Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A local Honda dealer had numerous new 2009 Honda Shadow 750's. I bought the Spirit, but they had Aero models also... other than basic styling, they had different front wheels and tires....Aero was smaller and fatter, Spirit was larger but thinner...newbie question here, what are the advantages of each front tire? All I have are guesses....

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I had both. Actually I had a Spirit that I put an Aero front end on to. The smaller/wider front wheel allowes for easier steering, and doesn't track into grooves in the road. Some may argue an alternative reason to want the larger wheel, but I never found one. I was much happier with the Aero wheel.

Here is a before and after pic.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Handling, mostly. The skinnier front tire handles easier most will say. I always found that my Aero 750 handled the way I wanted her to.

Lantesh should post more pics of his old Spaeroantom. One of the most beautiful bikes I have ever seen.

I regret having to sell my own Aero.

It would have been one helluva sight seeing the Spaeroatom and Her Majesty running side by side....

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Yeah Mark I regret that I had to sell the Spaeroantom. I would have loved to have been able to see it parked next to Her Majesty. Both are great bikes, and I hope are serving their new owners well. I sometimes wonder if whoever has the Spaeroantom now even knows that the bike is special. I traded it in, so the new owner did not have the benefit of me explaining the work I did. He probably thinks that it's stock.

I don't want to hijack this tread, but here is another pic since you asked.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
Yeah Mark I regret that I had to sell the Spaeroantom. I would have loved to have been able to see it parked next to Her Majesty. Both are great bikes, and I hope are serving their new owners well. I sometimes wonder if whoever has the Spaeroantom now even knows that the bike is special. I traded it in, so the new owner did not have the benefit of me explaining the work I did. He probably thinks that it's stock.

I don't want to hijack this tread, but here is another pic since you asked.

Actually, I want you to post as many pics as you have of her. I want to archive them in my PB account, and show the noobs here what you accomplished in building!:wink:

And, we should have ridden those two bikes side-by-side!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
The tall, skinny front wheel is more of a fashion thing than anything. Makes the bike look more chopper-like. The handling characteristics are different as well, though. The tall, skinny tire lends itself to being more "flickable" in the curves (this also depends on rake and trail of the bike it is on too) and easier to steer, requiring less input from the rider. It also can make a bike's front end feel "floppy" and not stable in slow speed maneuvers. It takes more concentration and practice to keep feet on the pegs and the bike stable at under 2mph.

The fatter tires are more stable and predictable and these ultra low speeds. But they also require a bit more input from the rider when tackling curves.

YMMV :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, that makes sense... low speed is pretty difficult to handle with the Spirit skinny tall tire...thanks for the info and hijack away....

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Ok, that makes sense... low speed is pretty difficult to handle with the Spirit skinny tall tire...thanks for the info and hijack away....
It gets easier the more you ride and practice. I had the same issue with the VLX for a while. :)

·
Registered
662 Posts
The Spirit front tire seems a little less stable in slow maneuvers. Not that bad though. I notice the biggest difference and difficulty with the 21" thin tire is working in gravel, sandy roads or rocks.

I have a smaller fatter front tire on the "X" and that is where I get my comparisons.

I don't see the thinner tire as being a real drawback. Just have to aware of what you are atop of....

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
I dunno...I put a low profile, skinny tire on the front of my Tourer (VTX 1800 size) and found it to handle much better than the stock size?

Am I missing something here?

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I dunno...I put a low profile, skinny tire on the front of my Tourer (VTX 1800 size) and found it to handle much better than the stock size?

Am I missing something here?
I don't really notice the "floppy" feeling unless it's a 100 series (or skinnier) tire. The VT1100C had a 110 series tire and it felt pretty good at low speeds, on par or better than the VLX (the heavier weight and taller seat of the 1100 discounted it slightly for me).

I will say that the Magna feels even more stable at ultra low speeds, but I think that's attributed to the lighter weight, less rake/trail, and slightly fatter tire (120 series). I can keep my feet on the pegs even if the bike is at a virtual stand still. :mrgreen:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts