Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here have any tips for a guy about to try an airbrush for the first time? I borrowed a Paasche air brush from my Bro. He has never really used it. Got it years back and gave up on it, so I am going to try to play with it. I have some ideas using paint mask and the airbrush to do some work on the bike, but need to play around first. Just looking for some tips.

·
Registered
9,278 Posts
1. Use water based paints to learn with. This makes cleanup a LOT easier.
2. COMPLETELY clean it after every use.
3. Paint on cardboard, posterboard, plywood, whatever. Lay down a coat of rattle-can white or gray primer in-between practice paintings. You can get a LOT of mileage out of a piece of plywood that way.
4. Learn what the different tips and needles do for you.
5. Prepwork is 99% of airbrushing, IMO.
6. A good moisture trap will prevent massive wastes of effort and time. I ruined a job and had to start over once because I scrimped here.

What kind of airbrush is it? I use an internal mix, siphon feed dual-action Paasche. I mostly use it for hobby stuff but it's very useful for touch-up work around the house and garage.

·
Banned
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1. Use water based paints to learn with. This makes cleanup a LOT easier.
2. COMPLETELY clean it after every use.
3. Paint on cardboard, posterboard, plywood, whatever. Lay down a coat of rattle-can white or gray primer in-between practice paintings. You can get a LOT of mileage out of a piece of plywood that way.
4. Learn what the different tips and needles do for you.
5. Prepwork is 99% of airbrushing, IMO.
6. A good moisture trap will prevent massive wastes of effort and time. I ruined a job and had to start over once because I scrimped here.

What kind of airbrush is it? I use an internal mix, siphon feed dual-action Paasche. I mostly use it for hobby stuff but it's very useful for touch-up work around the house and garage.
I have heard the moisture trap is important, I will have to fix mine, it froze in the garage this winter.... grrrr....

The airbrush is a Paasche VL series. A quick internet search tells me this is a good beginner set. I will have to do some more searching and see what it can do, and what it is lacking. Then tomorrow, I will play.

Only thing I may disagree with you is the water based paint thing. Shouldn't I practice with the paint I will be using since all paints act differently? If I get good with a water based paint and switch to my auto paint, will I be starting at ground zero all over again?

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
I use water based paint with my airbrush for flames and graphics, etc. It's made to be cleared over when it dries. If you make a mistake when you first start out, it's easy to remove the design and start over. Then use a good clearcoat that has a hardener that you mix into it to protect you work from gas spills, etc.
There's alot of information on the net so do some research first to get some good tips and ideas before jumping in with both feet. There are some interesting videos on You Tube that will get your blood flowing so you may want to look into it first. Good luck and keep us posted with your work.

·
Banned
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good info guys. Thanks. I will play around a bit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts