, plus the fact that it is 35 years old and has very limited parts support is rough.

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Plant Grass

Option 2 is a 2003 VTX 1800 with 19k miles the owner disassembled to custom paint, planned on a ton of upgrades, but lost interest and is now selling as a non running basket case. According to the owner the bike was running well when parked, and no mechanical changes have been made to the bike. The bike appears to be mostly there, the owner says 95%+. I have got him down to $2,600 just from texting, might be able to wiggle a bit more. $2400-2600 is pushing my budget, and would be tight, but I could probably swing it within the next few days.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Font Terrestrial plant Darkness Electric blue Number

I like the idea of the more recent bike that was designed with higher freeway cruising speeds in mind, fuel injection is a HUGE plus, I know the VTX 1800 will have plenty of power once running properly, and a couple of the mods like the seat and the paint job are probably plus as I like high visibility white.

On the downside while I dont mind wrenching and working on some electrical any basket case is bound to be missing at least some parts, a LOT of those mods will be straight up things that I want no part of and will need to be replaced with factory parts, which the bike may or may not come with, plus the VTX 1800 is a straight up pig compared to the 86 Shadow 1100, which would likely make in town riding less fun, but freeway trips nicer.

Both the bikes are a significant drive away in opposite directions, although the Shadow is a bit closer.

What are your thoughts? Would especially love to hear from people who have previously owned either or both of these bikes.

See less See more
#83 ·
This is a 3rd gen Valk, not the first gen, doesnt have the same type of valve covers, and even if it did one of the issues I am working on is that it grinds like a troll munching on rocks, which I am REALLY hoping is not an issue with the alternator drive gear, but that I suspect may be.

#89 ·
This is a 3rd gen Valk

one of the issues I am working on is that it grinds like a troll munching on rocks
Hey Joel,

Just making conversation here. There were only 2 gens of Honda Valkyries. I have owned them both. The 1520cc 1997-2003, and the 2014-15 1832cc.

Curiosity makes me ask, at what point in the running/cranking of the bike, do the trolls start crunching rocks (self and future self type of education material)?

You offer up that you are working with a 'dealership' on this issue, do you think the 'issue' is the reason that the bike was even at the dealership?

Thanks,
John

#88 ·
Yup :D My bet would be a large enough engine (but for motorcycles even 400-600cc should be enough) + enough cylinders to smooth out the power/torque-delivery. That way the power is distributed smoothly enough across the time even at idle.
So the key isn't a big engine but the optimization for smooth application of torque.
(Some mechanics did a change where an engine had all 4 cylinder firing at the same time, essentially making it a big 1 cyl engine. That car couldn't even get moving properly since all the power was delivered at one single point and not across a longer period of time)

#92 ·
Skipped a lot of replies .....bad service here and barely awake....
The vtx is a fine ride, but, heavy. This basket case, is just that, run from it!
Mostly hwy, ditch lightweight and low power, go sport tourer ....

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.