Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I`m surprized NOT to see much talk on this VERY popular annual event amoungst HSN members...
I`ve beena reading and hearing stories about this event all of my adult life...
Sturgis 2011 will be my first, I`ve always wanted to go, but ain`t never persued it until this year...
A friend and I were talking New Year Eve and neither has backed out...
Time draws near...T-Minus-14 days and counting down...
HMMMM,
Dennis
Sturgis2011

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Must be the economy!! hahahahaha.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Lots will probably be there. It should be hotter than normal this year as most of the midwest is pretty hot this summer. There are some good roads around there. A large % of the people who go there, go to be seen there. Not important to me. I been there twice NOT during the show. Deadwood is cooler, but still definitely a tourist trap. If you love huge crowds, & overpriced everything you will love it. Have a great trip.

·
Registered
11,371 Posts
Actually the number of people going to Sturgis has been declining for the last several years. I know several riders that got tired of all BS going on and the fact that it got so big, so they stopped going.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I`ve never been to the area...
We plan four days checking out the Black Hills and countryside primarily...
I`m looking forward to the trip ...
Yeah, back in the 70s Daytona Bike week was a small gathering too, NOW it`s half of Florida that is Bike week...
The last one of these was 2003 fer me...
EDIT:
I guess the Sturgis Run is so I can say "Sturgis, I rode Mine" ;)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I went there years back on a HD. Couldn't imagine going there on a metric. The festival can be quite fun, though I have heard it has really gotten spendy.... Do it, get the t-shirt and enjoy. Go back during the off season and enjoy the beautful plains and rolling hills during a solo ride and I'm willing to bet you'll really enjoy yourself. Looking forward to hearing from you when you get back. Hope you have a fanfu**ingtastic time!!!!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can't say that I have seen a big difference in crowd size over the last few years, sure, not as big as the anniversary years, but the attendance **** near doubles the State's population over the week(usually 600,000+)! It can be spendy, but just like anything else, if you are careful where, and on what you spend your money, it is no worse that Vegas, NYC or Murtle Beach vacation.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The worst expense we`ve come across so far is Sturgis area room rent...
We`ll make up fer that on the return trip, staying with friends along the return path...
I`m excited,
Dennis

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Envy you Dennis. At 75 I am just not up to that much riding over such a short time span so will just sit back and read your posts, with envy.

Frank

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope and pray my 57 years old body is up to this challenge...
BUT I think two of the others are a tadd older though and I might just possibly be the baby of the crew, from the looks of the forth fellow...:)
The only "rush" will be the four days trip going, we ain`t got no schedule coming home right now...
We had orig-I-nally planned three days going out and one guy said we aughtta just leave a day early "justincase"...
Gas Price just plain $ucks too,
Dennis

·
Registered
309 Posts
I was there in 84 it was cool lott's of nice rides and half dressed girls mt rushmore is a must see have fun and post the tattoo you wake up with!

·
Registered
546 Posts
I will be riding out from Los Angeles - will be my 5th in 6 years. Going to stop in Yellowstone to smell the "roses" for 3 days on the way there. Then tent camp. Already connected with Captain D. Will be there Wed-Sat morning. PM if you are going so we can connect up.

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, if you wanna hook up, we`ll give you a call, PM me your number and we can get a pix...
ihavethespirit gave me his number already, it looks like wednesday or thursday are the only times we got that both of us will be there at the same time...
I`ll be do the serenity Run and ABATE Social hour,
Everytime I pull up the events calendar, I write down something else to do...
I quit checking it out...
See ya there?
Dennis

·
Registered
16 Posts
Where to?

I have gone the past 2 years, and I had a great time both years. Although the two trips were a lot different, first was pretty much spent hanging out in the town of Sturgis. The second we had more time and ride a few of the scenic rides, for me that was tons of fun. The trip itself was not that expensive, we tent camped both times at Spur Campground, it was cheap, and we were able to hit the grocery store for food and beverages, which cuts down on a lot of the costs.
We were planning on attending this year but, are thinking about heading another direction since I took the time off work already. Does anyone have any suggestions for good rides around the midwest, since we live in Nebraska. I was thinking about heading towards Colorado, but not sure. Maybe Missouri? Open to suggestions? Where will the road take us?

Attachments

·
Registered
17,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
When we leave Sturgis area, we`re doing Pikes Peak with friends in Colorado Springs...
I`ve beena looking at things, 33 Secrets For Smart Touring can any of y`all add to the list???
T-Minus-11 days
Thanks,
Dennis

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
When we leave Sturgis area, we`re doing Pikes Peak with friends in Colorado Springs...
I`ve beena looking at things, 33 Secrets For Smart Touring can any of y`all add to the list???
T-Minus-11 days
Thanks,
Dennis
Dennis, I think there is an old cog train/trolley that goes up from Manitou Springs which is close to Colorado Springs, nice little tourist town, unless you are planning on riding up to PP......make sure you have some warm clothes as it's a little windy and chilly up thar............

1 - 20 of 29 Posts