Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off my carbs to give them a really good cleaning. Got them all cleaned up and put back together and back on the bike. My problem is the air box doesn't want to go over the right carb air intake. The left one will go on decent, but the right side, no matter how hard I push or twist or even move the carbs a little, it misses the intake by a couple millimeters. I just can't get it to go on enough to snug up the clamp.

Any suggestions? It's a 1986 VT500C.

Thanks!!!! :?:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And if it isn't on well and has a gap, won't it run lean and possibly be getting dirt in the cylinder?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hondamatteo said:
Try a little bit of lube on the rubber boots to make the airbox slide on a little easier. That should do it
I did that. Tried some Armor All. The parts just don't want to line up right. I'm wondering if it would be possible to put the front of the airbox onto the carburetor intakes first. Then somehow put the back part down on the air filter end.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
no, the air filter end will have to be on first, Soap and water on the boots, and maybe loosen up your carb-cylinder boots as well. Did you notice that the rubber boots on the intake duct spin some? that changes the angle that they line up with the carbs. May need some adjustment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
still_bluenoser said:
no, the air filter end will have to be on first, Soap and water on the boots, and maybe loosen up your carb-cylinder boots as well. Did you notice that the rubber boots on the intake duct spin some? that changes the angle that they line up with the carbs. May need some adjustment.
I haven't tried to spin the rubber boots on the intakes yet. They seem perfectly round, but it would be worth a try. I'll give that a try in the morning. Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hi;
I use a hair dryer and warm them up. It softens the rubber and then use some lube and they will slip on.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Finally got it on with a little forcing. I think I'll rig something different the next time I have it off.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
amad said:
I think I'll rig something different the next time I have it off.
Oh gawd..... Add another bike to the list of hacked up machines :wink:

Good job! and If you installed an inline fuel filter you shouldn't have to pull them for a long time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
F'in A. I'm dealing with the same damn problem and is why I came online to look for help. It's as if the same boot on the mid-portion of the duct is not long enough to reach over the carb. I loosened the boots going to the jugs to try and finagle it up enough to try and reach but it's just too damn short... no dice. I'm going to try and take the carb loose completely and bring er up. Pain in the butt.

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
111 Posts
What helped me a lot was a hook (someting like a screw driver but a hook at the end) to get that bloody rubber thing fitted, a bit of grease as well. I just can't find that Shane Conley video on youtube where he shows how to do that. I completely loosend the screws of the rubber boots to get them over the carb. Just to loosen them a bit didn't work, but that hint with the hook helped the most.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks brother. Was able to get one of the bigger gals out to rest one cheek on top of the intake plenum and gently agitate that booty back and forth while simultaneously fisting the carb upward to seat the groove and torque the boot clamp. Seems to be holding ok.. took her for a spin and she rode ok. I'd like to find some overlapping boot collars though.. hard to trust that things will stay sealed with extended vibes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts