Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been putting off this issue for a while. We are almost roadworthy except for the dang blinkers. I had led in the front and regular bulbs in the back, the right rear bulb was blown, so when I turned on right blinker only right front would work. By turning on left blinker ( led in front, bulb in rear) all working blinkers, except blown rear right bulb, would flash a normal flash, not fast, normal speed. I have swapped the flasher relay for a custom LED elfr-1 led flasher relay. I have also tried putting inline led load equalizers to no avail. At this point I might just mount painted flashlights on to use as blinkers. If anyone has any advice or can point me in the right direction it would be very appreciated.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,888 Posts
If you have a single indicator bulb on the dash for the turn signals, it back feeds the other side when you have one side on. Many guys have a trick with 2 diodes that fixes it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have a single indicator bulb on the dash for the turn signals, it back feeds the other side when you have one side on. Many guys have a trick with 2 diodes that fixes it.

So one diode kit would cure the whole bike? Or would I need more? Thankyou for your time!

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
5,148 Posts
Just one kit is all you need. Just patch it in. Easy peasy

Reactions: h13man

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
743 Posts
Here's what I used...
Kuryakyn Diode Kit

Here's the kit installed...
Cable Electrical wiring Computer hardware Magenta Electronic component

The Kuryakyn kit comes with instructions.

In the meantime, you can replace both front or both rear blinkers with the old bulbs and the system should work properly. Also, you shouldn't need the resisters. They're for equalizing the load for a standard flasher relay.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Been several write-ups on this in the last 6 months. do a search of the forum. The kit is just 2 diodes, some heat-shrink tubing and a couple feet of wire. Practically any diode rated for 1 amp and 12V or more will work. An industry standard 1N4002 diode is plenty heavy-duty enough.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
The first step would be to replace the burned out bulb in the rear. Then put standard bulbs in the front. If all works then just do the diode fix. Oh yeah,,,get rid of the load resisters, they negate the benefit of the power savings of LED’s.

I just bought some diodes at Radio Shack and soldered them in, no need to spend extra money for the same thing wrapped in plastic with general instructions. There is plenty of info on the forum to do this, that is where i got the info to do it about four years ago.

Eric

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: KCochran and h13man
1 - 8 of 8 Posts