Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The bike came with a 20" wide windshield fork mounted. looks great, but
at 55mph my helmet is pushing back, whichis very uncomfortable. Ive
moved it up and down, tilt back and forth, and no difference. I know part
is I was spoiled from the Jammer on my gold wing, but I want to replace
it. Ive looked a Memphis shades which seem to be handlebar mount. I
believe I should go wider possibly. Im 6ft tall.
thanks for some direction.
mike

·
Registered
477 Posts
well I am 6 feet tall on a Spirit and have a 19 inch Memphis. I to have adjusted, moved, screamed and have yet to find what works. I am seriously thinking of just putting a Memphis Shooter on their and forgetting about it.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am 6'2" and ride a 98 ACE 1100. I had "buffeting" problems with my shield for a long time. Finaly, I cut the shield down to about 16.5" and added lowers. The lowers are what finally stopped the problem.

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
I've got a 96 ACE 1100 and am 6'1" tall. I have a Hondaline touring sheild and almost no helmet buffetting. I'd actually like to have one slightly taller, just an inch or 2 and it would be perfect.

I wish one of these sheild makers would do the research needed and publish just exactlly how to properly fit sheild and lowers for us.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
rickbb said:
I've got a 96 ACE 1100 and am 6'1" tall. I have a Hondaline touring sheild and almost no helmet buffetting. I'd actually like to have one slightly taller, just an inch or 2 and it would be perfect.

I wish one of these sheild makers would do the research needed and publish just exactlly how to properly fit sheild and lowers for us.

do me a favor measure width, height , Ill check with my local shop on
the Hondaline. Is it fork or handlebar mount.
thanks mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
kingham said:
I am 6'2" and ride a 98 ACE 1100. I had "buffeting" problems with my shield for a long time. Finaly, I cut the shield down to about 16.5" and added lowers. The lowers are what finally stopped the problem.
thanks, so your head is quite a bit over the top of the shield ? Also, Im
confused how the lowers solved the problem, and where did you buy them?
thanks mike

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
mrbingha said:
rickbb said:

do me a favor measure width, height , Ill check with my local shop on
the Hondaline. Is it fork or handlebar mount.
thanks mike
It's 19" from top of headlight cutout, and 26" wide. This sheild has built in lowers with cutouts for the stock turnsignals. It's another 12" down around the headlight and turnsignals. The 19" is a little low for me, I'm going to order the 21.5" one this spring.

This company makes sheilds that fit the Hondaline bracket, the bracket mounts on the forks, and under the headlight.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/shop/product.php?id=28

Link to the Honda Shadow stuff.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Most of the wind that was hitting me was coming up from UNDER the windshield. I found this by holding my hands at various positions until I managed to block the wind that was hitting me in the helmet. Funny thing was that I had to hold my hand flat horizontal at my chest to block the wind hitting me in the helmet. I moved my hand in the direction from which the wind was coming & found that it came from UNDER the windshield. So, I put on lowers & it knocked out a BUNCH of the wind.

Now, one thing to note is that you'll NEVER get the kind of wind pocket that's created by the 'Wing unless you're on a 'Wing. But, you can do some things to minimize it. BEFORE you go cutting down the top of your windshield, get you some cardboard & cut it to "fit" the front of your bike & tie it onto the forks & go for a ride. See where the cardboard gets bent when you hit a bump & trim down the cardboard above the fender. Keep doing that until you have a template that will work. Then, cut a piece of 1/4"-3/8" plywood to fit the template & strap THAT to the front of the bike & go for a ride. You should find that you've elminated most of the wind that's hitting your helmet.

Now, you can order from Memphis Shades their mounting brackets for lowers on your bike, & have someone cut a piece of plexiglass to the template you created & then use the Memphis brackets to attach the plexiglass to your bike. Or, you can just order the lowers for your bike from Memphis Shades. That's what I've got, but it's not quite as wind-free as a full-across piece of plexiglass would be, I've just not taken the time yet to do the template routine.

There are also others, besides Memphis Shades, that make lowers, engine deflectors, etc. One other thing to consider would be to get Highway Bars and chaps for them. I've been told that the lowers along with the chaps on the highway bars combine to do a better job than just the lowers alone. So, highway bars & chaps are on my short list of stuff to get/do for the bike.

·
Registered
236 Posts
mrbingha said:
kingham said:
thanks, so your head is quite a bit over the top of the shield ? Also, Im
confused how the lowers solved the problem, and where did you buy them?
thanks mike
David summed it up pretty nicely on how the wind comes under the shield. Just to elaborate a little, the reason that it bufets is that when it comes under the shield, up your legs and torso, and right into your helmet. When the air gets into your helmet, that is when you are getting the vibration. Like david said, use your left hand on an open road and feel around yourself to see where the air pressure is coming from. You will be surprised that most of the wind coming over the shild is significantly above your head. It is likely the wind coming up your body doing the dammage.

I added memphis lowers from cruiser customizing. com. the lowers were fairly cheep and the mounting hardware was not bad.

Here is an old post from right after I did it.

http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12465&highlight=lowers

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
follow up on Hondaline sheild

rickbb said:

Rick, what is your width and height on the sheild, everyone seems to think lowers will solve the problem, which makes sense. Im looking at the memphis fats 22 wide 19 or 21 high...
thanks mike

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Re: follow up on Hondaline sheild

mrbingha said:
rickbb said:

Rick, what is your width and height on the sheild, everyone seems to think lowers will solve the problem, which makes sense. Im looking at the memphis fats 22 wide 19 or 21 high...
thanks mike
At the widest point it's 26, and 19 from the top of the headlight. I'd like to have it another 2 inches taller though. The touring style of sheild from Honda and Clearview have somewhat of a lower as part of the sheild. You can see it in the link from above to the Clearview site.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts