Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So as mentioned in this thread: http://www.hondashadow.net/forum/53-general-bike-discussion/374778-stock-hole-saw-back-again.html I went from hole saw back to stock more or less.

I'm still entertaining the idea of after market pipes for my '06 Shadow Spirit 750, but I really don't want something very loud. So here's my question:

Can I get after market set of pipes like Cobra or V&K with mufflers and resonators? I would love to get that deep rumble sound without all the noise that comes with it. Just a little low frequency bark that will not piss off my neighbors :) Basically the quietest (relatively, don't mind bit louder than stock) pipes with DEEP sound to them. Is it even possible with Honda and 750cc engines?

If you have such a setup, would you please be so kind and post a video?

Thanks guys and girls!

M.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
On a motorcycle you cant get rumble without the loudness. I will say that V&H Cruzers were quieter than the slip-ons i made. FWIW...

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
One person I ride with has V&H pipes and they were loud... then he ordered in the quite baffles and they are not to bad.... but probably close to the no baffle noise of my bike but a smoother deep sound, his is on a M50 Suzuki :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
On a motorcycle you cant get rumble without the loudness. I will say that V&H Cruzers were quieter than the slip-ons i made. FWIW...
Yes!!!

I've been watching youtube videos of my bike with different pipes and so far V&H Cruisers sound the best. Still LOUD, but better than straights or any Cobras...

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I have v&h shortshots. They were too loud with the stoock baffle so I ordered the quiet baffle. It's still very loud but has a deeper rumble as well. You should look for a longer set and order the quiet baffles at the same time. If they are still too loud get a length of oven seal (goes around an oven door). Wrap it not too tightly around the baffle and it will lower the sound and be very rumbly. Or get a big wallet and buy a harley.

Dingo.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I have v&h shortshots. They were too loud with the stoock baffle so I ordered the quiet baffle. It's still very loud but has a deeper rumble as well. You should look for a longer set and order the quiet baffles at the same time. If they are still too loud get a length of oven seal (goes around an oven door). Wrap it not too tightly around the baffle and it will lower the sound and be very rumbly. Or get a big wallet and buy a harley.

Dingo.
Honestly the stock pipes on the new Harleys are pretty dang lame, mine sounded like hopped up go-kart running on the other side of a well insulated wall. But that was awesome for scooting around town undetected and didnt draw unnecessary and unwanted attention. But now I have V&H staggered short shots with quiet baffles still loud when you really crank on it but a nice rumble at cruising speeds. Still wish I had got the Big shots. (another 6in of pipe, and a little bit more quiet on the quiet baffles) but it still doesnt have the DEEP rumble of my uncle's '14 street glide with V&H Monster rounds, and we both have the 103ci engine. I'm debating on going to the big shots or an ugly Basanni 2-1 pipe for performance.

Just some notes-
You'll never get that Harley sound out of it, thats all in the bore/stroke and cams. (for the most part) But there are some things you can do to help deepen the sound and keep it at a reasonable sound level. proper sized head pipe to a large bodied muffler(s) with that you can adjust the baffles and play with them, more packing material is going to lead to a more mellow and deep rumble sound, while a straight through set up is going to be loud, raspy, and some what "tinny" sounding. Look at some of the V&H pipes that are big (like 4.5in) for the HD touring bikes. Also keep the pipes a little longer and not dumping right behind you, take 'em on back. That'll keep the sound out of your ears. My pipes arent stupid loud and I've never had my neighbors complain, or anybody for that matter.

But honestly the Hole-saw mod doesnt sound all that bad in comparison, its not very loud in my experience ('08 dual factory pipes) but I know it can get a little annoying on long rides with the RPM's kept up where it starts to scream. But the hole saw mod does sound better than a 1000cc shadow with the cobra pipes.. I was even told that by the owner of that bike. sure his was louder, but sounded terrible. a good baffle goes a long way, you might even be able to put one in if you remove your factory baffles again for minimal cost.

·
Registered
108 Posts
There's a thread on the vic forum that explains cutting open a stock muffler, removing the core baffle and replacing it with a glasspack that fits right in the hollow perimeter and weld it back together. Looks totally stock after putting the chrome heat shield back on. Has a little more rumble without being obnoxious,, they say. Very low cost to do it yourself.

Sick of glasspack threads? Here's another - Victory Forums - Victory Motorcycle Forum

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
I bought Cobra 1711 Streetrod Pipes and had them on my bike for approx 2 hours.

Too loud for me. Couldn't believe how loud they were. Considered quiet baffles or custom baffles for about 15 mins, then took the Cobras off and reinstalled the stock.

Sold them and recovered my costs.

in short: they were just too damn loud for me and my environment.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Personally, I love my Cobra straight pipes. Good low timbre and when I accelerate I like cage drivers know where I am. It's pleasing to the ear and a built in safety device.
What's not to like?

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I had at one time cobra slash cuts on my vlx, they sounded tinny, I went back to stock pipes and did what I consider the complete hole saw mod. I completely removed the baffles from both pipes and drilled 3 holes in the plates 17'' deep in each pipe. Nice sound. I wasn't trying to sound like a hd, but rather wanted "not" to sound like a singer sewing machine. Note I wrote "drilled" not "punched".

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Good low timbre and when I accelerate I like cage drivers know where I am.
Even better, your loud pipes allow you the mystical power to see inside the heads of cagers to know what they are sensing. Astonishing! Everyone should have a set of your magical pipes.:roll:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Even better, your loud pipes allow you the mystical power to see inside the heads of cagers to know what they are sensing. Astonishing! Everyone should have a set of your magical pipes.:roll:
True enough--they have NO power over deaf drivers...

·
Banned
5,100 Posts
Yeah, "Magic" like you can turn them on and off. unfortunately they cant be turned off.

You can pretty much hear a Pin Drop where i live. When I fired-up those Cobra Streetrods it sounded exactly like I remember it did when we raced the 1/4 Track back in the 70's.

The little V-Twins can make some noise!

I could have sworn it made the bike go faster and yes, people were getting out of my way as I approached, I noticed all this in 2 hours.

I bought them so I could eventually add the National Cycle Hard bags which do not fit with the shadow aero OEM dual exhaust, but do the Cobras.

Unless you customize the mount, like i ended up doing.

It all worked out, I got a hell of a deal ($200) for a brand new set of Cobras,
got to test them out, got to get my money back AND in the end got the National Cysle Bags mounted too.

EDIT ADDED:

The Cobras had stunning beautiful Chrome and were very well made. Part of me wishes I kept them and made custom baffles....

·
Registered
365 Posts
If I buy after an after market exhaust for my bike like V&H, is it necessary to have the carb jets adjusted? I think I can install exhaust pipes, but not adjust carb jets.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
If you leave the baffles in, you might have to adjust the mixture screws as long as you leave the airbox alone too.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I've been in my neighborhood for over thirty years. I've seen it go from a rural farming community to a very high dollar, exclusive plastic-land populated by very annoying snobs. I could go on all day about my neighbors.
I have an old BSA barhopper with short centerline drag pipes. The only reason I keep it is for the nostalgia, and to wring it out hot and heavy through the neighborhood 8:00AM Sunday morning. I have no choice when it comes to old age. Maturity is a different matter entirely.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
I have no choice when it comes to old age. Maturity is a different matter entirely.
Made my chuckle because I am the same. My neighbor on the left rides the loudest chopper I've ever heard (an Eaton). My neighbor to the right rebuilds muscle cars...say no more. My neighbor 2 doors down rides his HD Ultra down the road at 8am on Sundays with pipes blaring. I am covered if I want loud pipes. ;).

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the Cobra vance & hines. You don't want them. They make a lot of noise. Think mine must be missing the baffle. lol
So if you have been looking at them, walk away.
Good luck. I have thought about getting stock pipes. But them I make all that noise and make people made, and I realize I like them.

-Mike

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
I have the Cobra vance & hines. You don't want them. They make a lot of noise. Think mine must be missing the baffle. lol
So if you have been looking at them, walk away.
Good luck. I have thought about getting stock pipes. But them I make all that noise and make people made, and I realize I like them.

-Mike
No such thing as Cobra vance and hines. They are two different companies.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts