Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a '96 VLX600. It's very clean, has only 2,600 miles on it and has been garaged it's whole life. It has been registered non-op since 2003. It runs well, starts nicely. I got this bike as a commuter and I want to get her in the best possible shape to be comfortable and dependable.

Here is what I've done so far:

-Drained old gas & replaced it with Chevron 91 octane

-Changed oil & oil filter, replaced oil with AmsOil

-Lubed the chain

-Added Seafoam to the gas to clean out fuel system/carbs

What else should I do...?

Also... What are the best bang-for-the-buck things to do to increase HP/torque? Plugs, pipes, etc... I know it's a 600cc and it's not gonna' break the sound barrier, I just want to know what's possible.

Thanks! :D

·
Registered
256 Posts
  1. Do your wallet a favor and use regular gas instead of the 91 octane stuff.
  2. Check all the rubber parts for cracking. (15 years is a lot of time.)
  3. Change the air filter.
  4. Make sure the carbs are sync'd.
  5. Check the tire pressure and their condition. (Again, 15 years is a lot of time.)
  6. Change the brake fluid.
  7. Lube the cables.
  8. Check valve lash. (Probably OK with only 2600 miles.)

That's all I can think of right now.

And, I don't use it, so I don't know... is Amsoil rated for wet clutch systems?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
  1. Do your wallet a favor and use regular gas instead of the 91 octane stuff.
  2. Check all the rubber parts for cracking. (15 years is a lot of time.)
  3. Change the air filter.
  4. Make sure the carbs are sync'd.
  5. Check the tire pressure and their condition. (Again, 15 years is a lot of time.)
  6. Change the brake fluid.
  7. Lube the cables.
  8. Check valve lash. (Probably OK with only 2600 miles.)

That's all I can think of right now.

And, I don't use it, so I don't know... is Amsoil rated for wet clutch systems?
Thanks AK.

-Which rubber parts should I check for cracks? (I'll check everything, but what should I look out for?)

-I'll change the air filter, brake fluid, & lube the cables asap.

-Any links you know of to explain carb syncing & valve lash?

-AmsOil is recommended by a lot of people on this site... however I noticed my shifting getting clunky today...

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I would check that you used the amsoil motorcycle oil. And if you did, boy that stuff is expensive. I would check mobil1 motorcycle oil, around 1/2 the price. For rubber stuff I would check out the water hoses and their clamps. The fuel hoses too, check to make sure they are flexible and feel right.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Get a manual for the valve lash there is a stick at the top of the page on the Syncing process. Charnge radiator fluid and T-stat also. When you have the manual do ALL recomended services that would have normally been done on a 15 year old bike. Forget that you only have 2600 miles, treat it as is you have 30000+ and service accordingly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys, I just ordered a manual. I'll be doing all the suggested maintenance there...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Bang for the buck, the best thing I ever did to my VLX was a set of Cobra pipes and a matching jet kit. Lost some mpg but it was a great runner. BUT, if you go with aftermarket pipes, they will be significantly louder than stock and will very likely pop a bit on deceleration. If you can't live with that, stay with stock and enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Do your butt a favor, change the stock seat

Congratulations on your new bike. Where are the Pic's?:wink:

I recommend putting a mustang seat on it.

I put Vance and Hines curzers on my 2007 vlx 600, re jetted carbs, and K&N air filter.

Looks great, sounds great, rides great.

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Congratulations on your new bike. Where are the Pic's?:wink:

I recommend putting a mustang seat on it.

I put Vance and Hines curzers on my 2007 vlx 600, re jetted carbs, and K&N air filter.

Looks great, sounds great, rides great.
Ahem!!!!!!! Where are your pics?????????

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just bought a 98 VLX 600 back in mid January. I just hit my 6 month mark. My bike had 18,500 miles on it. It was SUPER clean, but not as well taken care of on the inside as it looked on the outside.

All the advice you have been given is GREAT advice. The following repairs have been done on my bike since purchased...

1) Carb Cleaning.
2) New Battery
3) New Fuel Pump (not sure if bad battery cause fuel pump to short, or if bad fuel pump caused battery to fail, either way, expensive to replace).
4) Coolant leak from thermostat housing. Actually a very easy inexpensive fix, just took a while to find it!
5) New chain and sprockets. keep an eye on your chain. Keep it lubed. there is no such thing as too much chain lube. You don't want to replace these often.
6) New Throttle cables. Lube them. now. And keep an eye on them, both at the top by the throttle, and down by the carbs. It's very easy to do.

The bike is a good bike. You'll get good MPG, and its a great starter bike. After 6 months (maybe sooner), you're really going to want a 5th gear, and a little more speed... but again, its a good start.

Enjoy!

·
Banned
3,795 Posts
Opps:oops:. Profile pics and avatar updated.

Here are a couple of pic's of my 2007 VT600C.
Sheit, I don't know what's worse, no pics or these god damnned thumbnails. Here you go, next time use a photobucket account, they're free. Upload to account, hover over desired pic, share, get link code, full size, select all, copy, then paste in post. This will also work in the edit signature area and we get to see your bike in every post.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sheit, I don't know what's worse, no pics or these god damnned thumbnails. Here you go, next time use a photobucket account, they're free. Upload to account, hover over desired pic, share, get link code, full size, select all, copy, then paste in post. This will also work in the edit signature area and we get to see your bike in every post.

Got it. Thanks for the feedback Kingshead. I have opened a photobucket account.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts