Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several times just recently I've heard guys mention that the clutch lever is getting painful to operate. Arthritis being the first reason to come to mind, there are more.
I know, in order for a product to be developed, there must be a financial reason first, a market.
Power brakes. How long have these been around? Power steering? One being vacuum powered, the other hydraulic. Both similar, a proportional valve and an actuator. Then there are stepper motors, probably a couple other means of easing the force required for clutch lever pull. I've toyed with the idea of profiling the cam of a hydraulic clutch lever to be more progressive and gradual. Perhaps a roller instead of a cam. I've not had the problem yet, but I'm sure that could be an issue some day.
There must be a certain amount of clutch spring force in order for the thing to work. Surely there could be a way to ease the force required to compress it.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
There is another solution that Honda has incorporated on some bikes ---- an automatic transmission.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is another solution that Honda has incorporated on some bikes ---- an automatic transmission.
I was considering that as I was typing. Again, not enough money for the development but I was thinking about the guys who would like to keep what they have. I also thought about a trained monkey to ride on the tank and operate the lever.

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
I have pretty bad athritis and using the clutch is one of those things that I do gladly put up with the pain. I try to stay away from areas where I have to shift a lot.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I've been wondering why the Goldwing does not offer an automatic yet. I guess maybe not many would want it.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,466 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Motorcycle Sidecar

This is my brother in laws URAL, he rides it all year round here in Minnesota. As you can see his dog love it.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Who remembers the mini trail 50's? Honda made a successful product way back then and it worked great. I'm thinking there is a viable business opportunity for someone interested in training clutch monkeys.

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
.. I also thought about a trained monkey to ride on the tank and operate the lever.
Now THAT would be fun!
Except when you pass other bikes - especially certain other brands, just imagine the amount of feces that would be thrown.. Yuck!..

You might meet the nicest monkeys on a Honda, but not every-one's a winner. ..:mrgreen:

I think that outside of the automatic transmission, for a feather-light operation you would need a high torque stepper motor and the clutch lever set up as it's control..

I'm all for innovation, so tell us how that comes along :mrgreen:

·
Premium Member
8,878 Posts
That looks great! :D

A shame the dog doesn't have a fake machine gun mounted for it, you could call it a dog of war.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
At the VA hospital they have a program to enlist certain animals to use as service animals. I think I'll call them to ask about them training a clutch monkey for the guys.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
If you can't pull the clutch lever how can you pull the brake lever hard enough for emergency stops? I don't see what's wrong with hanging up the bike keys and taking the Miata.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I rode the Automatic CTX...I didn't like it. My buddy loves the bike...I'm not a huge fan. I like using the clutch to help slow down and turns...but I guess you adjust with your needs.

·
Registered
23,171 Posts
As some of you know I have Dupuytren's Contracture significantly in the left hand and to a lessor extent ( for now ) in the right. Surgery to me does not seem to be the best option but irregardless, I may be looking to have the clutch lever turned in a little to compensate , we shall see

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
If you can't pull the clutch lever how can you pull the brake lever hard enough for emergency stops? I don't see what's wrong with hanging up the bike keys and taking the Miata.
The problrm is that a Miata is a chick car. Don't believe me? See Barbie ;)

Dingo.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah but my Miata's got a little bit of testosterone in the form of an Eaton supercharger. Makes all those Z4 owners say "WHAT THE........"

·
Registered
147 Posts
Speaking of old age. I'm 59. Back in 1980 I was hit by a hit and run driver when I was directing traffic as a policeman. She messed up my knees and especially my hips for the rest of my life. I bought a 1999 VLX600 and HAD to move the controls 6" forward just to be able to get my feet onto the left peg. My left hip does not even come close to working well any more. That and I have a 37" inseam : (

Sometimes you HAVE to adjust the bike to fit your needs. If I want to ride, I had to make changes to the stock bike. I tried many many bikes before I bought. I couldn't ride or even get onto 95% of them without changes. I tried tall bikes- couldn't get my leg/hips over them. I tried short bikes- not enough leg room even with forward controls. etc, etc. Couldn't even consider anything but a cruiser due to peg position and then the pegs HAD to moved moved WAY forward.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The problrm is that a Miata is a chick car. Don't believe me? See Barbie ;)

Dingo.
I sold Mazda's for awhile......I had to use a shoe horn just to get into a Miata!! Great car, drove awesome.....but didn't fit people at 6-3" and very long legs!! I actually dreaded giving test drives in those things.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts