Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi there,

so finally I had found the right carb jetting setup and I was very happy with the result, in combination with the 4 deg. Mod of my VT 1100, and the BMC air filter.

Ok. But from my very early days I always have been a tinkerer. Sometimes I failed, quite often things worked out.
So I was thinking, probably some more air for the BMC air filter would be helpful, and I thought how it would be without this nozzle. So I took some leftover metal sheet and after some time i had my first mount for the air filter. I would never mod the air box!

And as I was expecting, the mount was not stable and I got me a plate of 5 mm epoxy. This one had such a solid and hard quality, that I wasted three key hole saw blades. So I took the angle grinder. Newer had thad before and I have used epoxyd and carbon fiber plates many times. Very solid and heavy stuff. Crazy...

Some test rides have shown, that the very low end seems to have improved quite noticable. When I revved fast the air intake was definatley louder, and I think the exhaust sound has improved.

Has anyone experience with such a mod?

I've tried out the 6th groove of the needle and a DJ 165 main jet, pilot jet is 45. 6th groove is probably nonsense so I will go back to the 5th, not sure if I try the dj170 main. With groove nr. 6 and dj165 she had some hesitation or relay at higher rpm--> Too lean, 170 main jet?

thank you for your feedback!
Shadowflo
eins.jpg

zwei.jpg

drei.jpg

vier.jpg

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,836 Posts
Looks good. And if it runs better that is a plus.
A lot of guys talk about the bean box mod on their air cleaners.

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys! The problem will be to find a decent jetting, I have a bit more vibrations than before. Not sure about the mid rpm range, the very low end improved definately. Maybe I can cure it with the jetting, currently it is not perfect yet.

Before, with the original lid when I tried out the 5th groove, I had an improvement in the mid rpm range, just like the ad's claim! But, there is almost no info about such a mod for a 1100, it's not as common like with the 750, unfortunately.

I have learned that modding the air box can cause vibrations. When I eliminatet the metal mesh inside the air box I got vibrations over all rpm, especially when accellerating. So I had to improvise and put a mesh back in there. The air box design is a complicated system, an improvement may turn into worsening. That's why I did not touch the original lid!

During the test ride yesterday I had some decel pops, but fortunately I have already a 45 pilot jet and + 1/2 turn out helped.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,456 Posts
I'd definitely go a little richer on the main jets and see what happens.
That of course will have a "trickle down" effect on the mid-range too.
Air boxes are strange things you want to keep them full of air to provide the carbs under all conditions, but you don't want to introduce turbulence into the box.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,836 Posts
That is very interesting about vibration. With the box being a bit away from the carbs and there are turns for the air to make you would think anything open is better.
I wonder about putting a lip on your new plate similar to the factory lip, to start to channel air flow in smoother in a direction instead from all sides ?
Maybe slide a piece of 1/4 inch rubber hose around the top of the opening as an air director?

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,456 Posts
I tried the radiused lip approach on my Bean box mod and thought based on my previous automotive experience it would smooth the flow around the hole and there was potentially power to be gained.
I'm not sure in the end if it actually made a difference or not, I convinced myself it did, but I had no way of checking and I'm not the most sensitive tester.

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi there,

thank you for your feedback. We had a nice trip to the seaside today, not very far (45 mins) but great to have a Rostbratwurst (sausage) and ice cream and to relax a bit at the beach (Timmendorf, baltic sea), but it got fresh in the evening. I have to manage to get rid off the vibrations, they have got worse a bit. Don't know how to solve it, pretty annoying.

Changed the needle to the 5th groove, and mains to the dj170, no hesitation at higher rpm anymore. This is just an experiment, getting the bad vibes done will be tricky, but the improvement on the low end is pretty cool, really cool to be hones.
I will try out something like a big snorchel, good idea! Otherwise I take the original lid, modify it a bit. With the best setup with the normal lid I had just little vibes, and a good overall performance, I did my normal route with higher speed as usual.

1.jpg

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went back to the original lid as I was annoyed by the bad vibes. I slightly modded the original lid, turnded in the pilot screw 1/4 turn approx., and had a ride. Less vibes, don't know if it's caused by tuning the pilot screw and/or the new lid, but it's definately better. Still, the ideal adjustment of the pilot screw seems to be very important for a smooth running engine, at least it's my impression. Less noise from the intake, with the wide open lid she's got a bit loud with full throttle.

I was too lazy to change the DJ170 which I put in because with the wide open lid the carbs were running too lean with a dj165. I had some hesitation which went away with the dj170.

Now, she had some hesitation too, but more like an hiccup, must be too rich, too many threads on the spark plugs are dark. Power pickup in low rpm is still ok. Last time changing groove and jets I took me 1hr10ms in total incl. all work. As this is "beyond" my usual carb jetting and an experiment, it's not annoying but quite interesting. Opening a can of worms or opening the pandorra box must be similar 😉😜
9.jpg 10.jpg

·
Registered
151 Posts
yes, CV carbs are very sensative to air flow and turbulence.
Many remove the snorkle looking for better air flow and get drivability issues instead.
An easy way to varify a lean condition is to tape over some the air box opening rather than messing with the jetting.
If it runs better that way you can then go thru the jet routine to correct it.
jmo,
:)

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am getting better and better with the carb works, changing from dj165 to dj160 took me less then 40 minutes. What helps a lot with the rubber parts is to loosen the clamps as much as possible (so it doesn't fall apart), a hook helps too, and I put silicone oil on the rubber surfaces (seems better than grease). The carbs must be twisted and turned the right way to get them out quickly. Once you know how, it's easy.

With the modded original lid and the dj160 jet I am quite happy. Overall, she runs better as before I started all the jet works. To me jetting, Airfilter etc. are worth the work.
The DJ 165/170 and the "Lid speziale a la casa" make her, as far as I can say, pretty strong at the lower end, friggin great! I even drifted once with my (almost new) Cobra Chrome, they usually deliver some great grip 😋😀

But, at least in my case the rest of the rpm are less good (a bit) and I have more vibrations. So far, it seems I can't find a way to combine both worlds.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts