Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a bike in Albuquerque, and I was wondering if there was anybody out there with some suggestions on good places to ride, or events to attend?

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
There are lots of good places to ride around ABQ. NW to the Jemez is always nice, out to the Gilman Tunnels, or up along the Turquoise Trail through NE NM. Then, there is S 14 to Mountainair, or out west and south of Grants is El Malpais, with some really nice scenery and decent roads, and you can loop back to the Ice Caves and Enscription Rock. There's also down south to the Bosque Del Apache, S of Socorro, to see the bird migration, though that may be about over by now. Also, there's down SE to the Carlsbad Caverns, though that's a bit longer ride (about 4-6 hours, depending on speed and stops), and most of that, depending on your route, is probably long, straight, flat, 'boring' roads with plenty of wind.

As far as 'rallies' go, in the Spring, there is the Red River Rally up in NE NM, which is a beautiful ride up through Santa Fe and Espanola and then Angel Fire. In July is the Fire & Ice Rally in Grants, just west of ABQ about 1-2 hours. In both the Spring and the Fall, there is a rally in Ruidoso, which is also a beautiful ride; Aspen Cash is in the Spring, and Golden Aspen in the Fall. Then, in the winter (Nov-Dec), there are the Toy Runs, of which there are a couple. I think there's even one this Saturday, though I don't have the details. There are other 'smaller' rallies in and around ABQ too, throughout the year, but I don't want to overwhelm you.

BTW, this Saturday (tomorrow) from 6-8pm, our CMA Chapter is having our Christmas party, and you're welcome to come. Let me know if you want to make it, and I'll get you the info on where and how to get there. It's potluck, with my wife bringing her 'infamous' Brisket, and we always have a 'white elephant' gift exchange, which is always fun!

·
Registered
392 Posts
I'm part of a local rider group through meetup.com. Its a good way to keep tabs on local events. Also check out the calendar page at renegadenewmexico.com which is also a great local place to get gear.

You can also shoot me a PM. I have a neighbor across the street that rides and we're usually up for rides/events.

·
Registered
4,627 Posts
I live on Hwy 4 on the way up to the Jemez mountains, one of the most beautiful rides in the area, also on the way up there is the Gilman tunnels, waterfalls, just beautiful. If you com this way let me know, I can ride up with you and show you around the area!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.